Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ummmm.... What ^ he said!
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #30

I'm (almost) ready to buy the 2011 Thor Outlaw 3611 and came across this thread. THANKS to everyone for their input. As someone has already said, it's good to hear from actual owners as opposed to sales people.

I'll likely make this purchase in Canada and was wondering about any service related work while I travel ? I'm full-timing and could be anywhere in the Country - both Canada and the United States.
heritage2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:06 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by heritage2006 View Post
I'm (almost) ready to buy the 2011 Thor Outlaw 3611 and came across this thread. THANKS to everyone for their input. As someone has already said, it's good to hear from actual owners as opposed to sales people.

I'll likely make this purchase in Canada and was wondering about any service related work while I travel ? I'm full-timing and could be anywhere in the Country - both Canada and the United States.

I don't understand your question? If you have issues, Thor is going to want you to bring it to any authorized dealer for service. They have many in N. America. To be cautious, you'd better be ready for 1-2 weeks time frames if you need parts shipped.
tr21r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:58 PM   #32

Thanks for your reply Mike. I guess what I was trying to say is if I buy the Outlaw in Canada, would an authorized Damon/Thor Dealer in the United States honor any warranty problems I might have ?

Also, There is not an abundance of these Dealers, so what about if I'm nowhere near where they are located ? Unlike many buyers I suppose, they buy from their local dealer and are usually close to them for repair work. I will not be.

The other concern I have is from reading my posts about so many problems with the Outlaw. Is this a manufacturer I should stay away from and accept the fact that I will have to continue to tow my motorcycle ?

Denise
Old 04-27-2011, 05:34 AM   #33

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't want to upset the apple cart but I guess I've been fortunate with my outlaw. The windshield had a leak and the convection oven just stopped working. Both issues were handled by my local Camping World service center which is an authorized Thor facility.
For me, being able to utilize the garage and ramp as a deck during the day is much better that sacrificing 12 feet of a 37 foot class A to a bedroom. With our setup you get nearly 47 feet of true living space.
I'm a metal manufacturer and I can't imagine the issues that had to be overcome to create a structure that can be driven over the road without a single issue. This amazes me.
Keep in mind that the Outlaw design is relatively unique with the loft bed which really is the best design for a toy hauler. It's also very reasonably priced.
Treat everything in it with gentle care and proper maintenance and it should last you a long time.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:41 AM   #34

If you are out on the road and do happen to need service check out this web site:

rvservicereviews.com
Old 04-27-2011, 06:59 AM   #35

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good one!
Old 04-27-2011, 07:28 AM   #36

Damon Owners Club
I have to echo Don's comments and also support the idea about the overall capabilites of the Outlaw. I'm a full-timer so I needed the ability to utilize all the space to the best of it's ability as a prime living space, and still be able to pack away the toys and move down the road as the Army tends to move me around a lot. I looked at many options, many far more expensive then the Outlaw, and always came back to one basic issue which was the deciding factor for me. I wanted a place to live where I didn't have to unload the bike anytime I stopped for a night or two, and I didn't want a drop-from-the-ceiling bed where I had to climb over a fender to sleep in. . .the loft is a perfect answer for me.

Having said that, there have been minor issues with my Outlaw, just like many others. So far (knock wood), the issues have been easy to fix (or have fixed), and modifications have made it more livable on a daily basis. I suspect that each owner goes through this phase of "tweeking" things to thier own satisfaction and needs and we could have a whole discussion on the pros and cons of each one.

The bottom line for me is that all the MH's I looked at had stories, rumors, and complaints..including the Outlaw. But, as with anything, you have to be prepared to accept less-then-perfect and be willing to overcome the minor stuff no matter how much money you paid. Such is life - it's what makes the adventure so much fun.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:34 PM   #37

Quote:
Thanks for your reply Mike. I guess what I was trying to say is if I buy the Outlaw in Canada, would an authorized Damon/Thor Dealer in the United States honor any warranty problems I might have ?

Also, There is not an abundance of these Dealers, so what about if I'm nowhere near where they are located ? Unlike many buyers I suppose, they buy from their local dealer and are usually close to them for repair work. I will not be.

The other concern I have is from reading my posts about so many problems with the Outlaw. Is this a manufacturer I should stay away from and accept the fact that I will have to continue to tow my motorcycle ?

Denise

Hi Denise,

I would call Thor directly to ask them about cross border service.
(interesting story, my unit had been mistakenly built with a Canadian instrument cluster. so, when it got to the dealer it became stranded between the dealer and Thor. I had contacted the west coast Thor rep to ask some technical questions about the Outlaw and he asked if I'd be willing to be patient about them working out the instrument cluster issue and get a "great" deal on the unit. It all worked out and I ended up with a 26,000 lb chassis (most have 24K) and a few extras - anyway, that's my Canadian Outlaw story)).

Don't get me wrong, I get frustrated with the hassle and time involved in dealing with warranty issues. That said, Thor has backed everything for me. And I've heard/read so many other stories of troubles with other makes that I'm convinced every RV has issues.

I think it's fair to say the Outlaw is a mid priced RV. I think you'll have break in issues with any RV, and maybe more with mass produced mid priced models.

Bear this in mind when thinking about Thor and how many dealers are out there. They are among a minority of RV mfgs who stayed healthy and in business during the downturn. Take a close look at how many went bankrupt, in chap 11, and/or have been sold as assets to another firm.

I and others are perhaps a bit defensive because we've made the big plunge. So be it. Over the year I've had my unit, I've continue to look at other set ups and ask myself if I'd prefer them (A Class with an enclosed trailer? C Class Fun Mover? 5th wheel TH? So far, I continue to like the unique capabilities that hooked me on the Outlaw.

Good luck on your decision. It's a big one you must live with through the good times and the frustrating ones, so go with your own intuition!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-27-2011, 10:36 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSP1268 View Post
If you are out on the road and do happen to need service check out this web site:

rvservicereviews.com

FWIW, I've used three of these shops. Village RV in Roseville, Leales in San Jose, and La Mesa. The reviews on there so far are in line with my experiences....
Old 04-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #39

Grrrrr, You guys are making this decision even more difficult for me !!

One minute I think I'm not going near this Manufacturer and the other minute I decide to hell with it, I'm getting this coach.

As you all have said, the Outlaw is perfect for what I need - and I am not aware of any other coach out there like it. I looked at the Jayco Seneca Super C with the toy hauler but they are not being made anymore. And I haven't seen any recent (non newer than a 2006) for the Fun Mover.

And to add even more difficulty to this process, I have only found ONE in Canada - and it is almost $30,000 more !!

So now if I do go ahead with this purchase it will be from a dealer in Texas so I have to check out the Canada Customs end of it etc.

I really do appreciate all of your input.

And the way that one Owner made the rear garage door into a 'living space' is AWESOME !!
Old 04-29-2011, 10:04 AM   #40

Quote:
Grrrrr, You guys are making this decision even more difficult for me !!

As you all have said, the Outlaw is perfect for what I need - and I am not aware of any other coach out there like it. I looked at the Jayco Seneca Super C with the toy hauler but they are not being made anymore. And I haven't seen any recent (non newer than a 2006) for the Fun Mover.

And to add even more difficulty to this process, I have only found ONE in Canada - and it is almost $30,000 more !!

So now if I do go ahead with this purchase it will be from a dealer in Texas so I have to check out the Canada Customs end of it etc.

And the way that one Owner made the rear garage door into a 'living space' is AWESOME !!

Denise,

If you used RV Trader and some effort with searching all over N. America, you should be able to locate 10-30 units in stock in USA. I did this and starting netotiations over the phone. Most dealers will negotiate by phone when you explain you're willing to travel to buy the unit. I eventually had 3-4 very good offers - ranging from Rhode Island, Ohio, AZ and CA.

I don't know what, if any, changes were made in 2011 over 2010 except for graphics, but maybe you can call Thor to determine that. From my review of the spec sheet, it looks identical other than color - so maybe a 2010 is OK?

The Fun Mover was made by Four Winds. Four Winds is now owned by Thor (like I said, Thor is a survivor). They seemed to have stopped production of the Fun Mover as you pointed out (don't know if that was before or after acquisition by Thor). FWIW, lots of folks complained about Fun Mover issues...

Don Schaeffer (back door to patio man) is amazing and super helpful!

Btw, another option is the Newmar Canyon Star. Similar price range and features but different floor plan... Have no idea re: quality.

Mike
Old 04-30-2011, 07:13 AM   #41

HELLO,
I've been reading the post and although we are the newest owners of the outlaw, cant say how great it is. Dont know your needs but since you live in CA if you buy it in US dont you get hit with lots of taxes? And have you concidered a used unit,lol, if you can find one. We bought a used one but it tok us six months to find one, everytime we founf=d one and got ready it was sold when we called. They are getting very popular and when they do come for sale they go quick. But I will tell you that
don, dan. and david are the men to see when it comes to extras on the rv we went to tx to see the changes. Don's deck is great and cant wait to get ours done. Good luck with you purchase and hope to see you on the road. Outlaws must band together!

Shanett Rhow srhow53@gmail.com
cardshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:44 PM   #42

I wasn't aware of the Newmar Canyon Star until Mike mentioned it in his post. Since then I have spent the last several days looking at them online and there is a 'new' 2010 for sale within a few miles of where I am right now. So I'm going to have a look at it tomorrow.

When I bought my Winnebago I did a lot of research re quality of the different manufacturers and even joined the RV Consumer Group. With this I got a lot of reading material plus a 'ratings' CD. This CD provides an overall 'star' rating as well as a numeric rating in various categories.

I looked up the Thor, which only got a 2 1/2 star overall rating (that is out of a maximum possibility of 5 stars).

The Newmar on the otherhand, and specifically the 3920 Toy Hauler rating got a 4 star rating - which is very, very good. My Winnebago has a 3 Star rating which is more the norm. So that tells me the Newmar product is a far better one.

Having said all of that - I still LOVE the 'looks' (interior colour scheme) of the Outlaw more and although this is very minor (but I want it), the Outlaw has that lounge chair which I really like. The Newmar also has LOTS of this model out there just by doing a few quick searches. It is also 2+ feet longer - which I don't need nor want.