Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2022, 05:10 PM   #1

Seat material flaking off

On our 2010 Damon Challenger 368 our driver and passenger seats the outer material is flaking off. The couch just started as well.

Any suggestions for seat covers for the front seats? Don't want to break the bank, just stop the flaking. We'll think of something for the couch.

Thanks

Bob
RJL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2022, 05:20 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
That is a very common problem. we were not happy with any slip-on covers and couldn't afford to have them re-upholstered so we bought new furniture from Recpro. pretty good prices and we got away from leather and went to cloth.
Winniewinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:27 PM   #3

Lots and lots of options out there. Do a google search for RV seat covers. Here's a quick one I came up with. Good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/Covercraft-SV...992997858&th=1
Notayurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:32 PM   #4

Thank you both.

I'll check out that site Notayurt.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:18 AM   #5

Same thing happened on our 2008 Astoria. Front seats looked terrible. I took them to a local guy I found on Facebook who made all new seat covers for half the price the RV dealer quoted us. We got to pick out the color, pattern, and material and even had the option of adding back the Astoria logo. We picked cloth for the wearable surface and vinyl for everywhere else.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211113_150246.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	373180
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211114-094705_Facebook.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	373179
Old 08-16-2022, 03:43 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Vinyl

We have a 2017 Thor Aria. First the couch started to flake around were we put our heads. Then the dinette started where we probably put our hands getting in and out.
When it first started I was at the Thor factory and a vinyl repair guy was there and looked at our issue. He told me that a "batch" of bad/cheap vinyl had been used by a number of suppliers and this was a common problem. His recommendation was buy new furniture or reupholster.
Fortunately we have a church friend who does upholstery. He recommended a cloth by the trade name Crypton. We went with that and just put the dinette back in the coach.
So far the captain's chair are okay, but they will next I'm sure.
Polishilldav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 04:29 PM   #7

Before making any final decision on slip on covers etc., you may want to look online at Bauer RV Upholstery.
The quality of their ultra-leather material and workmanship is outstanding, and the finished results are better than new.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 04:39 PM   #8

This may not be of much help, but our 2015 Thor Axis captain seats up front starting flaking big time. Con't remember where I got them, but got a couple of seat covers for about $40 and they fit well and look good. That option is available, I probably got them on Amazon. Quick, easy fix.
flipper003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 05:07 PM   #9

Seat surface flaking off.

My 2012 Challenger 36FD is doing the same thing. The surface of all the fake leather surfaces are flaking off.
I've had a quote of $2,000 to resurface everything.
Thor used some cheap fake leather.
TDetwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:33 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
We have a 2017 Venetian (pretty much same as Aria so most likely the same materials) and ours is definitely cracking and flaking off on pretty much all the seating surfaces. I was told that many RV builders switched to a Chinese supplier a few years ago (surprise surprise) and thought the quality was the same but it is certainly not proving to be so. I am going to have to redo all our interior or replace everything and that is going to cost a fortune. We bought some seat covers from Amazon for the front that fit reasonably well, but are still Chinese crap that won't hold up for more than a year or so.
SoCal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJL1 View Post
On our 2010 Damon Challenger 368 our driver and passenger seats the outer material is flaking off. The couch just started as well.

Any suggestions for seat covers for the front seats? Don't want to break the bank, just stop the flaking. We'll think of something for the couch.

Thanks

Bob
We bought covers for the driver and passenger seats at Gander Mountain and they worked out very nicely.
Wwdnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 07:06 AM   #12

This actually put flexsteel out of the RV furniture business. It was an issue where the vinyl manufacturers were trying a recycled vinyl. It affected everyone who used that vinyl. It affected home furniture manufacturers too. But flexsteel was just the biggest. Some of the original flexsteel employees started up a company that makes the skins to the exact dimensions so that you could replace them yourselves also. There is also this if you’re near Elkhart IN ever… https://www.technomadia.com/2014/06/...ts-in-elkhart/
Mikem610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 07:17 AM   #13

Our 2012 Bay Star is having the same issues. There isn't really any cheap solutions for the long haul, IMHO. We've already had our captain's chairs reupholstered at a local shop which was cheaper than buying new chairs. We just had our dinette cushions recovered to match our captain's chairs and that was a big upgrade. Our couch is really starting to crack, which we knew was coming a couple of years ago. We've ordered a new sofa sleeper from Braddandhall.com and it should be ready for installation in October.

While it has cost us some bucks, once the sofa is installed, the interior of our Bay Star will look much more updated. We plan to enjoy it for a couple of years or so, and then when we downsize to a smaller rig, the Bay Star should be very marketable.

So, take your time and make changes that will not only make you happy, but prove to be a good investment. As mentioned, be careful about a lot of replacement furniture that is available that won't be much better than what came in your RV.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 09:23 PM   #14

Again. Thank you all. I'll be busy researching over the winter and get this mess figured out.

Tags
seat