Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2010, 04:02 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Some of us have been discussing this article on another thread. GMAC Insurance who is now in partnership with FMCA wrote the article. I posted on the FMCA Forum my disbelief in the article.

Here is GMCA's response.

Greg Helm, GMAC’s director of claims, explains why GMAC advised driving with the propone off:

“I think folks may be interpreting this as a fear of a fire being caused because the propane is on while driving. What we’re really getting at is that if an accident occurs while driving with the propane on, there is an increased risk of fire as a result of the propane being on/open. There are certainly safety procedures built into the RV, but they are not fail-safe.

“In the end, this is a personal choice that a customer has to make — the risk is small, but the results can be significant. Organizations focused on safety will side toward keeping the propane off almost universally.

“Having said that, if someone chooses to drive with the propane on and something happens, we still have coverage for that loss (provided all other policy conditions/coverages are in order).

“Our position is focused on safety, but we also understand the RV lifestyle and that there is a convenience aspect with this that a customer may weigh more heavily. We handle covered losses the same, whether the system was on propane or not. We do not use this as a reason to decline claims.”
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2010, 06:47 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
My response to Mr. Helm is "Meadow Muffins".

If you happen to have a propane or CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) powered vehicle how would he propose operating it if you have to have the tank shut off. Same goes for operating a propane powered generator.

It is scare tactics from a bunch of lawyers in my opinion.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Meadow muffins???? Its been awhile since I heard that but I still remember what it means.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #18

All very good stuff. We also drive with the fridge on propane. Please be advised though, that at least in New York, you may need to turn off the propane when traveling through the Holland, Lincoln and Midtown tunnels, they have propane issues in the tunnels.

Bill
Old 06-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #19

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
When I saw the FMCA article, I called Damon and also asked the service manager at Lazy Days. Both had the same answer:

1. Travel on propane.
OR....
2. Set for invert and use AC electric...
Works either way
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote