Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2009, 06:02 AM   #1

I have a 2007 Astoria that has this darn popping noise in the area of the jacks. I bleed the air out of the bags, then level the unit. After a few hours, especially when the outside temps go down in the evening, you will hear this metalic popping noise in the front and back around the jacks. Sounds like the is a stress point that expands and contracts. Has this happened to any of your units? I have eliminated the air bags in my search for the cause. HELP!!!
Ranger Reg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2009, 06:31 AM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
We have the same problem! It drives ms Carol crazy. I thought for a while it was just the load on the gravel base we had leveled on, but with your post I wonder now. Let us know when you figure it out.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:03 AM   #3

Us too!! 2007 Astoria here.
When letting the air down we hear a popping sound.which I guess may be normal(?) but sometimes loud,very loud.When we level it seems fine. But sometimes still hear the popping.
Sometimes I feel like the whole MH is going to collapse!
Someone must have insight to this.

This is my first MH so just hought this is what happens.
Glad for this post!
Sumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:08 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here are some old Posts about popping jacks check out the Rebels threads.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:10 AM   #5

I am experiencing the same thing on my 2006 Damon Challenger. It just started this year, 2009, when I set up here in Florida. The rear street side jack is the one that pops when the temperature is low. Per the Jack manufacturer, there isn't anything in the jack that would make this popping sound. Based on my working experience in designing truck suspensions, I am guessing it could be related to loose attachments of the jack to bracket or bracket to frame. I see that the attachment is by nut and bolt. When it gets cold, metal can shrink just enough to be loose enough to make noise. I don't have the right equipment right now to get under the motorhome to try to tighten all fasteners. I did ask Damon about the fasteners that attach the bracket to frame. All I see is the head of the bolt. Damon stated that the nut is secured, welded?, and should be able to tighten it by the bolt head. When tightening a bolt and nut, you want to tighten it by the nut, not the bolt, to get a secured joint. What I need to get is an universal joint for my 1/2" drive socket in order to get to the bolt head that secures the bracket to frame. If I get one while here in Florida, I try to see if this will fix the popping noise. If anyone else trues this out, I would appreciate to hear if this fixed it.
novi2some is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:34 PM   #6

My leveling jacks are from LCI. I sent them an e-mail about the popping sound I am experiencing. They reported back that there could be air in the lines and cold temperatures could cause a popping sound. They said to check the fluid level with the jacks fully up. The level should be no more then 1/2" from the top of the reservoir. if greater then 1/2", fill with Dextron II, cycle the jacks 3 times, waiting 15/20 minutes between cycles. I will check mine tomorrow. This sounds logical, since this popping just started last month.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:02 PM   #7

Glad to hear I'm not hearing things and seems there is other RV's that have the same noise. I will check my fluid in the morning and cycle the jacks. Will keep you posted.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:13 AM   #8

Rechecked my e-mail from LCI. The fluid is Dextron III.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:56 AM   #9

I checked my fluid level. It was at or a little more then 1/2" from the top. I filled it to about a 1/4" from the top. I cycled the jacks as instructed by LCI. The popping is still there. I wrote back to LCI telling them it did not fix it. I will let you all know what they say.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:35 AM   #10

I received a reply from LCI on what to do next. I was told to extend the jacks, but not so far to lift the tires off the ground. I was told to clean the jack shafts and spray the shafts with a dry lube and cycle the jacks. I was to do this twice. I did this and the popping noise is gone. Looks like the noise is related to dry seals in the jacks. I hope this will help others.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:24 PM   #11

What dry lube did you use?
Thanks
DiamondDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:04 PM   #12

What I used was RV Dry Lube for slides I saw at Walmart. It was in the RV aisle. As a safety measurer after using this dry lube, I also sprayed the jack with a silicone spray. I couldn't find on the Dry Lube can any statement that it was a silicone type of spray. So far so good for the past two days. No more popping noise.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:06 AM   #13

Well, I keep checking back to see if there is anymore ideas to this problem. I tried the tank level thing and recyled the jacks. No difference. Now I will try the dry spray, hope it works. "This is fun!!!" Thanks guys!!!
Old 02-15-2009, 01:43 PM   #14

The dry lube sure made a difference for me. It has been three days since I sprayed the jacks. There is no popping noise no matter the outside temperature.