RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2013, 07:46 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
My alternator charges both sets of batteries by design but due to a isolator delay failure the alt only charges the engine batteries. This is the third failure of the part so now I just leave it as is. Alternator charges engine battery only unless I connect them via the boost switch ( pried open with a bear cap). This design should give the alternator a long healthy life.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
Here is the brand of power converter/charger that is installed on my Outlaw:

Here is info from the mfg.:
PD9200 Series RV Power Converters

And a remote that gives you more control of the unit:
PD92201 Remote Pendant

Focker,

I thought the ProgressiveDyn and the Battery Minder both did the same jobs.

Is there a problem with your ProgressiveDyn? We did you need/want both?

Thanks
Old 01-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #45

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Despite the fact the Progressive is a multi level charger, it is clear my batteries were not being maintained as they should have been. Maybe the Progressive doesn't do a good job of sensing what the level of charge should be and/or maybe be doesn't desulfate as well as the BatteryMinder? Thinking further on this now that you have mentioned it, maybe the Progressive isn't working and needs to be serviced. I wonder if there is a good way to test it?
I do know I had my couch shore powered for the entire month since I arrived home from purchasing it (with new batteries installed at time of purchase) and yet both batteries were low on water and low on charge level as indicated by a hydrometer.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
I understand that they are pro-active and good about
addressing issues.

Let us know what they tell you.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #47

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I got one of these for $10 which should tell me how the Inteli-Power is performing. It is very small, about 1.25 inches by 2 inches.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #48
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I got one of these for $10 which should tell me how the Inteli-Power is performing. It is very small, about 1.25 inches by 2 inches.

Scott,

I've got the same charger/converter. Very interested in what your new little toy does

WooHoo - That's 1001 posts!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #49

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Reporting back on this, the indicator lights seem to show that everything is working great with the PD unit and the batteries haven't lost any water since filling them last month and using the Battery Minder. Either the batteries were installed from the dealer with too little water or the unit was not working properly before and I can't say which. It is nice to have the little Pendant to know exactly what is happening and worth the $10 to me.
I will continue to use the Battery Minder with the batteries disconnected (via the button in the RV) when the coach is at home just to keep them in top condition since the BM seems to work well.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #50
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Reporting back on this, the indicator lights seem to show that everything is working great with the PD unit and the batteries haven't lost any water since filling them last month and using the Battery Minder. Either the batteries were installed from the dealer with too little water or the unit was not working properly before and I can't say which. It is nice to have the little Pendant to know exactly what is happening and worth the $10 to me.
I will continue to use the Battery Minder with the batteries disconnected (via the button in the RV) when the coach is at home just to keep them in top condition since the BM seems to work well.
The batteryminder is very sensitive. So, that will give you the best maint. for the long term...I have one on my '00 Buell that has it's original battery!

I also have one that was "tuned" for Optima (AGM) batteries to use in my truck that sits longer than I would like between uses...according to the company, there is some difference is the way AGM batteries need to be maintained.

Did you mount the pendant inside the RV somewhere or is it in the power bin with the converter/charger?

Thanks for the feedback
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 02-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #51

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I mounted the pendant on same wall as the PD unit just above and to the right of it.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #52
Dry

Damon Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I was curious, if you are connected to shore power, and want to do a monthly generator run, will it hurt anything to run the generator while on shore power?
Old 03-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry
I was curious, if you are connected to shore power, and want to do a monthly generator run, will it hurt anything to run the generator while on shore power?
Opinions vary. Conventional wisdom says there will be less stress on the transfer switch if you turn off any large amp loads and unplug first.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #54
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry View Post
Dry,
Some Outlaws are wired different...like Vi has a cigar lighter outlet on the passenger side that is connected to the house battery, but mine is on the chassis battery like the outlet in the dash.

So, about running the gennie while still connected to shore power...
The crossover switch on my Outlaw "favors" shore power, so a gennie run only freewheels the gennie. I have to cut shore power to put a load on the gennie.

The monthly generator run should include putting a load on it to work and dry out the coils in the element of the actual generator part of the gennie.

Otherwise there is no risk in starting the gennie while still on shore power, that I am aware of. If there was a problem, I would bet Damon would have put a sticker somewhere about it. And, what if your house battery was low and unable to start the gennie, needing shore power on the converter/charger...you can start the gennie - cut the shore power - and go.

Best luck.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 03-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #55
Dry

Damon Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
OK, how about the other side?

I accidentally killed my engine battery, and the aux start didn't work.
So I plugged into the house to try and recharge it.

So the question is, do you think it would hurt anything if I turned on the engine while plugged in?

I know logic dictates it would be the same answer, but I just wondered if you knew something about it.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:54 PM   #56
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry View Post
OK, how about the other side?

I accidentally killed my engine battery, and the aux start didn't work.
So I plugged into the house to try and recharge it.

So the question is, do you think it would hurt anything if I turned on the engine while plugged in?

I know logic dictates it would be the same answer, but I just wondered if you knew something about it.
Yes, you could do that and I did exactly that this past weekend, so I could check a mod I just did.

The battery crossover switch should favor the engine alternator as soon as the engine cranks up.

And, if you know/prove that you can charge the chassis battery with the shore power (converter/charger) then that's good...mine didn't work right when I first go it - alternator wouldn't charge the house batteries either - just had a blown fuse under the hood.

Best of luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV

Tags
batteries