Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #1

P30 front end experience needed!

Hello fellow enthusiasts!

My '99 DayBreak had oem air bags that had rotted-thru.

I jus' wrestled my way getting a new AirRide bag installed.

I am bothered by the fact that I cannot fit the end washers onto the bag.

This large 1-1/2" stabilizer bar may be the force that is keeping the spring from fully extending? The wheel is off the ground and there is NO room to move the bag up or down inside the spring to make room for the plastic washers.

My question is:

Is this stabilizer bar oem to the chassis?

If this is an add-on stabilizer bar then did I jus' replace this bag for no purpose?

HELP!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1721.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	38797   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1720.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	38798  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #2

My 2000 Hurricane has the same bar so I assume it is stock. I did have my bags replaced at CW shortly after I bought it two years ago. As I understand it, it truly was a pain in the you know where.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #3

I had a P30 & did the bag exchange for AirLifts.
You have to shove the bag up into the spring area, fold the large washers & shove them up thru the bottom hole, then wiggle the nipple back down into its fully down & locked position.
Then inflate the bag.
Its a struggle. I can't remember now if I put mine in or left them out for this exact reason. I do remember debating on the point.

Best thing about a P30 chassis is the extraordinary appreciation it gave me for the Alpine Coach. Saved my back for sure.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #4

Thanks Tom & Mike. I'll be installing the other bag tomorrow. I can hardly wait.
Maybe this is why the quotes for this work is $300-$800!
Old 05-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #5

I installed a set of Firestone air bags about a year ago and it was definitely a struggle. I attached the air hose, then deflated the bags by compressing them while I depressed the Schrader valve. This kept the air bags completely deflated and was much easier to install. If my memory serves me well I believe I rolled the air bags length ways. Next I lubricated the new air bags with a generous amount of electricians wire lube (cheap and available at Home Depot). With the air bag compressed so tightly I was able to easily get the washer in under the air bag. After that I depressed the Schrader valve again to allow air back into the bag, then slowly inflated and repositioned as needed. There is definitely NO NEED to disconnect the sway bar or any other suspension components for that matter, just patience and persistence.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #6

We have the same issue with our Damon Intruder. After researching the chassis a bit I've elected to replace the entire air bag and spring combination in favor of heavier springs to eliminate the problem ever reoccurring.
Super Steer sells the replacement coils.....
Anigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #7

Bags are in...RV is level front to back. I gained a couple inches in the front.

Those bags are a tuff install IMHO.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Next time I have trouble in that area I'll check with my finance people and see if I can afford the proper spring repair suggested by ANIGIA.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhit View Post
Bags are in...RV is level front to back. I gained a couple inches in the front.

Those bags are a tuff install IMHO.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Next time I have trouble in that area I'll check with my finance people and see if I can afford the proper spring repair suggested by ANIGIA.
If you achieved the desired results, then you have completed the proper repair. You may want to have the front end alignment checked. The ride height will effect the camber and toe setting.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:04 AM   #9

Here is pdf file address on installing the air bags. From the company I bought my bags from.

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/manual...-360_81560.pdf
Rockysvet is offline   Reply With Quote

« Fuses | a/c »