Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2015, 08:42 AM   #1

Question Strange battery disconnect/isolator wiring

I have a 2007 Damon Outlaw and I am the second owner. In tracking down an issue with the chassis battery running down, I noticed what appears to be some odd wiring on the battery disconnect/isolator solenoid. It is located under the hood, on the drivers side of the firewall.

There are 2 orange wires, each with 40 amp fuses that are tieing the disconnect relay and the isolator solenoid together on the right (chasssis) side. This does not appear anywhere in the Intellitec documentation so it was either installed by Damon or by the PO. If I understand how this works, this seems to basically be bypassing the isolator. I have attached a photo of the wiring (not the 2 orange wires with blue terminals). The 2 fuses were blown and I replaced and the blew again. I believe they blew when I tried the Aux start, but I would have to try it again with fresh fuses to confirm that.

Could someone confirm if their Outlaw is wired the same way?

screen capture freeware

Thank you for any light you can shed on this matter.

J
jksoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2015, 03:32 PM   #2

More info

After some more investigating, I also discovered that the 5 amp fuse that feeds the isolator solenoid has been removed. Once again, I don't know if this is factory or not, but in this configuration with the 2 40 amp fuses blown/removed, the chassis battery will never be charged from the coach. With the 2 40 amp fuses working, the chassis battery would ALWAYS be charging when on shore power. I need to test that solenoid and see if it works. I suppose if it is blown, that could explain things. Still more questions than answers but at least I have a better understanding of how it is currently working.
J
Old 07-27-2015, 10:01 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jeremy,

You are right...those orange wires were added aftermarket. We do not have those wires on our '07 Outlaw.

The top solenoid is for the main house-power disconnect (salesman switch).
The bottom solenoid is the cross-over to allow charging the house battery with engine alternator power.

Intellitec uses this basic design for many of their Battery Control Center's (BCC) - like, it can be wired to provide a controlled charge to the chassis battery while on shore power...ours does not do this in OEM set-up.

Tying all these power leads together can cause problems...I would use the BCC manual to bring it back to OEM.

Please join other Outlaw owners here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/i-lo...aw-102560.html
and
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/outl...es-149108.html

Best luck and feel free to ask any more questions you have.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:23 AM   #4

Thanks for the info.

My plan is to try to put it back to stock based on the Intellitec documentation, but I am assuming it ended up in this configuration for a reason, like perhaps a problem with the isolator solenoid or perhaps even the board. Everything I tested on it so far has checked out so I guess there is only one way to find out. The solenoid is inexpensive if that is what is bad. I'll post back with what I discover.

Jeremy

Oh, and I love the St. Bernard in your profile pic. That is where my dog likes to ride as well. Always has to see what is out there.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:40 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The bottom solenoid in our BCC is starting to fail (sticks open), so we would be interested in your finding for replacement.

BTW: The '07 is identical to the '07 Damon Daybreak from the bath forward, if there is ever a question about parts or you want to search about these type things. There were LOTS of Daybreaks made/sold.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-28-2015, 08:46 PM   #6

Quick update on this. I pulled the solenoid and the board. The solenoid was bad and I found a replacement on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BZO31VK
It looks like a direct replacement and I should have it tomorrow.

Unfortunately, that was only part of the problem. Upon examining the board, I can see that the ground trace is blown completely off of the board. Replacement boards are available but seem to run anywhere from $115-$150. I'm going to see if I can repair it before investing in a new board. We have a trip planned this weekend so I am going to have to put it all back together in it's current state and then come back to it.

Jeremy
Old 06-30-2016, 10:34 PM   #7

It has been a while since posted this originally but I wanted to follow up with the results in case in could help someone else who encounters a similar problem.

We are not full timers. We use the RV for long weekend trips sporadically through the year and tailgating in the fall. When we are not using it, it is easy to forget about it and all of the things we want to fix/change on it. When we are using it, we wonder why we haven't fixed all of the nagging issues yet. At least this nagging issue is fixed now.

I replaced the solenoid and also the missing 5 amp fuse on the BCC. I removed the orange jumper wires. I also repaired a broken ground trace on the BCC control board by soldering in a new wire to replace the broken trace.

After all of this, everything appears to be working as it should. The battery disconnect works, and now when I am on shorepower, both the chassis and coach batteries are being charged from the converter.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:44 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the update

House and chassis battery being charged by shore power converter/charger...?

Are you sure? Ours has never charged the chassis battery from shore power converter/charger. I was told that to do that requires the addition of a "BIRD" or similar additional device. This is because the converter/charger is producing voltage needed by the in-use house battery, which would cook the idle house battery.

