Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #1

New Purchase Of Damon Intruder

I recently purchased a 1996 Damon Intruder. What I found out after the sale is that Florida does not require an actual mileage of a coach older than 10 years old. Thus it is classified as "EXEMPT" status. Needless to say I was shocked and never heard of such a thing. At this point I have no idea the actual mileage on this unit. The speedometer shows 19,000 miles and it is a 6 digit odometer. It does go on to say that "IF" the speedometer has been changed then it would have had to be reported to FL DMV. Nothing on the title stated that it was ever changed.

Anyone else come across this?

Thanks in advance
BACKDRAFT161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I have seen coaches with low mileage. That sat in campground as seasonal or the owner just did not use it much. I have an acquaintance who uses his coach on only two weekends a year and one 10 day vacation. To set your mind at easy, you could have a compression test done and do an detailed oil analysis.
LemonAide

We had a Intruder years ago and loved it.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #3

I purchased a 2000 Intruder in November last year with only 16,000 miles on it, Being a mechanic, I was fortunate to be able to recognize signs of high or low milage on my cursory inspection. I was satisfied the mileage was true. This was confirmed when I got home and removed the wheels to check the brakes and other components for a safety inspection which is required in Ontario when licensing a used vehicle. The drivetrain, steering., brakes, fuel and brake lines etc were in virtually snowroom condition. There was some rust on the underside of the vehicle frame which would be normal from sitting in a moist climate. This unit spent most of it's life in a florida RV park as well. I'm 100% certain that I got a good deal low-mileage RV.
The steering and suspensio are tight hnadles like a new unit.
I agree wit hthe previous comments, most of these units spend the lives either parked at a resort or for one or two short trips per year. Occasionally you will get a high miler from someone who travelled the continent, I expectthat mine will fall into the high miler category.
Cheers Les aka hicksie.
hicksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #4

Congrats! got any pics?
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #5

Hi Jon I do have some pictures as you can see I repainted the one (Cherry) stripe installed a flat panel 32" and Allure flooring in the kitchen livingroom area. I hope they upload OK. This weekend we're off on our "maiden " voyage not far but it's a good time to check to ensure we are takingthe proper inventory.
Cheers Hicksie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010004.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	396.1 KB
ID:	39083   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010009.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	350.1 KB
ID:	39084  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010007.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	39085  
Old 05-20-2013, 05:24 PM   #6

Well the Maiden voyage went well, "This weekend we're off on our "maiden " voyage not far but it's a good time to check to ensure we are taking the proper inventory" we were parked in a spot where we had to rely on the M/H 100% - no hook-ups, everything worked very well, I was amazed at how cold the fridge got I set it a 5 and it made ice fairly quickly, water heater, furnace, batteries, generator were all fine, I would start the Generator up first thing in the morning for about an hour to make coffee, and toast and recharge the batteries and then again in the evening before turning in, to watch a DVD before crashing for the night. Fuel mileage was reasonable averaged 8 MPG which included the gas used running the generator. The highway was a 2 lane with a few rolling hills but I was able to maintain average speeds between 50 MPH - 65MPH.
Next trip will be with the car towed behind on the dolly, this one will be to an RV park with all hook-ups. Again 2 lane highway with some pretty long hills which will be a test and help me to decide if I will need to install 5-star tuning or similar device. Although I find the V-10 to have decent power especially if I use the overdrive switch to kick it into a lower gear to keep the RPM's up.
"living the dream"
Hicksie.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #7

black tanks clean?

First chance you get, take it to a campground that has full hook ups. Especially water and sewer. You will want to check and make sure that the black and grey tanks are clean. Best way to do that is to get a sewer connection that is clear. That way you will be able to make sure the black and grey tanks are clean.

Don't just dump them once and think you are done. If it doesn't run clear clean water, you will need to do it until it is. This is the most overlooked thing besides tire pressures that get checked properly.

There are video's on utube that are most helpful for showing the correct way to check and flash your tanks.

Other than a light gauge, do you know when your tanks are full? What is the sign to look for? Be sure NOT to overfill your black water tank or you will see poop coming off your roof thru the vent pipe. That could spoil a camping trip. LOL Hysterical laughter coming from your neighbors....NOT!

Hope this helps
BACKDRAFT161 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damon, purchase