Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2008, 08:29 PM   #1

Has anyone ever secured the OEM motorcycle tie down rails that are supplied with the Outlaw? Mine were not secured by the dealership. He stated that they didn't do that because they didn't want to do it and then find out that it was not the way the customer wanted. Probably just a company answer and has more to do with insurance and litigation.
Anyway, I have two questions. First - did you use all the screws that were provided in the kit. It looks like there's over one hundred of them? Second - On the drivers side of the rig. Did you move the rail in slightly to avoid the fuel filler indentation on that side or did you break the rail in to two pieces and mount it closer to the wall?
I really don't think I want to screw up the installation. We're talking about securing my babies back there.
Cowboy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2008, 12:57 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Makes sense why the dealer or factory does not install them, how do they know what you are hauling. We have a golf cart and motorcycle, so I put one each on the outer edge of the garage, then the middle one I put off-center so I could carry the bike and cart at the same time. You might do something different for hauling ATVs.

No, I did not use all of the screws. I used every other hole. Its not going anywhere!!

I cut the rail into two pieces to get it close to the edge (mostly becuase I needed the width for the cart).

I will try to take some pictures and post them in the next day or so.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:05 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
One other thing, I highly recommend a wheel chock to help lock down the M/C. Here is the one I have...

Condor-Lift

Just drive right in, jump off and strap down the bars!!
Old 02-02-2009, 08:40 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My dealer installed my tie downs without my knowing before pick-up. Surprisingly, I like the location and length.
The used the entire track starting at the front of the garage to the
rear. One down the middle and the sides are 8 1/2 inch from the wall.
The location works for my big harley and what ever else I carry on the other side. I do have a Bike Pro (wheel chalk) to capture the front wheel. I chose the bike pro because it does not have the long bars sticking out the sides to trip over. My bike is tied down on the drivers side and the lowering of the storage lid does not interfer or touch the bike.
I use the excess track in front and behind the bike to tie down other things like my dogs fence, tables, etc. My 10x10 pop up shelter lays down between the wall and the track perfectly.

I plan to purchase smaller tracks (alum) used with push pins locks on a side wall to secure thins upright against the wall.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:22 PM   #5

I just installed the 3 pieces of E track in my Outlaw 3612. I ran one piece against each wall and one down the middle. It took several hours and 360 screws.....be glad your dealer installed them for you!
Jemc02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #6

Thanks for all the responses guys. I will definately be looking for a set of wheel chocks. That's a great idea. As for the rail on the drivers side I'm still up in the air about splitting it where the gas fill spout interrupts the floor.
Do any of you know what weight the straps are rated for that were provided by Damon. I guess they'll hold my Goldwing, approx. 900 lbs. with fluids. Doggy Daddy, how much does your HOG weigh? That Bike Pro chock looks like a good one. Did you use the removable chock or did you mount it permenently? I thinking that I want it removable because I will be using the garage area as a bedroom also. I had my Outlaw equipped with the optional queen bed.
Cowboy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:07 PM   #7

Cowboy,

I have "heard" that the E-track system, properly installed, can handle WAY more weight than our Outlaws can hold. I bought tiedown rings for the system that are rated at 3000#'s and 5000#'s. I plan on securing my two motorcycles down with the 3000# rings on the outside tracks and use the 5000# rings for the center track. I found some 2" ratchet straps that have a working load strength of 1,000#'s and a breaking strength of 3000#'s each.

We own a VStar 1300 Tourer that weighs in the 700# range and a Honda Shadow that weighs in around 600#'s.

I figure that I could hang either bike from ONE of the ratchet straps from ANY of the E-Track rings and still be below the weight rating of the system. Since each bike will be secured with 4 straps I should be fine. And if I have a situation that allows a 700# bike to break this system I have a lot bigger problems than a bike on its side in the garage...lol.
Jemc02 is offline   Reply With Quote