RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
doc

Appalachian Campers
Norcold recall/repair

Got a letter from Damon last week saying my refrigerator might be in the recall. Checked the numbers and sure enough it is. Contacted Norcold for the nearest dealer and they gave me a dealer in Athens. When I called to get it set up he wanted to know the info on the refrig and the MH. He has all the information and I have not heard from him since. You would figure that Norcold has all the parts and just has to ship them out when notified. Then again
For those of you have have completed the recall repair, how long did it take for the parts to arrive? The repair guy says is will only take 30 minutes or so to do the repair.
With the weather getting better here in the South, I want to dewinterize and make a few short 'everything is working' trips before summer.

doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Doc
i received my first letter from norcold in last nov, i received one from Damon no to long ago

it took from mid nov to mid jan to get the parts

took about 1/2 hr for them to do the deed.
its a piece of cake,
make sure you get the instruction sheet that comes with the parts, in case you need to trouble shoot it later.
my fridge was one of three styles in the instructions and of course the first go around it was done wrong and the fridge wouldn't light. they re-read the pictures and then installed it right and bam it worked

Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2016 Expedition or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
I went by the dealer's shop this morning. He said there were about 4 people in line for the same repair. He expects to have the parts in Monday (does that sound familiar?)
We talked about what is going to be done and he said that if we only run it on electric there would be no problem. Seems Norcold made some of the stacks out of a thinner metal and there was ONE unit that had a fire. Trying to cover themselves, which is a great idea, they recalled the units made with this thinner metal. They will reinforce the stack and add a sensor that will turn the gas off it it overheats.
I have no idea if he is blowing smoke or if this is the real skinny. Mama is wanting to get out for a while and so do I.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
Commercial Member

I hate to say it, he is blowing alot of smoke. Rather it's AC or LP gas makes no difference because both will have the same heat values. Boiler area will get up to the 400 plus degrees on either LP gas or AC mode. He is correct about the thin wall tubing used the main issue cause of failure/fires. The recall is only to monitor the heat at the boiler, either lp or AC, to allow the newest thermal couple shut off device to disconnect 12 VDC from the controls. Shuting down your refrigerator. This shut down from high heat may shut down before a fire or after a fire. The problem with the newest recall it still is not a fix of the true problem. The recall will work correctly if your cooling unit fails cause of a very small crack with a seepage leak of ammonia and Hydrogen gas, but if the leak is from a fast rupture a fire will be already started before the boiler heat raises high enough for the thermal couple high heat responce. The rapture will allow the 350 lbs plus hydrogen pressure to shoot through the foil insulation wrap with a very high intense heat, like a torch. Fire starts, thermal couple shuts down: Question hows the recall going to put the fire out. Having the refrigerator off does not put the fire out.
dforce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:10 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It took 3 weeks for Norcold to get the part to the dealer who did my recall. I was told by the repair facility that they can't get the parts from Norcold to stock, so every recalled Fridge is handled individually. After they verify that your Fridge is covered by the recall, they can then order the part from Norcold.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas1 View Post
It took 3 weeks for Norcold to get the part to the dealer who did my recall. I was told by the repair facility that they can't get the parts from Norcold to stock, so every recalled Fridge is handled individually. After they verify that your Fridge is covered by the recall, they can then order the part from Norcold.
You guys are not very encouraging. I have to get ours done in the next couple of weeks. Have had the notification since November, but have procrastinated till we are now getting close to another trip.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Time to receive parts

It is my understanding that Norcold only ships parts to the dealer when he orders the parts useing the serial number of a recalled unit. I called the dealer in November and he received the parts in Feb. Took 30 min. to install. My $50 shell card arrived in about 2 weeks after I sent in a copy of the repair order
Charlie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
I just called my local independent RV shop and he said to bring it on in as he had the parts sitting on a shelf. Mine is a Dometic RM2652... maybe they use a different kit.
dapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:50 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie111 View Post
It is my understanding that Norcold only ships parts to the dealer when he orders the parts useing the serial number of a recalled unit. I called the dealer in November and he received the parts in Feb. Took 30 min. to install. My $50 shell card arrived in about 2 weeks after I sent in a copy of the repair order
This is what my repair shop told me as well -- but they had the parts in just a few days. I took it in for the norcold reccall and battery replacements and they finished it in one day.

Was well pleased with the effort.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #10
doc

Appalachian Campers
Shell card????
Old 04-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc