Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #1

Real Time Help Needed: Batteries

I am putting in 2 6 volt AGM batteries. My old ones overflowed and ate the cable ends off. While installing the new leads I broke the old fuse and had to order another one. For some reason I didn't take any pictures.

Can someone look at the picture and tell me if Line A & B are correct? Probably a lot of the damon RVs would have the same hook up...the fuses are right next the frame by the batteries under the steps.

If I remember correctly line A & C both go the first battery positive terminal. Line D was never moved so that was correct, and line D was marked so that should be ok.

Any help I can get as fast as possible would be great. Yours should look different because my old top fuse was a different type, but this is all I could find to replace it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery setup fuses.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	45967  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #2

Look for the pics in the photo section at top of the page. Remembering that positives go to the fuses is all I can help you with. Hope you get more input
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropframe View Post
I am putting in 2 6 volt AGM batteries. My old ones overflowed and ate the cable ends off. While installing the new leads I broke the old fuse and had to order another one. For some reason I didn't take any pictures.

Can someone look at the picture and tell me if Line A & B are correct? Probably a lot of the damon RVs would have the same hook up...the fuses are right next the frame by the batteries under the steps.

If I remember correctly line A & C both go the first battery positive terminal. Line D was never moved so that was correct, and line D was marked so that should be ok.

Any help I can get as fast as possible would be great. Yours should look different because my old top fuse was a different type, but this is all I could find to replace it!
I am traveling so I cannot get a picture, but I can do it in a week from now.
In the short term, I am pretty sure that line "B" should be on the other side of the fuse from line "A."

The fuses protect the RV from a melt down and associated fire if a short occurs...these big fat fuses will stop any flow from the battery if that was to occur.

Then, like in Scott's picture, the 2 hot leads go to the same battery terminal.

Hope that helps...will get back to you with a pic around the 24th if you still need it.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #4

I will wait if I have to, but that is the question I need answered! Thanks! That is the only place it fit naturally, but when I removed the original fuse after I broke it, I only marked 1 of those cables - So frustrating!
Old 09-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #5

Your picture is very hard to make out so I will simply assume you have 2 6V batteries that you wish to run at 12V and have the power fused...and that you have more than ONE positive OUTPUT connection from the 2 batteries wired in series. Here's a simple diagram of the correct basic hookup without fuses.

So the basic setup involves 3 cables. The last positive to positive cable on the right is the one which you will wish to fuse as close as possible to the positive terminal of that battery.
All other POSITIVE wires which need to be connected to that battery pair should also be attached to that same terminal AND they should be individually fused. Additional Negative wires may be connected to the negative terminal on the bottom left of the drawing OR to the common ground bus bar that the negative wire at that terminal is already connected to.

Hope this is helpful and timely for you...good luck!
Old 09-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #6

I'll add this in just to save you time in case you are moving to a DOULBLE set up with 4 6V batteries.

We'll call the batteries 1/2/3/4 from left to right. You essentially have 2 12 volt batteries wired parallel to provide you with 12v but double the amp hours of a single pair.

In this case...you can attach external devices directly to the + terminals of EITHER or BOTH battery #2 and battery #4. All fuses should be attached to those two terminals as well.
Negative wires may be attached to the negative terminals of Batteries 1 or 3...or to the negative bus found at the other end of the wire already shown connected to battery #1.
Note that the Way the batteries are lined up is not material as many people put them in a square or have each pair a little away from each other based on space needs. What matters in all cases is for you to figure out the wiring between the two pairs to match the WIRING in the diagram above.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #7

Here is the answer to how to hook up the Fuses for any future searchers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010367.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	46457  

Tags
batteries