RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #1

nice idea for outlaw garage

I went to the local RV show in milwaukee today and saw a 5th wheel toyhauler with a fullsize table in the back that could also convert to a bed. My wife and I are trying to figure out how to make the garage into a suitable bedroom this spring.

We love this table setup - we like to entertain so this would be a great working idea for us.

Anyone have any ideas on where to purchase something like this? Would be awesome to have a fullsize dinning area.

Also does anyone know where a great place to buy a screen for the back would be? How would one attach?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	table.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	608.0 KB
ID:	18275  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2012, 04:53 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I paid $141.00 for a custom screen shipped to my home. It attaches to the rear with Velcro. It rolls up in two sections and stays up with 4 straps they give you.

If you're interested, you can call them an tell them that they made one for me on 08/10/09 that shipped to zip code 0880. They should have a record of the height and width

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2225.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	430.3 KB
ID:	18277  
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:13 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I put 2 single beds (actually a trundle bed) in the garage. But first I had to level the slope in the rear of the garage. After a bit of inexpensive lumber and a few drywall screws the garage floor was level.

I installed a piece of carpet cut wall-to-wall and secured the beds with straps from Harbor Freight for the e-track.

With the beds in the back, there was lots of room at the foot of the beds (between the beds and wall. But there really wasn't enough room to use a table like in the picture above.

It works well and being a trundle, will store with one bed under the other.
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:27 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Don has the right idea (and source) for the screen enclosure for the back. There's also another option, and I apologise for not having the website handy, that extends the screen room all the way out to the end of the deck and makes the extension room usable as a screen porch with the ramp in the "up" or level position.

The bottom line is that the space can be converted to a lot of use beyond that of a simple Toy Hauler.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropframe View Post
I went to the local RV show in milwaukee today and saw a 5th wheel toyhauler with a fullsize table in the back that could also convert to a bed. My wife and I are trying to figure out how to make the garage into a suitable bedroom this spring.

We love this table setup - we like to entertain so this would be a great working idea for us.

Anyone have any ideas on where to purchase something like this? Would be awesome to have a fullsize dinning area.

Also does anyone know where a great place to buy a screen for the back would be? How would one attach?
Looking over at the "I love my Outlaw string"...GTS said he installed this:
Newhouse RV Upholstery Sofa Bed Demonstration - YouTube
Wallmount Folding bed from Newhouse RV Upholstery
Wall Mount Furniture for RVs by Newhouse RV Upholstery
Sure looks like 2 of these with a removable table in between(?)
Old 04-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #6

thanks for the link - those newhouse seats look like what we saw. I just have to figure out if $1200+ is worth it. Might just move our regular bed back there for now.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:41 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OUCH!!! They are $1200?!! Is that for 2 or each?
You could PM GTS and find out if I'm right and what he paid(?)

But, it does look like a nice set-up that keeps most of the Garage free when stowed.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 04-15-2012, 06:46 AM   #8

They where a bit over 550 each. Plus for some reason I thought I read somewhere I couldn't mount them straight to the wall and would have to get someone to weld up some extra supports.

Not out of the question altogether. It's just on my list of future upgrades.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropframe View Post
...for some reason I thought I read somewhere I couldn't mount them straight to the wall and would have to get someone to weld up some extra supports.

Not out of the question altogether. It's just on my list of future upgrades.
On the Damon website, I believe they show construction with metal ribs in the wall. So, I don't think you have to add extra material to the wall for this kind of upgrade, but the trick is finding the "studs" for mounting anything to the walls.

I was wondering about that exact thing for adding e-track on the wall. If the ribs are aluminum, I wouldn't even be able to use a magnet to locate the ribs. And, I also don't think the OEM diamond plate is mounted in a way that would support that kind of stress(?)

--To our forum experts: Any experience about this would be most welcome--

Like you said, not out of the question
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 04-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was looking at possibly mounting something to the wall a while back and one cool morning I noticed that the on the outside of the garage the outline of the internal structure was clearly visible. The condensation marked the exact location of all the tubes. I don't know how cool your mornings get out there on the left coast but if you get up real early you might just be able to map out the location of all the tube supports. I'd also try a stud finder as it looks for changes in mass.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
I had wanted to mount some sections of e-track on the wall since there are lots of great attachments/hooks but when I called Thor and asked about it, they advised against it. Said it structurally wasn't meant to have anything mounted on the wall like what I wanted to do. Was the same response I got for wanting to mount a roof ladder that would come down the side of the rig. Doesn't appear that the frame of the rig is very heavy duty or it's purely a CYA response to questions like these. I was bummed with both responses.
Lindaxtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:38 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
I'll have to post 2 replies to this because I'm not in a place to post pictures at the moment. But let me make a couple comments.

Yes, you can, can, mount an e-track on the wall. Mines been in place since day 2 of ownership. Recommended or not, it works fine. I'll post pictures and measurements (I can't remember off hand if they're already on my blog of mod's below, but I know there is at least one photo of a cross section of the wall plug we drilled out during a radio install that will demonstrate what the wall actually looks like from exterior to interior)

As for the studs. Yes, they're two types (at least). Some aluminum, some harder metal (steel maybe?). I found them when mounting the e-track and it will be self explanatory.

As for the wall structure holding weight, ask Damon how they mount / attach the Murphy Bed in the older (discontinued) model 3612 and that should be your starting point for solving that issue. Heck, if they do it at the factory, it should work, right?

Several of us have kicked around the ladder idea....not solved yet (to my satisfaction at least), but there are some good suggestions. That be a subject for the "I Love My Damon Outlaw" thread.

I hope this helps.

I'll get the pictures up tomorrow some time!
Old 04-16-2012, 05:00 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindaxtwo View Post
Doesn't appear that the frame of the rig is very heavy duty or it's purely a CYA response to questions like these
Whenever you drill into a structural tube you make it weaker. Due to the fatigue of motion while driving your motor home down the road, a hole that managed to get placed into the welded seam right at a corner could have pretty serious consequences.

That said, drilling a hole in one of those tubes near the middle of it's span would have little effect on the structural integrity. Once you map out the pattern of the tubes, try to plan your mounts for areas that seem to be in the mid point of the tube and away from any cross joints or tube end joints.

I could be wrong but, I would assume that the side wall on Dan's model may have been constructed for the purpose of mounting the Murphy bed.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
OK, I never gave any thought to the long term structural impact of mounting an e-track. My bad. But I can't argue with the logic of it.

Now, having said that, and bowing to Don and his profession, let me address the track question. That is, if you want to take the risk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindaxtwo View Post
I had wanted to mount some sections of e-track on the wall since there are lots of great attachments/hooks but when I called Thor and asked about it, they advised against it. Said it structurally wasn't meant to have anything mounted on the wall like what I wanted to do. Was the same response I got for wanting to mount a roof ladder that would come down the side of the rig. Doesn't appear that the frame of the rig is very heavy duty or it's purely a CYA response to questions like these. I was bummed with both responses.

As I said earlier, this was one of the first mods I did to the Outlaw. The e-track was installed 10" above the diamond plate. We centered it, drove the attached screws through the wall - until we hit a "stud" - in which case we skipped that area until finished. Once we had all the other screws installed, we went back to the suspected stud areas and used a 1/8" metal drill for a pilot hole and used metal screws on those few spots (I think it was about 8-10 screws total).

The attached photos were taken during the install and test phase so not all the screws were in place when these were taken.

The e-track keeps many of the things attached securely and away from my bike during travel...which was all I ever expected.

Hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1459.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	20077   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1458.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	20078