Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Propane question

Since I have no manuals to refer to, what's the best method to handle propane when not in use? Should the proprone be turned off at the main tank or just left on if only not in use for a week or two? I worry about having to purge the lines if left off.

Thanks Craig, Sandy, Grandma and the Dog kids.
2008 Damon Challenger 376, Workhorse Chassis, brand new Koni's and Roadmaster sway bar. Jeep Wangler toad.
ElCajonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can have my valve off all winter, turn it on and go right in and light the stove.

I'd say turning it off is the better idea just in case you bump a knob on the stove while in there doing anything. I've had that happen.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I shut mine off during longer "lay up" periods just in case there may be a leak somewhere. Just remember to turn it back on before useage. I forgot one time and for the life of me could not figure out why the furnace would not light - duh!! I noticed that you have the same model and year that we have. How do you like it , and have you had any issues with it thus far. We have over 12,000 miles on our which is on a Ford chassis. Other than the Lippert jacking pump going out while we were in Maine this past summer, we have no real issues and really like the coach. We had a Travel Supreme 5th wheel prior to this, so we were a little spoiled when it comes to the limited space in the MH. The trade off is easier parking and accessibility, and I enjoy ddriving the MH more than towing a vehicle.

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronk View Post
I shut mine off during longer "lay up" periods just in case there may be a leak somewhere. Just remember to turn it back on before useage. I forgot one time and for the life of me could not figure out why the furnace would not light - duh!! I noticed that you have the same model and year that we have. How do you like it , and have you had any issues with it thus far. We have over 12,000 miles on our which is on a Ford chassis. Other than the Lippert jacking pump going out while we were in Maine this past summer, we have no real issues and really like the coach. We had a Travel Supreme 5th wheel prior to this, so we were a little spoiled when it comes to the limited space in the MH. The trade off is easier parking and accessibility, and I enjoy ddriving the MH more than towing a vehicle.

Bronk
We bought it used from a dealer last Oct and loving it. The workhorse classis seems real solid. Our last MH was a ‘73 23’ Midas on a ford classis, so this was a big improvement for us. The dealer replaced the seat covers (known problem), repaired/replaced leaky jacks, leak around the shower, defective wiper motor and power steering unit. I’ve added in-motion sat, three ways camera’s, tow bar, Koni shocks and front sway bar for starters and purchased an extended warranty for peace of mind. I believe this unit was a gently used repo since the manuals, DVD player and receiver systems were all missing. I’m in the market for a replacement surround sound unit, any recommendations?
Thanks, Craig
ElCajonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #5
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I almost never shut mine off but I should. I run the heater on Sundays starting week before last so I can watch the races in my makeshift man cave. Once spring sets in the DW takes it over.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The only time mine is off is when they're filling the propane tank.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:00 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
I turn mine off when its in storage You dont have to I guess I just feel safer that way
gasser 38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:24 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCajonee View Post
We bought it used from a dealer last Oct and loving it. The workhorse classis seems real solid. Our last MH was a ‘73 23’ Midas on a ford classis, so this was a big improvement for us. The dealer replaced the seat covers (known problem), repaired/replaced leaky jacks, leak around the shower, defective wiper motor and power steering unit. I’ve added in-motion sat, three ways camera’s, tow bar, Koni shocks and front sway bar for starters and purchased an extended warranty for peace of mind. I believe this unit was a gently used repo since the manuals, DVD player and receiver systems were all missing. I’m in the market for a replacement surround sound unit, any recommendations?
Thanks, Craig
I have an extend a hose for an external tank. We use a 20 lb external tank. So we dont have to break down to get the bottle filled. When we go away for a few days we switch to the large stationary tank. We had a cg loose electric one time and the refrig emptied the 20 lber. The only time we shut all of them off is to refill.
I installed a surround that I replaced in the stick house. I ran the speaker wiers thru the cabinets & mounted the speakers on the walls. I placed the subwoofer on the floor by the passenger footwell. This has a much better sound than the factory setup & it includes a dvd player in the receiver.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:58 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Only used to turn ours off for the winter months when not in use.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The folks at the dealerships, mechanics, and firemen will tell you to shut off the propane at the tank for safety reasons.

I have a better reason to turn the propane off at the tank...tiny leaks will drain your tank over time..and ALL RV's have tiny leaks in the lines or else there would be no reason to purge the lines after shut-off. Also, if a big enough leak develops, you could lose your RV!!

I always turn off the tank if my rig is parked for a couple days or more.

And, it is SO EASY to purge the line by turning on the tank then using the cooktop burners to let the air out of the lines. You can hold a match to the burner until the propane makes it to the burner, but I use a long reach lighter, like the ones made for fireplaces. Or, you could just keep turning the stove igniter if you have one. When all the burners burn blue, most all the air is out of the lines. Then with propane in the main line to the cooktop, the furnace and fridge will clear out any air in their spur lines in just a few seconds.

Take care,
Steve and Kim
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:17 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine has been on for seven years.

No problems encountered so far.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:42 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Craig,

If you saw tonights local TV news (noticed you are based in El Cajon) then you saw the second story this week about a RV fire somewhere in the San Diego area.

I am really surprised by all the folks that posted here that they leave their propane tank valve on all the time...and I guess that is why there are all these fires!

Things that make me say "Hmmmmmm."

Take care,
Steve in Rancho Penasquitos!
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Craig,

If you saw tonights local TV news (noticed you are based in El Cajon) then you saw the second story this week about a RV fire somewhere in the San Diego area.

I am really surprised by all the folks that posted here that they leave their propane tank valve on all the time...and I guess that is why there are all these fires!

Things that make me say "Hmmmmmm."

Take care,
Steve in Rancho Penasquitos!

Thank you for pointing out that the only reason a motorhome will catch on fire is if we leave the propane turned on....

Things that make me say "Hmmmmmm......it's none of my business."

Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IF putting the rig in storage turn off the propane at the main tank valve.

Heaven forbid a line fail, that way it fails safe.

Line failures are rare, but not impossible.

Tags
propane