RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2007, 02:39 PM   #1

I have a Damon '06 Challenger and suddenly I am not getting AC power from the Onan 5500 generator. Generator works fine but no juice is being converted. Shore power is fine and I've connected, disconnected and kicked in the generator in a number of ways to try to get the system to reset or something. Circuit breakers on the generator are okay, but I've reset them just in case. I've also reset the all of the circuit breakers in the bedroom master panel. Is there somewhere else I should be looking? I've talked with Damon and they suggested that the ATS was possibly not kicking over. Where is this switch and is there anything that I can try to get it to work? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Randy
2006 Damon Challenger

Randy ('06 Damon Challenger) is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2007, 02:39 PM   #2

I have a Damon '06 Challenger and suddenly I am not getting AC power from the Onan 5500 generator. Generator works fine but no juice is being converted. Shore power is fine and I've connected, disconnected and kicked in the generator in a number of ways to try to get the system to reset or something. Circuit breakers on the generator are okay, but I've reset them just in case. I've also reset the all of the circuit breakers in the bedroom master panel. Is there somewhere else I should be looking? I've talked with Damon and they suggested that the ATS was possibly not kicking over. Where is this switch and is there anything that I can try to get it to work? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Randy
2006 Damon Challenger

Old 11-18-2007, 02:54 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It has to be either the breakers mounted on the generator...not the one in the main panel or the transfer switch.

Not sure where your transfer switch is mounted, so you might find the info in the owners manuals. Once you locate the switch, try tapping it with a wooden mallet of other insulated device. Sometimes a gentle jar will make it transfer if it is just the switch. It could be the sensing device to energize the transfer switch.

Ken
Old 11-18-2007, 04:05 PM   #4

Randy, I think if you look in your electrical bay, you'll see it. Your power cord connects to it. It will probably be on the left side wall. It's just an electromagnetic switch so I would start the genny and tap the box. If that doesn't work, you'll need to check the voltage at the switch from the genset. If there is voltage there then most likely, the switch is bad. My guess is it's just stuck. If the genset wasn't putting out, it would shut down or at the least throw a code.

Let us know how it works, ok?

Chandler

Wife, Dee
Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:09 PM   #5

Thanks, it's definitely not the breakers on the generator; I've reset them even though they never did trip. What does the switch look like? It's not part of the power convertor is it? Is the switch usually mounted in a bay, or could it be inside the rig somewhere?

Randy
Old 11-18-2007, 04:33 PM   #6

Chandler, I just went out and rechecked the bay. The power bay has the black power cord entering the bay from the top left side. On the top right side is mounted the InteliPort 9100 converter. I double checked the bay with the generater and didn't see anything there either. If the ATS is not part of the power converter then I'm just not seeing it????

Randy
Old 11-18-2007, 10:43 PM   #7

I have a 2007 Daybreak and mine is located under the bed. There is a false panel held on by 4 screws and if you remove it the transfer switch is located there. If your converter sticks out at the front of the bed this is where it will be.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:13 AM   #8

Thanks Snowfitter. I finally found the ATS. It was located under the corner of the bedroom cabinetry to the left of the breaker box. I was able to remove a drawer to access the area and turned on the generator and rapped the box a number of times with a wooden mallet. No change though, still no electric coming from the generator. I'm going to check the electrical connections coming off of the generator next, but it's raining right now, so I will wait a little while to do that.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:16 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
With you power off open off the cover to ATS and check all the screw connections for power cables and 20gage wires to load center. You may find some loose connections. Be careful of the ckt board to operate the transfer switchs do not short.
If you have a surge protector it will take up to 2 min's for it to activate.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:11 AM   #10

First you need to determine if the gen is producing juice. Pull the cover off it and check for fault codes. If you don't know how to do this look in the manual which is available on line. If it is running and there are no fault codes than you probably have a bad ATS.

Sam
Old 11-21-2007, 02:13 PM   #11

Sam? Did you see that I sent you a PM?

Sorry to take up general forum space..

Chandler

Wife, Dee
Old 11-23-2007, 04:13 AM   #12

Thanks, I did that and actually put a voltmeter on the terminals to determine that power was being generated. I finally found the ATS box in my unit, which was located next to the breaker box in the back corner of the motorhome. The placement of the switch certainly leaves something to be desired as you have to remove drawers to get to it at all and once that is done, you have extreme limitations to what you can see. Not being familiar with the ATS and not really able to easily dismantle and view, I took the MH to my local Camping World on RT 295 in Jersey. They were able to take me within 24 hours which was better than any dealer around which said sometime in December or January. Once there, the mechanic went immediately to the ATS based on my description of the problem and all of the preliminary investigation I already did. Basically, he said he flipped a switch inside the box to bypass the delay switch. That immediately solved the problem. We discussed the options of working the generator without the delay switch to which he felt that as long as you don't start the gen with everything turned on (especially A/C units) then the lack of the delay function wouldn't be a big deal. (anyone have any thoughts on this?). Short term, we pretty much had to go this route as they didn't have the parts necessary to replace the delay switch anyway. He additionally said that the fix would run a couple of hours of labor plus parts so is it really worth several hundred dollars to fix? Unless the potential of causing more serious problems downstream exist, I'm leaning on leaving it alone. Thanks for all of the comments and notes. It was a real help in trying to debug this issue myself and at least I've learned a bunch of new stuff about my rig while pursuing this issue. Oh yeah, and by the way, the mechanic actually tore up the ticket and provided all of his assistance at no charge. Even though he didn't do much(his words), he definitely devoted over a half of an hour to me the problem and at $105 per hour rate, I was pretty shocked that he didn't charge at all. I've had several good experiences at this facility already and would definitely recommend them to anyone in need of general repairs.

Randy
2006 Damon Challenger
Old 11-23-2007, 05:13 PM   #13

Wow! Two things...first it is refreshing to hear of a store that is that customer orientated. They will do very well. Second, you're on your way to knowing your coach and by doing that, you'll be able to at least troubleshoot most of your problems.
I think you'll be fine as long as you have all the major loads off when you start the genny. I would think about getting the switch fixed eventually just because it allows the genset to build oil pressure and stabilize itself before recieving the load. Did you get a look at it? Is it that hard to install yourself? I'll look inside mine on my next day off.

Congrats on the fix!

Chandler

Wife, Dee