Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2011, 08:29 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Locked in!!

This weekend on Saturday I managed to get myself and my grandsons locked into the RV.

I post this both as a heads up and a hilarious story.

What happened is the latch mechanism broke, leaving no way to pull the latch back. I had managed to get it carefully disassembled from the inside to no avail. From new the latch mechanism had always made the door very difficult to close more than once I had to close it repeatedly to get it closed all the way. The new mechanism closes like a dream.

Fortunately it happened before noon and I happened to be near the store of a friend, he sells horse trailers. He actually had to remove the door frame and all to get it open. My wife said it was like I was running a concession stand out of the Motorhome.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2011, 08:35 AM   #2

Couldn't you get out the emergency exit?
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:36 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I had the same thing happen to me a couple of years ago. I am still afraid that it will happen again. I wrote trimetric lock and asked if there was a better way but they didn't even answer me. The latch is made of white medal and just not strong enough. Really how much more would it added to the lock for the latch to have been made a little stronger. I now leave a window unlocked whenever we leave . We had a heck of a time getting my door open and I really thought we were going to destroy it. Another had the same problem and he drilled through the lock from the outside and was able to pull the spring out and then pull the latch back to get it to unlock. If it ever happens again to me I beleive that is what I will try to do.
darbyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:51 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by darbyjudy View Post
I had the same thing happen to me a couple of years ago. I am still afraid that it will happen again. I wrote trimetric lock and asked if there was a better way but they didn't even answer me. The latch is made of white medal and just not strong enough. Really how much more would it added to the lock for the latch to have been made a little stronger. I now leave a window unlocked whenever we leave . We had a heck of a time getting my door open and I really thought we were going to destroy it. Another had the same problem and he drilled through the lock from the outside and was able to pull the spring out and then pull the latch back to get it to unlock. If it ever happens again to me I beleive that is what I will try to do.

better still the pall that pulls the white metal latch back it is made of plastic.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:43 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John H... View Post
Couldn't you get out the emergency exit?
If need be, but I just put in a movie until help arrived.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:02 AM   #6

I understand... Not really an emergency!!!
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by darbyjudy View Post
I now leave a window unlocked whenever we leave .
Not necessary, not that difficult to get a locked Motor home window open. I have locked it with my keys in it more than I care to admit.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:14 AM   #8

This happend to us on our vacation last week. I was able to get the attention of a camp site neighbor and he provided a step later. Me, the dog and girlfriend exited the emergency fire window. (08 Damon Daybreak). Having read this post a few weeks ago I remembered some detail which helped me extract, originaly (1) piece now (2) piece bolt. I disassemble the lock from the inside of the coach and removed the plastic part that pulls the bolt out of the latch, then removed the spring, then applied (JB-weld) to the edge of the broken part that I had access to. Then I attempeted to make the (2) pieces bond. after two attempts and about 6 hrs of set and bond time I was able to pull the bolt from the latch. I was surprised at the design of the pot metal bolt, and I am concerned that if I install a new one its only a matter of time before the new one will break. I think I'll look into alternatives. We used the dead bolt for the rest of the trip which requires a key from the outside, sort of inconvenient.

I keep my tools in the basement which is only accesable from the exterior, I'll change that now keeping a few inside the coach.
Red Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:22 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
This happend to us on our vacation last week. I was able to get the attention of a camp site neighbor and he provided a step later. Me, the dog and girlfriend exited the emergency fire window. (08 Damon Daybreak). Having read this post a few weeks ago I remembered some detail which helped me extract, originaly (1) piece now (2) piece bolt. I disassemble the lock from the inside of the coach and removed the plastic part that pulls the bolt out of the latch, then removed the spring, then applied (JB-weld) to the edge of the broken part that I had access to. Then I attempeted to make the (2) pieces bond. after two attempts and about 6 hrs of set and bond time I was able to pull the bolt from the latch. I was surprised at the design of the pot metal bolt, and I am concerned that if I install a new one its only a matter of time before the new one will break. I think I'll look into alternatives. We used the dead bolt for the rest of the trip which requires a key from the outside, sort of inconvenient.

I keep my tools in the basement which is only accesable from the exterior, I'll change that now keeping a few inside the coach.
Mine was always hard to get to close and sometimes open. The new latch, although expensive, $125.00, it works fantastic.

My tools are in the basement too, but almost always have a screw driver on hand.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #10

Wife and I left our 02 Intruder with the dogs inside. Somehow they managed to get the screen door portal slider moved over, and by pawing at the door, they pressed the lock button.

Since the key to that door lock went missing long ago (we only use the deadbolt), when we returned, we were locked out - with doggies inside. Fortunately, the bedroom slider window was not locked. We slid the (very heavy) campground composite material picnic table under the slider, and squeezed through the window. 20 min later I had the lock disassembled, and gutted the locking mechanism.
erkme73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:38 PM   #11

About 5 years ago, a friend of mine and I went fishing. Wifes stayed at the camp site. Friend's wife some how locked their 5er with their dogs inside. My wife used our compartment key (our front door key would not work for their 5er) on their basement compartment, friend's wife crawled into the basement,up their laundry chute into the coach and unlocked the door. Good thing she was tiny.
Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote