Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2008, 04:58 AM   #1

Need some advise on what to do... Yesterday as we we're loading up the RV to drive home after a weekend of camping my wife noticed that the windshield was separated from the coach on the driver's side at the lower left part of the windshield. The rubber gasket was still attached to the glass but it and the glass were about 1/2" away from the coach -- you could stick your finger through the gap. The Outlaw is an '07 model purchased in Dec '06. I don't know whether to call Damon, the dealer, or my insurance company. Your thoughts/guidance would be greatly appreciated. Btw, no abuse to the coach and it still looks like new. Thanks. -Walt
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2008, 04:58 AM   #2

Need some advise on what to do... Yesterday as we we're loading up the RV to drive home after a weekend of camping my wife noticed that the windshield was separated from the coach on the driver's side at the lower left part of the windshield. The rubber gasket was still attached to the glass but it and the glass were about 1/2" away from the coach -- you could stick your finger through the gap. The Outlaw is an '07 model purchased in Dec '06. I don't know whether to call Damon, the dealer, or my insurance company. Your thoughts/guidance would be greatly appreciated. Btw, no abuse to the coach and it still looks like new. Thanks. -Walt
Old 05-27-2008, 05:27 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That is Normal for Damon, I had the same thing on the upper front passengers window. I contacted Damon, which was a joke! There has been alot of these issues over the years and Damon does not do anything about it. Cost me alittle over $300.00 to reset window /repair fiberglass and reseal. Usually the Local RV shop has a Glass window repair that can handle it. Good luck!
Old 05-27-2008, 05:49 AM   #4

Lance, this is one of those problems that is tough to resolve. It's funny how some coaches have it and some never do. I think it has something to do with how the windshield opening is cut out and finished. It's not just a Damon problem either. What isn't unique is how the manufacturer handles it. I would contact Damon if for no other reason than to have a record of the complaint. They, most likely, will direct you to your dealer who should get a glass company to come and reset it.
I think you will be told that it's all set once it's back in but it has been my experience that the fiberglass on the front cap will need to be built up a bit so the rubber gasket has more to hold on to. Unfortunately, you may need to do this more than once until the repairing company "gets it" and does the right thing.

I would notify Damon first. I don't think it's an insurance thing but it may not hurt to ask them..

Good luck.

Chandler

Wife, Dee
Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:12 AM   #5

Four winds has had its share of windshied seperation.Mostly the entry level gassers.They paid to have mine reseated 2 times ,2nd time was the charm.They typically blame the auto levelers.I level manually now.Less stress to front cap.Call Damon,explain the situation in a good tone of voice.First get it documented in writing from your dealer.If they refuse draft a letter to MH magazine complaining ,then send them a copy.Good luck.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:17 PM   #6

Thanks all for the input. I contacted Damon Customer Service (Tony) and after he said hi he said your out of warranty but let's hear the issue anyway. I told him and of course he said that could have happened using the levelers or driving into a gas station. Hmmm. I just never thought that these motorhome windshields would be that fragile. Any way he recommended and I did contact a local RV repair center. They don't work on windshields but recommended a local windshield repair center. Long story short, I drove the coach there and it was the service manager's opinion that it is a structural (most likely) or initial installation issue (less likely). He has seen a lot of popped windshield's but not one like mine. I hate being special... With that information I called and left a message with Tony at Damon with the information that I found out and when I talk to him I'll pass the Windshield center store manager's phone number. I guess we'll see. Again thanks for everyone's help.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:30 PM   #7

Well, it's a start. I really wish that these companies would forget the warranty and just do what's right. I do know that the box of the coach moves a lot especially when levelling or driving into or out of a driveway. I have seen mine move...It's normal. But..the windshield's design is supposed to take that movement into consideration. Most times they do but if the workers trim a little too much off the windshield cut out, then there will be trouble. Maybe your rubber gasket was not installed correctly and once it's reinstalled you'll be fine. I hope so. Good luck and keep us in the loop.

Chandler

Wife, Dee
Old 05-27-2008, 03:47 PM   #8

Thanks Chandler and I will.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:20 PM   #9

Well after reading this post I checked the front glass on my 2007 - 3270 and it has he same front end as the outlaw. Sure enough the rubber is glued to the glass and its pulling away from the fiberglass. Its just a small gap right now but I'm sure it will open up. I'm taking it in middle of June for a punch list of things that need fixed and we will see how well they fix it. The good thing is my dealer is only 2 miles away from the factory so if they have problems then they can have the factory fix it.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:12 PM   #10

You know, I've installed windows before back in the day when Dodge used the same system as some MH manufacturers do. A rubber gasket with a round bead that you put in the groove after the glass is in. I have never seen the glass glue to the rubber. The rubber to the frame, yes. I looked at mine and there is no adhesive on the glass. Maybe someone at the factory got their instructions wrong? I see this as a good thing. Remove the adhesive and the glass is free to move, not pull the rubber off the frame..Hopefully.

Good luck you two.

Chandler

Wife, Dee
Old 05-31-2008, 02:34 AM   #11

Makes me wonder about the glue on the windows. When I went to pick it up 10 months ago I pointed out that the rubber around the windows did not look right. They had a guy that works at the factory come over and look at it and he said they never sealed the windows. I had to wait a couple of hours while we removed the round rubber insert on both sides and he then used some type of sealer he said they use at the factory. This was some nasty stuff because it took a special solvent to remove it off the windows after he put the round rubber insert back in. He did not seal the rubber gasket to the fiberglass. Does anybody have any idea how they are done at the factory? I think I have read on some other posts that the rubber is glued to the fiberglass and then the windshields are installed. I would like to know so I can make sure its repaired right when I take it back in a couple of weeks.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:02 AM   #12

The mini saga comes to an end...

When I first noticed the windshield problem I gave Damon a call to discuss my options. Tony (Damon Customer Service) and I spent a considerable amount of time exchanging voice mails but we did finally link up. I need to point out that he tried calling me back every time I called and he never left me wondering if he would call. He said that he would be happy to discuss the problem with whoever I found to fix the windshield. Bottom line - I called Tony back after I had the problem diagnosed and gave him (left a voice mail) the name and number of the owner of the windshield repair and requested they link up to discuss the problem. Not only did he call but based on the exchange of information he gave the authorization for the repair and the cherry on top, told him that Damon would cover it. I got the windshield repaired yesterday and I gotta say the whole situation turned out to be a pleasant surprise and experience. Kudos to Damon and Tony!!!
Old 06-06-2008, 06:34 AM   #13

LanceMan did you happen to watch them do the repair. Do you see any glue between the rubber and the glass? At the bottom of the windshield does the rubber gasket raise up in the center of the two windows? Mine in the center of the windows is pushed up 1/4" to 3/8" and its about 2" wide.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:05 PM   #14

Snow -- sorry, I wasn't there when they repaired it. The rubber gasket seems to be uniform all the way around on the outside but the inside is another matter. Between the rubber gasket and side window brace (where plastic ends) on the passenger side there is very little gap. On the driver's side the gap is 1 or more inches. Hmmm.