Safe Outlaw Travels

P.S. Come add your name here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/list...rs-280110.html
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-21-2016, 06:37 PM   #9

Battery Disconnect 2008 damon DayBreak 3276 Not working

Hello,
Can anyone Help me out.My Coach battery is draining even when Coach is Plugged into my house power.I had a New Generator Installed and ever since they did the work my battery disconnect switch by entrance door does not work.That being said, I went to pull the Battery Disconnect switch out and Damon/Thor decided it was a good Idea to put the grey foam insulation around all the wires and glue them in.So they all ripped out while removing switch.I have NO IDEA what goes where. There are two Purple wires.One Grey wire ..Two white wires and and Orange wire.A total of Six (6) Wires and Six (6) clips on a 2" x 2.5 Inch switch.I think they grounded out the solenoid when installing the new generator.Though before spending $ 57.00.I would like to check this Disconnect switch.I need an Idea on how to wire.Purple is on one side of Coach Solenoid , grey that switches to Orange on other.Whites and Grey I have NO IDEA where they come from or go.I assume House batteries .I have two (2) and possibly the inverter. Please Help.Thank you........ Jp .......
Mr Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
House and chassis battery being charged by shore power converter/charger...?

Are you sure? Ours has never charged the chassis battery from shore power converter/charger. I was told that to do that requires the addition of a "BIRD" or similar additional device. This is because the converter/charger is producing voltage needed by the in-use house battery, which would cook the idle house battery.
Both batteries are definitely being charged from the converter/charger. Our chassis battery was dead as a doornail which is actually what prompted me to get this thing fixed. Plugged in the converter and by the next morning the chassis battery was at full charge. The Intellitec Battery Control Center specifically mentions a Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay Controller in the schematic on page 11. This was manual was invaluable in sorting out what was going on as it can be a confusing mess of wires and relays.
J
Old 07-22-2016, 09:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Handy View Post
Hello,
Can anyone Help me out.My Coach battery is draining even when Coach is Plugged into my house power.I had a New Generator Installed and ever since they did the work my battery disconnect switch by entrance door does not work.That being said, I went to pull the Battery Disconnect switch out and Damon/Thor decided it was a good Idea to put the grey foam insulation around all the wires and glue them in.So they all ripped out while removing switch.I have NO IDEA what goes where. There are two Purple wires.One Grey wire ..Two white wires and and Orange wire.A total of Six (6) Wires and Six (6) clips on a 2" x 2.5 Inch switch.I think they grounded out the solenoid when installing the new generator.Though before spending $ 57.00.I would like to check this Disconnect switch.I need an Idea on how to wire.Purple is on one side of Coach Solenoid , grey that switches to Orange on other.Whites and Grey I have NO IDEA where they come from or go.I assume House batteries .I have two (2) and possibly the inverter. Please Help.Thank you........ Jp .......
Mr Handy,
The manual I attached in a previous post on this thread may be of some help. I have a 2007 Outlaw and that manual applies to the BCC on my Outlaw.
Page 10 shows the wiring diagram for the Coach Panel and it does show 6 wires but the colors appear to be different than what you describe. This may or may not apply to your situation.

For the converter to not be charging the coach batteries, the upper solenoid labeled Coach/Chassis would need to be open which is what is controlled by the remote switch you are trying to piece back together.

Did you try to get any satisfaction from the shop that installed your generator?

J
Old 07-25-2016, 01:01 PM   #12

Yes.They said all we did was put your new generator in.#2 from ONAN made in China.First one was bad.They did help me with distributor out of Arizona.They were The Worst.I forget their name.Though they operate under 3-4 names.So no help from installer.Just said.We did not touch battery disconnect.We all know you do not have to touch it to burn it out.Though I am aiming at the seliniod.Is there a way to see if selinoid is opening and closing.Like jumping it from point A - B
Old 07-26-2016, 06:51 AM   #13

Page 3 of manual I posted mentions a testing procedure for the battery disconnect. It involves applying 12V to the smaller screw terminals on the front of the disconnect relay. The direction the voltage is applied determines whether it opens or closes.

J
Old 08-06-2016, 10:15 AM   #14

JK Soft

Thank you. I am now trying to get the Disconnect switch back in.As quoted when I pulled out switch which is by entrance door.They put spray foam insulation around all wires.So they all ripped off the switch.Six (6) of them.I have pics.I will check manual.I have so much to do around farm.Oyyyyy Vayyyyyy...:face palm:

Thank you JK Soft

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, wiring