RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2011, 07:04 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Post problems or not

Just thinking that some posters are bashing thier RV and in turn reducing the brands market value.

ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think that if an owner has legit. problems with his/her RV, then posting a reference to these problem/s and maybe the ultimate solution to said problem/s can be helpful to both the manufacturer and to other owners of the same brand/model. I believe that the complicated nature of the modern motor home is such that there will be issues with just about any and all brands, regardless of cost. Are there quality control issues with specific brands, of course, but usually the company will improve or lose buyers down the road. The Internet is a curse and a blessing for any company, and RV manufacturers are no exception. Word travels fast - both good and bad, and it behooves all companies to stay "on top of" issues that plague their brands. Value, in my opinion, is not diminished if problems are addressed in a timely and satisfactory manner. A happy owner is a likely repeat customer.

Bronk

bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:54 AM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
So let me get this straight. You feel that if I post a problem with my coach that might save grief for you and other RVers it might lower the market value of the coach brand? Interesting.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:41 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
OP here. There is value in posting problems. I personally read just about every one in hopes that if I experiance the same problem I will know what to do. But I think some get carried away and go beyond the problem, condeming and bashing the mfg. Which in turn, I think, lowers the resale value of everyons RV in the Mfg's line. Just food for thought. There is a big difference between: my dohicky broke and Damons are all crap. If some one goes beyond the problem and condems all, maybe we need to balance the thread with our positive results? Or better yet someone will remember this post in the future and just stick to the facts.
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:36 AM   #5

I would encourage people to post their problems and their frustrations. It not only helps those who may have the same problem in the future but also those who are trying to make decisions on what brand/model for the next (or first) purchase. I know I relied heavily on this and other forums when trying to educate myself before my first dp purchase. It can be a tremendous resource and the experience of its members is what makes it that way. Thanks to all who share.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:58 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srydve View Post
I would encourage people to post their problems and their frustrations. It not only helps those who may have the same problem in the future but also those who are trying to make decisions on what brand/model for the next (or first) purchase. I know I relied heavily on this and other forums when trying to educate myself before my first dp purchase. It can be a tremendous resource and the experience of its members is what makes it that way. Thanks to all who share.
I concur. We love our coach but have had to fix way too many issues that the OEM should have taken care of during design and manufacturing. I do not believe this is limited to any particular OEM's as from my observation all manufacturers are cutting corners any and every place they can.The OEM's (and other owners) need to hear the issues or the process will never get better. Buyers Beware.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:32 AM   #7

I can somewhat understand what the OP is saying. We have a new to us 2004 Damon Escaper 4076 and we love it.

It seems that on the forums Tiffin is praised because of "Bob" and Newmar owners praise the Amish craftsmanship of their coach. Winnebago is tolerated and Damon is a redheaded stepchild. Other brands like Gulf Stream and Alfa don't have a chance in hell of anything decent being said about them.

My coach was manufactured in Elkhart, IN which is about 17 miles north of Newmar's home in Nappanee, IN. Hmmm, I guess the Amish don't live close enough to Elkhart to work there?

I have had a few questions that I took to the source. I called Thor/Damon customer service and found them to be very helpful. So without a "Bob" to run and cry to, I got my questions answered.

I suppose that I should say thank you to those that have bashed the Thor/Damon products and driven the market value down. I got one heck of a deal on a really beautiful well made coach. I am a proud Damon owner.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:57 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a hunch, mind you, just a hunch that IRV2 is not a big enough forum to "set the market" on any brand of anything. Certainly can effect the opinions of who ever reads this site and their circle of friends; and therefore drive a portion of people of undetermined number to or away from a product/brand---I think that is it.

No more effective actually than what is discussed by IRV2 non-participants ( and I think they out number participants) who generally discuss their frustrations about anything including their rig to other RV types they meet while using their RV.

However for every heartfelt criticism on IRV2 there is an equal and opposite equally heartfelt uplifting comment about the same thing. What ever the criticism is, it pretty much accepts the weight of opposing views. More like a pro and con discussion than a rant.

Another hunch I have is that manufacturers do everything that need be done good or bad to create the value for their product (particularly RV's).

IMHO they can all do better.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Amish Acres Historic Farm & Heritage Resort | Farm tours, documentary films, horse drawn rides, musical theatre, family style dining, and lodging in Nappanee, IN
Nappanee, IN

Official Amish Country Visitors Guide: Elkhart County, Northern Indiana
Elkart,IN

The Amish work on coaches in both towns,I've been to both plants and Workhorse plant in Union City,I lot of good craftsmen here in Indiana.
ccook129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
We don't allow bashing of manufacturers, dealers, or product. If you experience a problem with your rv and can't get it resolved we allow a post documenting the problem and what was done to get it resolve. It's important to include both sides of the disagreement so members get a clear picture of the situation and may be able to provide useful information or may have had some experience with the problem.

RJay is offline   Reply With Quote