RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Woodieboys View Post
We've slowly been replacing our standard bulbs with LED's as they go with one major exception. Has anyone replaced their halogen G4 base bulbs (10 or 20 amp) with LED's. They pull the most juice and create the most heat in our coach and they are everywhere in the ceiling (on dimmers as well).
YES, we just started doing this recently. I spent alot of time investigating before buying since we wanted a bulb that a) was at least as bright as the originals and b) was a "warm" color (I can't stand the white-blue color of some LEDs).

We bought these ones from LED Wholesalers through Amazon:
Amazon.com: Disc Type G4 Base Side Pin 10 SMD LED, 10 Watt Holagen 140 Lumen Bulb Replacemnt For RV Camper Trailer Boat Marine Warm White, 1109WW: Home Improvement

VERY happy with the results. The LED version is actually brighter than our original 10 Watt G4's...in fact they're about as bright as the 20 Watt G4's that we have in select locations in the coach. Also, the color (warm white) is very, very close to the original (slightly whiter, but not by much).

We've just bought an additional bunch of these. I went with more of the 10 SMD versions and I'm going to try some of the dimmer 6 SMD versions as well (for accent lighting).

We have a Trimetric and our power usage on these LEDs is 1/10 of the original. They use about 0.1 Amp each. They run very cool too (compared to our v.hot original G4s)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2011, 11:21 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Show us the results, would be interesting to compare them with the OP photos.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:34 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1BUD View Post
Show us the results, would be interesting to compare them with the OP photos.
Oh, you folks are just so demanding

Here's a pic I just took. The LED (10 SMD) version is on the left. An original 20 Watt G4 halogen is on the right. My overly-sensitive/critical eye sees the LED version as about the same brightness, but with slightly different color-cast (very slight!). My hubby can't see any difference at all.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
leds

Been following this thread and looked at the pics on amazon.com, I thought they were replacements for the original bulbs, these looked as they had to be wired in, is that right?
pjtaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtaxi View Post
Been following this thread and looked at the pics on amazon.com, I thought they were replacements for the original bulbs, these looked as they had to be wired in, is that right?
Not sure if this was directed at me (for the G4s) or at the OP. If it's for me, I just plugged the LEDs directly into the same socket as the old halogen G4s. No wiring or anything special needed.

This is what a G4 looks like

And this is what the LED replacement looks like:

The bulbs use a 2-pin socket which slots right in.

Nina
Old 02-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Great photo's!

Seems that the whiter light of LED's will change the color of the interior of your coach..

Hmmm .....an unintentional consequence......
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinTD View Post
Mavric65,

Do you have a trimetric? If not, could you possibly use an amp meter and let us know what the draw is on those lights? I've heard sometimes they don't live up to their power use claims...

Also, just eyeball wise, how is the light intensity compared to the incandescents you replaced?
i haven't checked the amp draw my main reason for change was all the heat off the old bulbs and the color spectrum....... when i took out the old bulbs i could see the spots in the fixture that were slightly scorched and now these bulbs are cool so i don't have to worry about a possible fire.... and as far as the light output i think its about the same but if you want it brighter one can get a bulb with more LEDs on it.....
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:23 PM   #22
KIX

Is there a "ratio" to use when going from incandescent to LED so that you can get the LED with the same amount of light output as the old incandesce?
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post

Here's a pic I just took. The LED (10 SMD) version is on the left. An original 20 Watt G4 halogen is on the right. My overly-sensitive/critical eye sees the LED version as about the same brightness, but with slightly different color-cast (very slight!). My hubby can't see any difference at all.
What about "hi-low dimmers"? Do these work with the dimmers. I do not mean reostats(?)

Don
Old 02-03-2011, 09:10 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye

What about "hi-low dimmers"? Do these work with the dimmers. I do not mean reostats(?)

Don
Ah do not know. Sorry. We don't have any dimmers in the coach. These ones are made to handle wide voltage range (10-30 V), but no idea if that allows for dimming.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX
Is there a "ratio" to use when going from incandescent to LED so that you can get the LED with the same amount of light output as the old incandesce?
You want to try to match the lumens outputs on the bulbs. A higher lumens number means a brighter bulb. So try to find the lumens of the bulb you're currently using and then buy an LED version with the same rating. Not all LEDs are accurately rated but they should be relatively close to their spec.

Also make sure you look at the color of the LED. Vendors will sell a range of colors which are usually specified in K. The higher the K number the more 'cool' the light. So a 5000K bulb will be very white (= cool..nearer blue range of the spectrum) whereas a 3000K bulb will be warmer (= more yellow color). I personally prefer the warmer light.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #26
KIX

Quote:
You want to try to match the lumens outputs on the bulbs. A higher lumens number means a brighter bulb. So try to find the lumens of the bulb you're currently using and then buy an LED version with the same rating. Not all LEDs are accurately rated but they should be relatively close to their spec.
So, lumens is the common denominator.........I was hoping they used something like watts ie. 3 watt LED is approx. equal to a 45 watt incandescent. That would make it way too easy, huh?

ONe more question..........a lot of mohos used an adjustable small "spot" light that uses a bayonet base bulb that looks like I very small flood light like you would find outside many houses. Any idea where to get these in LED? Thanks
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #27

Quote:

There is a difference for sure in the colour (sorry this is the Canadian way) that each light casts but it's so much better then a typical blue or white hues that an LED casts. Those are really good, thanx for the post.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX
ONe more question..........a lot of mohos used an adjustable small "spot" light that uses a bayonet base bulb that looks like I very small flood light like you would find outside many houses. Any idea where to get these in LED? Thanks
These are the next lights I'm looking to replace. There are several places that sell them (e.g. superbrightleds has some), but I would love to hear feedback from anyone that's actually tried them. Mine are 1383 bulbs. Anyone replaced these?