Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is this supposed to click when plugged in?

I have an '05 Daybreak 3270. I'm not even sure what this is called or even do I really know for sure what it does or suppose to do but when I'm plugged in to AC power this (where I have the pencil pointing) clicks every 20 or 40 seconds. I don't know if it's done this since it was new or not but I just noticed it in the last 6 months or so. I have not found any thing that does'nt seem to work right. My converter charges both my house and chassis batteries and I have no battery problems. Come to think of it , I have never needed the emergency start button and have never used it. I assume and hope that it works if I do need it.
I'm hoping other Damon owners may have a similar setup and can let me know what it does and if it is normal for it to click when plugged in.
Thanks, Max

Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had the same problem on my 2003 Rexhall. it is a solenoid that switches current from one bank to the other i was told. Fixed it by replacing the solenoid. Don't know if it was just old, burned out, shorted or what ever but, replacing it cured the problem. Couldn't find anyone who could tell me how to test it. It was driving me nutz. if I remember right it is a Ford starter solenoid. good luck...ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
YC1

That is a very simple solenoid. The little terminals are the on/off switch part. The large posts are the current passing contacts. The little terminals are nothing more than a simple electromagnet. The magnet is energized by applying ground to one side and power to the other. You issue is probably the control circuit. To sort it out simply place a test light or a voltmeter on each of the little terminals while it is clicking. If the test light goes on an off while testing the little terminals it is something from the control system. I will see if I can find a schematic that makes some sense. If someone has one it would only take a minute to diagnose. The large black one above it is probably a latching type solenoid that combines the battery banks. Not sure why there would be the silver one as well.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #4
YC1

http://www.metrotrekkers.org/utility/electrical.htm

This is a fun interactive site. May help you get a clearer picture.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:06 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The unit is part of the Battery Control Center. It is the isolator relay that ties the Chassis battery to the Coach Batteries. The relay is normally energized when the coach engine is running - charges the coach batteries, or is energized when the coach battery buss is greater than 12.8 VDC (converter in charging mode) charging the chassis battery, or is energized when in aux start mode. If the VDC system voltage changes due to load or the converter is changing output voltages (charge modes) this relay may cycle as needed. Its normal. JM2¢...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a '00 Rexhall that does that also. I've wondered why sometimes, but I go by the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule. According to "teddyu"s response, maybe it should cycle during normal operation.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks guys, I'll do some more reseach and testing. I've had the coach since new but never noticed the clicking until 6 months or a year ago. Come to think of it that was about the same time I bought new house batteries and the "Charge Wizard" from Progressive Dynamics to make my converter a "smart" charger that varies the voltage including desulfation mode. I hope this is normal but I wonder if that on/off clicking is hard on the isolation relay solenoid or whatever it's called. Maybe I should get a spare.
BTW, I really like the charge wizard, I haven't had to add water to the batteries since they were new but at the same time I got the charge wizard. Don't know for sure if it's the wizard or new batteries but I had to add water once a month with the old ones and they got all that white corrosion on them and I now don't get that any more.
Denver, Colorado
Old 12-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
YC1

What is the speed of the clicking. Occassionally or every 30 seconds or so. I cannot imagine where it should change states very often. If you do the voltage measurements as suggested you will at least know if the solenoid is changing because of input voltage or it may be dropping out due to a failing coil. If the control voltages on the small terminals stay solid and the relay clicks it is bad. As an ET it would drive me buggy to not know the reason.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
What is the speed of the clicking. Occassionally or every 30 seconds or so.
I'd say every 30 seconds would be close. I'll check closer but I don't think it starts clicking right away, maybe it as to be charging for awhile. I cannot imagine where it should change states very often. If you do the voltage measurements as suggested you will at least know if the solenoid is changing because of input voltage or it may be dropping out due to a failing coil.
Failing coil? Is this coil in the solenoid or else where?

To sort it out simply place a test light or a voltmeter on each of the little terminals while it is clicking. If the test light goes on an off while testing the little terminals it is something from the control system. If the control voltages on the small terminals stay solid and the relay clicks it is bad.
Does that mean 2 test lights going from ground and one to each terminal at the same time or is one side hot all the time?
As an ET it would drive me buggy to not know the reason.
I agree but you really never know it's clicking unless you have the hood open and working in there while it's plugged in.
I don't really know if this Charge Wizard
PD9105, PD9105G Charge Wizard has any thing to do with it or not.
It's dark and cold when I get home from work so it'll probably have to wait til this weekend.
Thank you all for helping
Denver, Colorado
Old 12-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The charge wizard says it charges @ 14, 13.6 or 13.2 volts. Could this mean that when the battery reaches 13.2 volts it cuts off and when it drops below 13.2 volts, it turns back on? This might be a logical explanation for it clicking every 30 or 40 seconds.
Denver, Colorado
Old 12-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some battery control centers are very "Smart" and read the voltage on both chassis and house batteries..IF the battery voltage is high enough (indicating a charging state) it will cross connect the batteries so both sets charge..... however if the "non-source" battery is low enough, it can suck down the system voltage so the isolator thinks it should isolate.

Or it can suck enough amps to trip a thermal breaker.

Usually this happens when the engine is doing the charging. however no reason it can't happen on shore power.

When the voltage drops. the isolator "Drops" the 2nd battery.

That said.. If it continues beyond a few minutes. not normal.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyu View Post
The unit is part of the Battery Control Center. It is the isolator relay that ties the Chassis battery to the Coach Batteries. The relay is normally energized when the coach engine is running - charges the coach batteries, or is energized when the coach battery buss is greater than 12.8 VDC (converter in charging mode) charging the chassis battery, or is energized when in aux start mode. If the VDC system voltage changes due to load or the converter is changing output voltages (charge modes) this relay may cycle as needed. Its normal. JM2¢...
my tuscany does the same thing, it seems to cycle off about an hr after hooking up, then periodically after that
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #13
YC1

The charge wizard is just a smart device for the charger. It has no external controls to run a solenoid.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
YC1,

Your absolutely correct, there are no external controls to run a solenoid. An Intellitec BCC uses a BIRD to control the Isolator Relay activation/de-activation. The BIRD senses either the Auxiliary Battery Buss, not the Auxiliary Batteries, or if the ingition is ON, the Chassis Battery Buss, not the Chassis Battery. The Alternator or the Converter when operating can be sensed by the BIRD and operate the Isolator Relay. It is a inherent characteristic of the product. JM2¢...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote