Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2007, 05:03 AM   #1

Hello all! Thanks for all the useful info! I have an '84 Winnebago Chieftain 33' that we used for road trips. As they say "getting there is half the fun!" or maybe "life's a journey, not a destination..." Here's my dilemma:

I have 4 kids and a wife who like to watch TV and/or play video games while on the road. All the models I've looked at with front mounted TV's won't let you watch while in motion. As I shopped for a new coach, I found the Damon Challenger 377 - if you don't know it, check out the floorplan here:
http://www.damonrv.com/motorhomes/ch...floorplans/377

I love the design and what I've learned about Damon so far is great! I'm wondering if anyone who has one can tell me if the TV's work while under way?

Then, while browsing this site, I saw the Damon Tuscany 4055- WOW! But it looks like the slides when closed would block the TVs from viewing while on the road. Can anyone say if this is the case?

My goal is to pack up the family and tour the country and see all the wonders we can in a few weeks. Thats why usability while on the road is a big concern for me!

Thanks for any advice...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2007, 05:03 AM   #2

Hello all! Thanks for all the useful info! I have an '84 Winnebago Chieftain 33' that we used for road trips. As they say "getting there is half the fun!" or maybe "life's a journey, not a destination..." Here's my dilemma:

I have 4 kids and a wife who like to watch TV and/or play video games while on the road. All the models I've looked at with front mounted TV's won't let you watch while in motion. As I shopped for a new coach, I found the Damon Challenger 377 - if you don't know it, check out the floorplan here:
http://www.damonrv.com/motorhomes/ch...floorplans/377

I love the design and what I've learned about Damon so far is great! I'm wondering if anyone who has one can tell me if the TV's work while under way?

Then, while browsing this site, I saw the Damon Tuscany 4055- WOW! But it looks like the slides when closed would block the TVs from viewing while on the road. Can anyone say if this is the case?

My goal is to pack up the family and tour the country and see all the wonders we can in a few weeks. Thats why usability while on the road is a big concern for me!

Thanks for any advice...
Old 06-30-2007, 05:14 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Tcayer

Anytime a TV is viewable by the driver it is supposed to have an ignition disconnect on it.

Many of these disconnects fail or just plain do not work and many of us have our TV's on while traveling.

We enjoy the XM music off the satellite via our TV while traveling.

Dave O
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:41 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just so you know disconnecting or disabling the interlock is both very very easy, and illegal.

However there is an alternative Both for XM music (Which I am considering) and for TV.

The XM-alternative is to feed it to the dash radio's aux-inputs. I did add the optional aux-input to the radio.

The TV alternative is a small portable TV for the kids, mounted somewhere behind the front seats (Example on the galley counter in my rig, or in the swivel chair) it provides tv only for the BACK seat folks.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:47 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have model 329 challenger. I purchased it in misouri. It did not have the tv lock out. I have the overhead 20". Use it all the time when in motion. It doesn't impede in my driving at all.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:59 AM   #6

Thanks for your comments- this is one of the main reason I'm looking at the Challenger 377- The TV is not in view of the driver, It's set in the rear of the living area. I've driven with the TV on, believe me- it's not as distracting as 4 bored kids!
Old 07-01-2007, 10:25 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I should add. I agree that the TV is easier to ignore than the kids. (You have seating for FOUR kids?)

However just remember this.. There is supposed to be a window beside you as you drive (Driver's side window) if you can see out a police officer, who is a underpaid civil servant, can see in and watch your TV, if he notices it on he might just think "You know, these motor homes retail for over 100,000 each, This guy is loaded, It is illegal for a television to be where the driver can see it, I'm gonna give him a notice of how much I would love to have his money" also known as a ticket.

Now: I know police are supposed to be above that kind of thinking, but alas.... They are human.

And I have been asked for the chapter and verse (Section of law) that applies to televisions in the view of the driver more than once in my life as a police dispatcher.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:10 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
We have the Tuscany 4055 with the rear mounted TV and it works with no problems going down the road. The kids watch it all the time.

We've got 'bored' teenagers so it is a small miracle for us that this works...
The Woodieboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:46 AM   #9

TCayer, I am at work and the internet police will not let me view the 377 you linked.

I have the 371 design (that I do not think they make anymore) and the TV is in a cabinet behind the passenger front seat which is a negative as DW can not recline her chair very far. I can not view the TV going down the road and when my grandson was with us on a trip, it worked great with him playing games and being content.

Go to the lot, turn on TV, crank engine and then you will know for sure. I also like the TV being at a lower viewing area when parked. I do not like looking up as if I was at a sports bar.

My 2 cents.

PS: I added inverter to this TV and do not have to run the generator. Saves on gas plus nice when dry camping.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:18 AM   #10

Thanks to all for your advice- The Damon Challenger 377 and Tuscany 4055 (and 4076) all have TVs mounted in the rear of the living area, away from the driver. That's my main interest.

Note to John D: I AM an underpaid civil servant. A 19 yr police officer, about to plunk down up to 170,000 on a new RV. I'm not worried about violating that particular law, but would rather avoid that with one of the above solutions- leading first by example and all...
Old 07-02-2007, 04:30 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well... I too spent 25 years telling police officers where to go for a living.. What can I say, they still pay me, still not enough, but I don't have to tell them where to go any more

I will second the suggestion to get the optional inverter.. Factory install is neatest. I prefer True-sine inverters over MSW's. not as efficent but your down-line electronics will thank you by lasting longer and/or working better.

I wonder what would happen if you were to put up a detachable shield, basically a large "L" shaped thing that was positioned so that when it is in place the driver can not see an overhead TV (Shotgun rider could, kids could but driver could not) Since this would be over the driver's head it would not interfere with his side view (Passenger side) nor his forward view. Should be legal but you would know more about that than I.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:38 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
If you get a Tuscany they already have a whole house inverter installed. We use it when going down the road to power most things except the refrigerator and hte A/C units. Our kids plug in their cell phones, iPod and Zune Player, an XBOX 360 and run the TV or two.

SInce we live in hot weather we have to run the generator about 20 minutes out of every hour to keep the coach cool for others. If it just us then the dash A/C works just fine.
The Woodieboys is offline   Reply With Quote