Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2010, 05:51 AM   #15

Poor Bob Cummings!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2010, 12:35 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschuerg View Post
Maybe some of you don't get it.
All I asked for is help from DAMON and got SQUAT.
As for some one preaching to me about what my losses and gains are going to be if I wanted your advice I'd ask. By the way I have been through this before It's not a Freightliner issue CUMMINGS is now being blamed. (oh bedroom spelling!)
There too many people willing to settle that partly what is wrong with this economy.
I won't settle for incompentence from anyone including myself nor should anyone else have to. and yes I have been very patient.

I think everyone here gets it just fine. Your primary issues are either chassis or motor. Neither of these are warranted by Damon. It sounds like Damon referred you to the appropriate source. You are upset, and I understand that. But the folks here are telling you the truth. You seem very confrontational here... with folks actually trying to help you. Perhaps your angst is misdirected? Good luck...
SteveE9C6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:50 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A couple of the things he listed are actually Damon's problem.. One problem, I'm not sure if he explained it or not and I'm not sure what caused it if he did (Foul smell in coach followed by the battery comment, The foul smell could have been the batteries or something else, he was unclear, and the failure of the batteries could have been due to many thigns (too many to list)

Cold water pipe in kitchen I'v e had that problem too (only I think it was a hot pipe) they tend to under tighten the fittings.. In my case I just re-connected the pipe.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:48 PM   #18

We also had problems with our coach that were passed back and forth between the various manufacturers. After much frustration with trying to get it fixed on our own, we talked to the sales manager @ the dealership. He called the coach manufacturer(Winnebago) who in turn called me. We talked about the problems we were having with the coach. I explained that we had talked to a customer representative @ the factory when we were there and accomplished nothing. He told me that he would get back with me later that day. He did not personally call me but the Cummins rep did. Cummins told me that they would stand behind getting the problem fixed, which they did. Freightliner also stood behind their end of the fix, even well after the warranty had expired. I know that this is of no comfort right now, with a new coach, that you are wanting to use. I guess that you have to keep trying to find someone @ the dealership or manufacturer that will help you get things going. Try to find competent shops that do know what they are doing. They are out there. Most factory reps know which ones do good work. If you aren't satisfied with one of them tell the factory that you want it fixed @ a more competent shop. Keep on them every day and you should get some satisfaction. Good Luck,
Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschuerg View Post
Maybe some of you don't get it.
All I asked for is help from DAMON and got SQUAT.
As for some one preaching to me about what my losses and gains are going to be if I wanted your advice I'd ask. By the way I have been through this before It's not a Freightliner issue CUMMINGS is now being blamed. (oh bedroom spelling!)
There too many people willing to settle that partly what is wrong with this economy.
I won't settle for incompentence from anyone including myself nor should anyone else have to. and yes I have been very patient.
You did ask for advice... you came here and asked, so fair game. The person was just providing information that they may or may not know you have. In essence, trying to help. While I did my best to keep my posting polite, you really owe some of these people an apology. There is no excuse for your confrontational attitude and rudeness toward people who are trying to help.

Bill
Old 05-11-2010, 04:50 AM   #20

For the few.

who are sensitive I'm sorry for you. The fact of the matter is I have had several conversations w/Damon Customer Service regarding this and a number of other issues of only a few solved. The response has been the same either and I quote "What would you have us do", "The dealer you bought it from is not our dealer", "This is not our problem".
I have had a number of problems some are Freightliner, some Cummins,and some are Damon. I have a relationship w/both Cummins and Freightliner for over 15 years never have had the run around from either.
When it came time I didn't question to write a check to pay for the coach all I was asking for was help from Damon not BS.
Some of you think I am rude , crash, and ill tempered. Well the fact of the matter is I am none of the above but I sure as hell MAD.
I sell a product my name goes on it even though other parties are involved with it's production I take responsibility. Someone complains I try to resolve it or at least point them in the right direction not pass the buck or act like I don't care even if I don't. Little things and words and can often help.
I spoke to the Cummins factory rep yesterday said they had ordered a block and would have to build my motor min. of 2 to 3 weeks. Then it will have to go back to Freightliner to finish the orininal repairs and on to a Damon dealer. By the way my dealer offered to change out my coach with a similar one only cost me another $ 25,000.
aschuerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:30 AM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ah, you purchased from a non-authorized dealer.. Now I start to understand

one thing you can be sure Damon understands is a guideline called the "Uniform Commericial Code" Most states have consumer protection laws that are based on this guideline.

What it says is the SELLER warrants.. Not the factory. IN practice if you buy from an authorized dealer then the factory will re-emburse them for repairs made under warranty.. And other authorized dealers will honor the warranty as part of their contract with Damon.

however if you buy from a non-authorized dealer.. Then it's up to them to do the warranty work.. Not Damon.. And of course they do not want to spend the money.

So your complaint is with "Joe's RV's" or whomever you bought from, not Damon who is only following the rules.

