Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2011, 03:04 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Starting Generator

I have a Cummings/Onan generator in my Damon Challenger. No where in the directions for starting does it state how long the "primer" switch be held in the on position before attempting to start the generator. I noticed that if I hold it on for an extended period of time, the "clicking" ( I assume priming process) does not stop. Is it best to hold it in prime position for a shorter time than say, 5 or 10 seconds. The generator seems to start OK most of the time, but sometimes it seems to turn over for an extended period of time before starting. The manual mentions the process of priming, but does not state for how long. Thanks in advance for any information.

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2011, 03:44 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronk View Post
I have a Cummings/Onan generator in my Damon Challenger. No where in the directions for starting does it state how long the "primer" switch be held in the on position before attempting to start the generator. I noticed that if I hold it on for an extended period of time, the "clicking" ( I assume priming process) does not stop. Is it best to hold it in prime position for a shorter time than say, 5 or 10 seconds. The generator seems to start OK most of the time, but sometimes it seems to turn over for an extended period of time before starting. The manual mentions the process of priming, but does not state for how long. Thanks in advance for any information.

Bronk
Listen to the clicks. if it is low, the clicking will be fast. when it is primed the clicking slows down. The primer is mainly there for the times you run the gen. out of fuel.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronk View Post

Bronk
Hello Bronk, On my generator, as shown by my dealer when I bought my motorhome. You hold the button down to prime and watch the light on the actual switch. It will flash when the generator is primed, it doesn't stay lit so you have to watch for it. At that point I push up on the button to start.
melving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #4

I will be curios to read the replies. I to have the same issues. This past weekend I held the button down for at least 10 - 15 seconds and nothing but I could hear it click. I then stopped and tried again. After about 10 more seconds it started. In the warmer months 5 seconds or so it would start. So I think the cooler weather has alot to do with it.
Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:58 PM   #5

Don't prime mine. I run it about once a month, start it from inside the coach, starts up usually in about 3 to 5 secs of cranking.

Bill
Old 11-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
mine you just press and hold til she starts up, i assume it primed and did the glow plugs then turned over. mine makes a small clicking whirring noise
my switch has three positions down is off up is start middle or released is run
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:56 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by melving View Post
Hello Bronk, On my generator, as shown by my dealer when I bought my motorhome. You hold the button down to prime and watch the light on the actual switch. It will flash when the generator is primed, it doesn't stay lit so you have to watch for it. At that point I push up on the button to start.
Ditto but only need to prime when you run it out of fuel or let it sit for a long time I usually run mine once a month no prime needed
gasser 38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser 38 View Post
Ditto but only need to prime when you run it out of fuel or let it sit for a long time I usually run mine once a month no prime needed
Thanks for the input, I'll try and remember that. I run my once a month also with a load on it.
melving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #9

According to the onan 7500 watt diesel gen set manual it states when your fuel filter has been replaced or when prime is needed "Prime the fuel system by holding the control switch down it's stop position for at least one minute. Priiming is necessary to displace the air in the new filter with fuel."
I suppose if you have a small leak from a valve or line fitting you could cause air to get into the fuel line/filter requireing a prime. This would be more necessary the longer the coach sat unused.
2000 Damon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator