RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2010, 08:46 AM   #15

Please post more pictures, I have a 2007 Outlaw and been looking at doing the door/deck mod is well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
Yes, I made them in my shop so any metal fabricating shop should be capable of making them. I'll be running off another set for Mike in the next couple of days so making 4 more isn't an issue if you want them, just PM me your address and I'll UPS them to you.

I was looking at your model and they did a nice job with that bed back there. I plan on carrying two bikes quite often so it wasn't what I needed. Having the screen back there makes it really nice sleeping in the garage at night. I go to a camp site where I back up to a stream, with the porch setup I could fish off the back
ccollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2010, 09:16 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here are a few shots of the brackets, cable fabrication, and positioning. I use the same bracket on the jamb as I do on the door

DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:54 PM   #17

Is your website up? just tried to get there and I cannot connect.

Quote:
Here are a few shots of the brackets, cable fabrication, and positioning. I use the same bracket on the jamb as I do on the door

Old 08-01-2010, 06:34 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
lousy timing ehhh ? Yes my web site is down temporarily. If you PM me an email address i can send you thee photos I took for another forum member. I also have a couple spare sets of brackets I can send you if you'd like
Old 08-02-2010, 07:08 AM   #19

My email address is cjccollin@hotmail.com, I really appreciate any and all information you can send me on the door/deck modification on the Outlaw. I very interested in getting a set of your brackets and where/how you mounted them.

Thank you,

-Chris

Quote:
lousy timing ehhh ? Yes my web site is down temporarily. If you PM me an email address i can send you thee photos I took for another forum member. I also have a couple spare sets of brackets I can send you if you'd like
Old 08-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I shot out a bunch of photos, let me know if you don't get them and I pack them into a zip file
Old 08-02-2010, 07:46 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rarely do you see other Outlaw owners but last weekend we went to a favorite campsite 1 1/2 hours north of us in Branchville, NJ and not 5 miles from the place I see one just like mine parked in a driveway!
Old 08-04-2010, 09:14 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Rarely do you see other Outlaw owners but last weekend we went to a favorite campsite 1 1/2 hours north of us in Branchville, NJ and not 5 miles from the place I see one just like mine parked in a driveway!
I just recently had a similar experience. I was in Fayetteville, NC and came back one day to find another Outlaw parked next to mine. The folks were making thier first road trip out of NJ and just happened to stop there. They were sitting outside waiting for me to show up! We talked shop for hours....you're right, there are not a whole lot of us out here apparently.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:24 AM   #23

Hey Folks,

I saw a bit of activity on this thread and thought I'd post a quick status on the first 6 months of ownership.

First, Don Shaffer is The Man! :-) Don has been incredibly helpful - thanks Don!

Since the purchase of 2010 Outlaw in March, we've taken several trips (longest was about 500 mi round trip) - including several dry camping trips (dirt bike riding) and hooked up scenarios. We've had a handful of warranty related issues, but no "big problems" that really affected our use of the unit.

My perspective is that Thor (owner of Damon) has been very good to us and has backed up their product quite well. One could argue that we shouldn't have had as many little issues, and one could say... well, why wasn't that made better, etc. They are not perfect, and you may have place a couple of extra phone calls to follow up on something, but that's life. In the end, Thor helped us resolve everything so far at their cost (parts and labor). There were 1-2 issues that easily could have been argued, but Thor took care of it. So far, so good.

I will complain that my nearest Thor dealer is 130 mi from the SF Bay area so getting the rig there can be a pain. But, that's the state of the industry - lots of people have NO dealer anymore these days.

The Outlaw has performed well. The Ford V10 has enough power to keep her chugging up some good inclines (~50-55 mph) with a full load of cargo. She ain't a diesel, but I didn't pay for one :-) Damon is amongst the first to put a side door into the garage area and this is a huge feature that we use all the time (very cool). The Outlaw is TALL. Yikes. It will scrape trees that many other rigs won't - arguably one of it's disadvantages. It's also quite wide. With side mirrors that do not collapse in. So, you need a good 11-12 feet in width just to store it.

While I've see rigs with 2, 3, + slide outs and clearly you get some good space advantages, so far we've liked the large single slide out design on the 3611. It doesn't encoach on your side "patio" area and it's quick to set up (only 1 side to deal with).

The loft for the master sleeping area is "pretty good". It's plenty wide and long, but as a 6 footer, I cannot sit up in the loft and one needs to scramble to get in/out of the loft bed. Doing so at night is not ideal. But, we knew this going in and our choice was between the Outlaw loft or very likely a C class motorized toy hauler (MTH) with the master sleeping area over the cab - much less privacy and you'd have to climb up/down a ladder (vs. the "stairs" in the Outlaw). Other A class MTH's suggest you sleep in the garage. We can do this since ours has the garage Queen bed, but we prefer the mattress and the warmth of the loft. So, for now we're good with it as the compromise we chose for the ability to carry our bikes and other cargo in the garage.

That's enough for one post. Happy camping!

Mike
tr21r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:23 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I appreciate the kind words. I'm just excited every time I hear that someone else bought one of these (it's a small club).
When you buy one of these you have to go into it knowing that it's a mid level entry into Class A rv'ing. Everything is built to control costs therefore a little more delicate. I had warranty isues as well that my local Camping world was able to straighten out for me and Damon was more than receptive to my claims.
No I have learned to turn switched, open cabinets, close doors etc with a little gentle care. If I continue to treat my Damon with care I'm confident it will last me a very long time.

Do yourself a favor and throw a 3" temperpedic mattress topper over your master bed. That's all we did and I have a hard time waking up whereas in my Class C toy hauler with the bed over the cab I was only good for a few hours at a time. I did make good time going cross country though. In time you'll learn to roll onto your stomach and do the reverse worn to get out. The way I look at it is that you're only there to sleep so you might as well have made the room for the bikes rather than a full size bedroom that's wasted all day long. Especially once you've added the cables and turned your ramp into a deck. You're gonna love that!

I'm glad to read that you're enjoying it as much as I do!

Old 10-11-2010, 10:53 AM   #25

How do you like your Outlaw

Hi new to RV and are in the market to buy a Outlaw. We have all the same questions but would like to get info from an owner not the dealer.
cardshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:14 AM   #26

Don I would like to pick your brain on the Outlaw. We are getting ready to buy one and need your ideas.

My husband and I are going to live in it most of time with our baby(1800GW Trike) but would like to tow my Suzi. Do you think we can be comfortable in the 36 or do we need the 38? We are on a limited budget and are looking for a used one.

Also the ones we have found at dealerships all tell us that we should buy the extended warranty one was $7500. is that what we need? Seems like a lot.

If we buy from a owner what should we look for if you know. We know you are not a professional but have read a lot on different sites and you do know a lot more than we do. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cardshark
cardshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:08 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. Mine is an 08 Scorpion edition
Old 10-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardshark View Post
Don I would like to pick your brain on the Outlaw. We are getting ready to buy one and need your ideas.

My husband and I are going to live in it most of time with our baby(1800GW Trike) but would like to tow my Suzi. Do you think we can be comfortable in the 36 or do we need the 38? We are on a limited budget and are looking for a used one.

Also the ones we have found at dealerships all tell us that we should buy the extended warranty one was $7500. is that what we need? Seems like a lot.

If we buy from a owner what should we look for if you know. We know you are not a professional but have read a lot on different sites and you do know a lot more than we do. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cardshark

Hi,

I have the 2010 3611 model (37ft), with the Ford V10. Keep in mind that you don't get much (any?) added living space in the 3808 as the extra length is designed primarily to extend the garage from the 10 ft in the 3611 to about 12 ft in the 3808. On the 3808 you have two slides (one on each side). On the 3611 you get one large slide. Bear in mind that the second slide on the 3808 is on the "patio" side of the rig so it will stick out on your living side. FWIW, the 3808's are much less common to find. My experience was that 80%+ of the new and used units were 3611's.

I haven't pulled anything with mine. But, I have loaded pretty heavily with four dirt bikes, LOTS of gear, all the cargo bays loaded, 5 people, etc. Yep, I could feel the load on steep mountain grades, but it trucked along. In my mind, I would be OK pulling a small rig like a Suzi, but I'd keep an eye on how much other cargo I was running.

It doesn't sound like you want a new unit, but for a full timer, the 2010/2011 offers a couple nice features. It has a side door into the garage (we use this all the time), washer/dryer plumbing in the garage (you still need to cut a hole for the dryer vent), and a couple other items I forget. I started out considering a used unit, but was lured into a new one by some pretty great deals - I imagine they are still out there.

To get your best deal, go ahead and search nationally. I spent a couple of weeks and found about 15 used ones and 20 new ones and then negotiated by phone with many of the sellers. If you can save $4000+ on a unit across the country, it's worth it as you can fly out for the final inspection and drive it back for well under that. Use on line photos, etc. to check out the unit as much as possible. While dealers will generally command a bit of a premium, if the dealer is reputable/long term, I believe you'll get a bit of support during and after the sale. The dealers have the ability to immediately fix issues and even in a worst case scenario, you can negotiate with them to pay to fix things. With a private seller, you'll then need to bring it to a dealer. Depends on how you feel about stuff like that.

Hmmm, $7500 sounds high for an extended warranty. Hard to say if it's worth it. Kind of depends on how "handy" you think you are. Some people can fix many items on an RV, but others?

Do a google search on "buying a used RV". You will get some great check lists. I can't think of any particular item to focus on but rather the need to walk through and physically check the operation of every single system and switch in the rig. Looking for any kind of water damage is big (mold, water stains, etc. signs of leaks, etc). Not that Outlaws have an issue there, just a key for any RV. Naturally, someone who keeps good maint. records is likely to have a well running unit.
tr21r is offline   Reply With Quote