The reason many of us, myself included, are saying that we don't have any problems and in fact Damon has been fantastic is that I (And I assume the others) Purchased new from an authorized dealer.. Thus if I have a warranty problem (Well, HAD, since it's now out of warranty) or a Recall.. I can go to any authorized dealer and they will fix it, and if one of their customers is in the area I bought my rig and has an issue, they can go to my dealer and they will fix it.

But if you buy from someone who it not authorized, then that "I'll fix yours, you fix mine" is not included in the deal.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:59 AM   #22
doc

Appalachian Campers
Reckon these chips and deletes have anything to do with the condition of the engine now? At 3600 miles there was no complaints and it was perfect according to an earlier post.

From earlier post:
"Astoria is new 08 I have the 6.7 Isb Cummings motor just added aT&S power chip to the motor fuel mileage on my first trip in mountains was 11.0 per gal. AVERAGE SPEED 65 mph.
will be making a longer trip this week. Best I could get before was around 9 staying @ 55 mph.
With this new addition at 72mph i am only pulling 2000 rpm and the shift to high 6.6 gear is twice as fast as before.
Now the search is on for a DPF delete system that will really open up that 6.7 to it's potiential. This new coach has now got 1800 miles on it. I have a 6.7 in dodge ram with all the deletes in place getting 19 mpg and awsome pulling power"
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:55 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

The reason many of us, myself included, are saying that we don't have any problems and in fact Damon has been fantastic is that I (And I assume the others) Purchased new from an authorized dealer.. Thus if I have a warranty problem (Well, HAD, since it's now out of warranty) or a Recall.. I can go to any authorized dealer and they will fix it, and if one of their customers is in the area I bought my rig and has an issue, they can go to my dealer and they will fix it.
well said
My relationship with damon has been almost perfect and I am a stickler for detail, one water issue was not dealt exactly as i would have liked but it was FIXED and at no charge to me, with a Better way.

Tony at damon has been a stand up guy and makes good on his promises
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:09 AM   #24

Lightbulb Regarding Dealer

Be assured the Dealer I purchased this coach was and still is a Damon Dealer. This was just one of the lame responses when I contacted Damon I was given.

Yes the power chip really did make difference in performance. Power chips have no relation to equipment reliability unless you over do it. I own a number of Diesel Powered, trucks, and tractors units all w/chips and performance enhancements on them none have problems. The problems w/Cummmins is at manufacturing the Bosch injector pump leak is no surprise. Bosch pumps have had problems for a while availability was the issue. The cracked block was delivered from the factory with the defect.

Again my problem has and will remain with Damon and the, What do you want me to do about it attitude. Enough said first impressions are lasting my first impression and experience w/Damon aren't very good(SUCK). That's why there are other manufactures everyone has a choice . Mine will definetly not be a Damon.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:46 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
"Astoria is new 08 I have the 6.7 Isb Cummings motor just added aT&S power chip to the motor fuel mileage on my first trip in mountains was 11.0 per gal. AVERAGE SPEED 65 mph.
will be making a longer trip this week. Best I could get before was around 9 staying @ 55 mph.
With this new addition at 72mph i am only pulling 2000 rpm and the shift to high 6.6 gear is twice as fast as before.
He can chip it or even put on a blower, but it is up to the manufactuerer to prove that what he did to the engine caused the problem. The national lemon law(Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act ) says this in so many words.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:15 AM   #26

Actually in practice it works the other way round. Engine or drive train component fails, mfg claims is the modification that cause it, warranty denied. Now its up to you to prove in court the performance modification DID NOT cause the failure. Except in a few extream cases, this never happens and the manufacturers denial of warranty coverage stands. Happens every day. Suggest you visit some forums for the various performance cars. Nissan is among the worst but all the majors with high performace cars have similar policies depending on how far pushed.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:26 AM   #27

Well I can tell you this much I have been there done that unless it's so obvious that your mod caused the breakdown you win. And yes I have been to court w/ manufacture not only won also received compensation from the manufacture. My cost 1/3 of settlement period.
Chip for better performance not for shear power you should't have a problem. Better yet get rid of the tree huggers we would all be better off. My next step it to remove My DFT I would not hesitate to improve fuel mileage to 20+ MPG w/o pouring great amount of polution in the air. I have just not found the right wat as of yet. It's comming. Hydrogen , water, nitrous injection ??????????????????????????????
Old 07-08-2010, 03:12 PM   #28

Unfortunately his problems with the 6.7 from Cummins are fairly widespread and semi-common. The 6.7 should have never replaced the workhorse 5.9L, much like Ford/International should have never strayed away from the 7.3L with the new 6.4L (the last of the International Diesels for Ford) or the new Ford built 6.7L Scorpion diesel. These newer engines were being designed with the 2010 smog laws in mind starting back in early 2001. I am a member of many diesel forums and follow the day in and day out complaints about all the new passenger/light truck diesels. GM, Ford and Chevy are all fighting stuff on these new 'green' engines.