Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2007, 08:12 AM   #1

Woody here, wanted to say hello to the other Damon owners and get things rolling with a question.

I am new to MH's and have 1049 miles on my unit. Was wondering if anyone has installed a CB in their rig and if so where did you install the antena?

W&D+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2007, 08:12 AM   #2

Woody here, wanted to say hello to the other Damon owners and get things rolling with a question.

I am new to MH's and have 1049 miles on my unit. Was wondering if anyone has installed a CB in their rig and if so where did you install the antena?

Old 03-28-2007, 08:53 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you don't mind, I'd like to cross link this to the CB and Ham radio forum to get more exposure. The problem of adding an antenna is not unique to any one motorhome.

I personally have used a through the glass mount on a class C and it worked well. You can't use the cheapie Camping World antenna...it is pretty much junk. You can also use a no-ground plane antenna used on fiberglass boats. I did have a short top loaded _FireStick on another coach. You have to mae sure you get it grounded to the frame of the motorhome though.

Ant time you add an antenna to a motorhome you have to be careful about the height or you will be banging it on everything around.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:50 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Having good luck with this all in one handheld CB its on sale now for $99 at CW in their new master cat.

I have a CB ant already installed on my coach BUT did have on a Bounder one of those thru the glass ones that worked very well. Was able to bring cable down the "A" channel by windshield to control battery box under the dash.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:51 PM   #5

I was really hoping to avoid those thru the glass types. I already have a wilson 1000 magnetic antenna but for the life of cant locate a spot to stick it LOL (the wife had some suggestions). I do have the corner mount mirrors and I know that wilsin makes a mirror mount model, has anyone had any luck with those?

Old 03-28-2007, 06:33 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, I will say hello as well, I drive a 2005 Intruder 377 with something like 4 2-way radios installed in it (2 cb 2 ham) and both of the ham rigs are "Duals"

Lots of fun I'm also WA8YXM

Oh, you asked how to mount a CB antenna. I have b oth CB and Ham rigs in the ride. My main 'Driving' Ham rig is a Kenwood TM-733 dual band (VHF/UFH) feeding a Diamond dual band "no ground plane" antenna mounted on one of the mirror arms. The only problem I had is this, the mirror arm is VERY thick base metal I had to drill through it then machine the "inside" of the tube (It is a tube) to get the single-hole antenna mount to fit

The cb antenna is also a "No ground plane" one from Radio Shack ... I stuck it behind the couch.

Not a lot of range but then I'm not looking for range on CB, I'm looking for range on HAM

I also have a 2nd ham rig (Wilson WE-800) on 146.52 sitting in the map pocket using it's "Rubber duck" and a 2nd cb on 13 with a stubby anttenna that is not worth (Term deleted) hiding down in a cargo bay. Again, I'm not looking for range with that one, I need range I use the main unit.

And my main ham shack back in the foreward head (Half bath) so if you got to go during your qso you don't have far to go to go. (Ok, that is bad) It is a small room I can close the door on, only such room in the house on wheels. Plus the power distribution panels are in the wall of that room (Very important when installing high draw stuff like TS-2000's)
Old 03-28-2007, 07:12 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello W&D+3 and other Damons owners.
I have an '05 Daybreak with a drivers door. I bought a bracket for the CB antenna from Flying J, and mounted it with the existing screw holes in the door frame. It's screwed into the aluminum structure so it is actualy grounded. I just ran the wires in the weather stripping and out the door at the base of the antenna. It works good if you're not too far away.
My factory installed AM/FM radio has probably the worst reception of any vehicle radio I've ever owned. I wish I knew how to fix it. When it was under warranty I took it in and they ordered a new radio and it was exactly the same, just as I suspected. Any of you guys disappointed with how your radio works?
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:11 AM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As I posted earlier on a similar question, I use the cheap thru the glass CB antenna sold by Campng World. It may not be the best, but for me it is OK and did not require drilling holes...I always look for a no-hole installation first.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:11 PM   #9

HELLO i HAVE A 2006 INTRUDER 373 THE RADIO ANTENNA WAS FACTORY MOOUNTED. WOULD LLIKE TO MOUNT CB BUT LIKE YOU WOULD NOT LIKE TO DRILL HOLES NO NEED TO CREAT A PLACE FOR A LEAK. dEKKER
dekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:19 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good morning!

I had the same experience in my 2002. I removed the left A-post cover and found that the antenna extension cable was not connected - you might want to check out that connection (which I found near the bottom of the post). It improved the FM reception immensely and did nothing for AM (which I think does not like the horizontally oriented antenna). Dealer replaced radio and I paid a few extra bucks for an upgrade which did not solve the AM reception problem - 4 years later I still have no AM.

Hopefully someone will have some ideas

Preston

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
My factory installed AM/FM radio has probably the worst reception of any vehicle radio I've ever owned. I wish I knew how to fix it. When it was under warranty I took it in and they ordered a new radio and it was exactly the same, just as I suspected. Any of you guys disappointed with how your radio works? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All of the best and safe driving,
prsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:04 AM   #11

Woody,
I was having a crank up dish installed at the dealers and had them put on a CB antena while I was spending money.
They put a fiberglass one close to the radio antena and mounted it at an angle leaning toward the rear of the RV. They removed the corner molding and ran the cord down it to the floor board. I mounted my CB on the side where the drivers door would be if I had one. It is mounted verticaly against the paneling. Very convient to operate. Have a hook on the CB thanks the mike fits in. I did put some silicone on the outside when I noticed that they failed to.