Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2010, 08:21 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Transfer Switch location

Anyone know where it is located in an '05 Daybreak 3270? I assume that is also the delay when you start the generator, is that correct?
Thanks
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2010, 08:46 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
yes there is a delay when you start up the genny

as for your transfer switch, i am not sure. Mine is in the rear power cord compartment right on the bulkhead
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
KIX

The delay in genset start up is in the genset itself. Transfer switches, to my knowledge, don't have a delay.
Follow your shore cable to a box that is most likely about 6" x 6" x 3"......could be plastic or metal. It will have two more cables terminating inside. One other one will be coming in from the genset adn the other will be going out to your circuit breaker panel.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:31 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
FWIW At least some Transfer Switches Do Have Time Delay PCBs. On my unit it is located within the TS Box. It also has an override switch located on the board.

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:42 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for tips guys, I have heard they can be problematic with age so I want to know where it is, if it does mess up. I have heard the delay is in the transfer switch and it can permanently delay if it malfunctions. I guess there is a way to bypass it in an emergency, but I need to know where it is. I'll look for it in the shore cord compartment tomorrow.

Flagelpater, what is a "TS Box" ?

On my old class c , where there was no transfer switch, you had to either plug into the generator or shore power, there was no delay. It had an Onan 4000 and my Daybreak has the Onan 5500
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:57 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
mine is located under my bed . there is a wood panel that un screws and the box is there
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:56 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The transfer switch should be near the shore power chord. Open the box and you should see a small circuit board. The bypass on mine is a very small switch on the circuit board.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:19 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
max49 The TS stands for Transfer Switch. The PCB Printed Circuit Board ( Time Delay Switch) on my unit is about 2.5 inches by 1.5 inches. There is a LED (Light Emitting Diode) on the board also. Sorry but not sure, I think the LED ON means the PCB is okay. Also, there is a DIP Switch, Don't know what DIP stands for, it is very small and you use something like the tip of a ball point pen to move it to OFF. When it is in the OFF position it is the same as if the PCB was not even in the circuit. The GenSet should pick up the load right away. That is why you need to allow the GenSet to warm up a bit before you put the load to it. Also, don't get confused by the additional time delay PCB's in the AirConditiong System. They wait about 3 minutes before the AC will turn On, starting from the point when the thermostat calls for it to turn On. Again, sorry for all of the abbreviations. We are all confused when we start out.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:01 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
On my old class c , where there was no transfer switch, you had to either plug into the generator or shore power, there was no delay. It had an Onan 4000 and my Daybreak has the Onan 5500
So weird, I had a 1973 class C without a generator. My 1986 Champion had a Generator and an automatic transfer switch. But on my 1996 Winnebago you had to plug into either shore power or the generator, like you described. On the old Champion, The generator itself would hardly run but once you got it to run the transfer switch worked perfectly. Both the Winnebago and the Champ had 4K Onan generators.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine is under the bed. It is also an integrated part of the battery charging system and the circuit breakers and power center for the whole rig. Access is gained by lifting the bed and unscrewing the fake wood panel on top just inside the front.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagelpater View Post
Don't know what DIP stands for, it is very small and you use something like the tip of a ball point pen to move it to OFF. .
FYI, DIP= dual in-line package...thus the row of dual position switches.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:59 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by expo View Post
FYI, DIP= dual in-line package...thus the row of dual position switches.
I would guess it could be a difference in size, DIP in electronics has more than one meaning. It could be switches as you said dual position inline switches or dual inline leads like most intergrated circuit(IC) packages.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:33 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
FWIW The little parts of the DIP that move with the tip of a pen act like switches, ON or OFF.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:58 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
Anyone know where it is located in an '05 Daybreak 3270? I assume that is also the delay when you start the generator, is that correct?
Thanks
First: Yes it is the dealy

Second: I found mine (2005 Intruder 377W) by thinking.. I visualized the generator's location, the power inlet's location (Where I plug in the shore power cord) and the breaker box

Well.. at the spot where it made absolute sense to bring the wires together there was a cabinet with a block off panel behind the door

I removed the panel

There it was

NOW: I realize that many times "Sense" and the layout of a motor home have very little to do with each other.. But that's how Damon did it on mine

So, Where is your gen-set , Your inlet, and your breaker panel?

And do you have any cabinets which are half blocked off, or a small cabinet where logically you should have a big one?