RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #15
Community Administrator
 
Scarab0088's Avatar


 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 19,204
I liked the idea of the extra e-track(s) just like Mack installed...just haven't had the need (yet). I wasn't intending to tie down a quad or anything with wall straps, but just to keep stuff off my bike while driving. Mack, can you recall the spacing of the "studs" if they were evenly spaced?

About the ladder...did anyone else notice that the (new) Newmar 3920 Toyhauler has a ladder? Looks like they mounted it in a way to be removed (and placed in the garage) when the ramp is down. I was thinking that might be a possibility, 'cuz nothing else seems to make sense.

Opinions?
__________________
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
DGShaffer's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,098
Someone should invent a removable ladder
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ladder.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	20094  
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
BpK9Miami's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hollywood Beach, FL & New Braunfels, TX
Posts: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
I liked the idea of the extra e-track(s) just like Mack installed...just haven't had the need (yet). I wasn't intending to tie down a quad or anything with wall straps, but just to keep stuff off my bike while driving. Mack, can you recall the spacing of the "studs" if they were evenly spaced?

About the ladder...did anyone else notice that the (new) Newmar 3920 Toyhauler has a ladder? Looks like they mounted it in a way to be removed (and placed in the garage) when the ramp is down. I was thinking that might be a possibility, 'cuz nothing else seems to make sense.

Opinions?
I don't recall the spacing off hand, but if I can take some time before traveling this week (without the HH - ) I'll see if I can pick out the metal screws and take some measurements.

Don - why am I not surprised you just happened to have a thumbnail of a ladder? You could remove something like that and suspend it from the ceiling during travel maybe? OR, reduce the size, place the mount over the drivers side, in front of the slide, and save some additional inches (and cost?).

I looked at that ladder on the Newmar and it looked pretty narrow to me and they are not as high as our roof line so I'm not sure we could modify them enough to make them work...although - this is a mighty creative bunch so I guess I shouldn't go there!
__________________
Dan (Mack) (Former Outlaw owner, looking for a new ride!), w/2012 F150 FX4 and a 2012 Street Glide.
https://hulahutrvmods.blogspot.com
BpK9Miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
DGShaffer's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,098
This was a quick draft using dimensions off the top of my pointy head. My thought is that the anchor points would be through the deck (sorry, ramp) and this could flatten out and be stored inside the garage.

What do you want for a 5 minute passing thought? If you come up with something, I'll design it and get a prototype made up.

I have a ladder at the house so having a ladder attached to the rig was never a thought. If I were full timing, I'd have one by now.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Lindaxtwo's Avatar
 
Excel Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 153
I ended buying one of those telescoping ladders which fits nicely in one of the bays. A comment about a lack of ladder was on our comment sheet that went back to the factory (among several other topics like a pocket door on the bathroom instead of two colliding doors (garage and bathroom door) would be really nice...Don't get me started. We Love our outlaw but there are some easy changes that could be made that would make a whole lot more sense for liveability. Since we're fulltimers, the annoying things come up a lot more often than perhaps for others. Love the ideas here...keep 'em comin !
__________________
Follow our travels:https://lindaxtwo.blogspot.com/
2012 Damon Outlaw
2005 Yamaha Venture w/Voyager Trike kit
Lindaxtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:02 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
DGShaffer's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindaxtwo View Post
I ended buying one of those telescoping ladders which fits nicely in one of the bays. !
What are your thoughts when climbing up on that? Before buying one I'd be interested in what you think.

Also, is it tall enough to get you onto the top of the MH?
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #21
Community Administrator
 
Scarab0088's Avatar


 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 19,204
For the road, I keep one of those 4 section folding multi-purpose ladders in the garage. It's not the best and only just reaches to roof on the front end (forget about the back). It's heavy and clumbsy, but better than nothing. There's got to be something better.
__________________
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Lindaxtwo's Avatar
 
Excel Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
What are your thoughts when climbing up on that? Before buying one I'd be interested in what you think.

Also, is it tall enough to get you onto the top of the MH?

Love it ! It's 12'5" tall, with a 300# weight load and so easy to put up and take down. Got it for $109.95 on ebay with free shipping. I put it up against back door, between the rear camera and rear light. That way it doesn't press against gutter. I have had it at front of rig and then it extends past roof line for easier step off onto the roof but it pressed on gutter there. I took one of those floatation noodles and carved out inside to use as a bumper between ladder and rig. I also have one of the 7' ladders that compacts into a small square and stows in basement but with height of this rig, not good for too many tasks up high.
__________________
Follow our travels:https://lindaxtwo.blogspot.com/
2012 Damon Outlaw
2005 Yamaha Venture w/Voyager Trike kit
Lindaxtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
BpK9Miami's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hollywood Beach, FL & New Braunfels, TX
Posts: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindaxtwo View Post
Love it ! It's 12'5" tall, with a 300# weight load and so easy to put up and take down. Got it for $109.95 on ebay with free shipping. I put it up against back door, between the rear camera and rear light. That way it doesn't press against gutter. I have had it at front of rig and then it extends past roof line for easier step off onto the roof but it pressed on gutter there. I took one of those floatation noodles and carved out inside to use as a bumper between ladder and rig. I also have one of the 7' ladders that compacts into a small square and stows in basement but with height of this rig, not good for too many tasks up high.
I agree completely, and came up with the same solution with that telescoping ladder. I also added two hand rails to the roof (check the blog for pictures and details) to assist in getting on and off the roof. (But, I'm fragile and needed the help)

But I agree, this was the best solution other than some sort of permanent ladder somewhere.
__________________
Dan (Mack) (Former Outlaw owner, looking for a new ride!), w/2012 F150 FX4 and a 2012 Street Glide.
https://hulahutrvmods.blogspot.com
BpK9Miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #24
Community Administrator
 
Scarab0088's Avatar


 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 19,204
If you have e-track, did you realize that Harbor Freight has a system that works with your tracks? I think it might be cheaper than other places, but for me there's 3 HF's in my town = easy to get.

See: 5 Ft. Horizontal E-Track
E-Track Ring
and
16 Ft. x 2" E-Track Tie Down Strap

As a side note, I read on one of these forums that the Harbor Freight pieces work well with the OEM tracks, but not the other way around...can't verify that...and don't really know how that could be true(?)
__________________
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:43 PM   #25
Community Administrator
 
Scarab0088's Avatar


 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 19,204
Here's another Harbor Freight idea...If you want a camera in the garage:
Weatherproof Color Security Camera with Night Vision

This camera is awesome and cheap (color day + IR night vision + sound). I have 2 on my stick house. But what makes it really cool for the Outlaw is that it uses standard phone wires and jacks for the power, audio, and video. It's powered by 9VDC, so can be wired into the truck power supply with a small DC transformer (not included).

Mount it on the wall and plug it into the phone jack in the Garage.. Then, plug the power supply cord and output wire pig-tail into the phone jack under the dash (if you have all those phone jacks like I do in my '07) and you can attach the A/V output into the "B" input of the rear view screen - then viola' cool garage-cam.
__________________
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
BpK9Miami's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hollywood Beach, FL & New Braunfels, TX
Posts: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Mount it on the wall and plug it into the phone jack in the Garage.. Then, plug the power supply cord and output wire pig-tail into the phone jack under the dash (if you have all those phone jacks like I do in my '07) and you can attach the A/V output into the "B" input of the rear view screen - then viola' cool garage-cam.
Steve, where are your phone jacks located specifically? I have one in the electrical box outside but never found a corresponding one inside - it's always been a puzzle.
__________________
Dan (Mack) (Former Outlaw owner, looking for a new ride!), w/2012 F150 FX4 and a 2012 Street Glide.
https://hulahutrvmods.blogspot.com
BpK9Miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #27
Community Administrator
 
Scarab0088's Avatar


 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 19,204
The Phone Jacks Are Everywhere!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BpK9Miami View Post
Steve, where are your phone jacks located specifically? I have one in the electrical box outside but never found a corresponding one inside - it's always been a puzzle.
Mack,
In my '07 and I think the earlier models, the phone jacks are EVERYWHERE!!!

Interior, starting in the front ->
1. In the cabinette above the drivers seat (obviously to allow your satellite receiver to "phone home" for that Pay-Per-View event you just ordered),
2. Under the passenger side dash, next to the AC and DC plugs (couldn't even guess what that one is for),
3. Above the dinette, next to the AC plug (...Hello Marge, we've arrived and are having dinner...),
4. In the loft, next to the AC plug (for those middle of the night calls from the folks at home that are in a different time zone -arrggggg), and
5. Next to the AC plug in the garage (who wants to run to the salon to take a call).

On the Exterior ->
6. In the elec bin (probably the RV Park master feed(?),
7. In the forward most drivers side bin, and
8. In the passenger side bin aft of the entry door (for those campfire side conversations?).

...and I think I might have missed one or two. Like Dan replied in the Newb Questions thread; not so long ago, Damon designers must have thought the cellular phone was a fad!!
__________________
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
BpK9Miami's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hollywood Beach, FL & New Braunfels, TX
Posts: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Mack,
In my '07 and I think the earlier models, the phone jacks are EVERYWHERE!!!

Interior, starting in the front ->
1. In the cabinette above the drivers seat (obviously to allow your satellite receiver to "phone home" for that Pay-Per-View event you just ordered),
2. Under the passenger side dash, next to the AC and DC plugs (couldn't even guess what that one is for),
3. Above the dinette, next to the AC plug (...Hello Marge, we've arrived and are having dinner...),
4. In the loft, next to the AC plug (for those middle of the night calls from the folks at home that are in a different time zone -arrggggg), and
5. Next to the AC plug in the garage (who wants to run to the salon to take a call).

On the Exterior ->
6. In the elec bin (probably the RV Park master feed(?),
7. In the forward most drivers side bin, and
8. In the passenger side bin aft of the entry door (for those campfire side conversations?).

...and I think I might have missed one or two. Like Dan replied in the Newb Questions thread; not so long ago, Damon designers must have thought the cellular phone was a fad!!
Ah dude, you're killing me.

Nope, none of those locations except the electrical box and the overhead above the drivers seat. I wonder if they just stopped putting them in all the other locations at some point?

Ah well, it's not like I need them anyway, but it's damn curious.
__________________
Dan (Mack) (Former Outlaw owner, looking for a new ride!), w/2012 F150 FX4 and a 2012 Street Glide.
https://hulahutrvmods.blogspot.com
BpK9Miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone up for trading recipes? Sohapi RV Gourmet 1556 09-30-2020 09:24 PM
Estimate for Towing Setup Installation SarahW Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 89 04-15-2012 08:55 PM
I Wasn't Ready for this..... Madame Boomer Texas Boomers 22 03-07-2012 05:51 PM
Looking for used 5th Wheel... 30 ft. plus Bmaintz8 5th Wheel Discussion 19 02-28-2012 07:45 PM
ready for spring 2012 teera travel Boondocking 3 02-28-2012 07:02 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.