Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
Travel with refrigerator with propane off?

For years, with travel trailers, fifth wheel and now our Damon Astoria 3786 I have traveled with the refrigerator turned to gas.

I read in the FMCA Mag (May 2010 Pg 36-27) that we are not to drive with the refrigerator running on propane.

How do you travel? With your refrig on propane or your generator running?
SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2010, 01:26 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
We sometimes travel w/refrigerator and even LP furnace runnning on LP. Other times we might run the refrigerator on a/c power from the inverter or the generator. I've driven many LP powered vehicles, and am no more afraid of LP than I am of gasoline.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:19 PM   #3

FMCA lets too many outside entities contribute articles with alterior motives.

Running your fridge on propane while traveling is no more dangerous than the gasoline fuel for the main engine or the generator. It is properly designed to do exactly what you have been doing.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:28 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
As I thought. Thanks.

Steve of Gilroy
SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:53 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine is always on while traveling,,, That's what they were made to do!

Regards,
RovinOn
05 Southwind 37C
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:57 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Gas Referigerator Operation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveOGilroy View Post
For years, with travel trailers, fifth wheel and now our Damon Astoria 3786 I have traveled with the refrigerator turned to gas.

I read in the FMCA Mag (May 2010 Pg 36-27) that we are not to drive with the refrigerator running on propane.

Our Tuscany, and previously a 5'er, and slide-in operated on propane all the time when on the road. I had someone tell me the same scare story several years ago, but common sense says (in case of the 5'er and slide-in which did not have a genny) that the design was to operate when traveling. I did have some problems in the wind this trip but overall it is working like it should, and I should add very safely.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:15 PM   #7

Run it on propane! There have been a few fires caused by a propane fridge but many can be attributed to a faulty fridge that is currently under recall. The propane is not the problem but rather a faulty design by the manufacturer.
Our current coach is all electric but our last coach was propane and we always had it on propane for it's 36,000 mile life with us. You DO want to service the burner and I did this about twice per year, but otherwise there is simply nothing to be done. Some will say you should turn it off as keep the door closed but a propane fridge takes a long time to cool down and once you have it cool you really don't want to do anything to interrupt that or you will be waiting for the cool to come back for quite some time.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:25 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I always ran ours on propane while traveling until this year. I had a 2000 watt inverter installed in January and now the fridge runs on A/C while driving.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:27 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
FMCA lets too many outside entities contribute articles with alterior motives.

Running your fridge on propane while traveling is no more dangerous than the gasoline fuel for the main engine or the generator. It is properly designed to do exactly what you have been doing.
egggszactly

we run the fridge on propane whilst driving.

dare i say even while ...............................

at the truck stop
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:15 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
This is one of the worlds greatest debates on RVing...right up there with what can I tow. I am a firm believer in beer cold and ice cream frozen when I arrive at the end of the day.

The "never travel with it on" crowd says you will BLOW UP half the country doing this, but they can never cite a case where the propane tank blew up . The frig on a few has burned, but it was a known recall problem,

The tanks are either UL approved or ASME stamped, have excess-flow valves in case of a line rupture and are far safer than the typical sheet metal or plastic tank full of gasoline.

The frigs are designed for mobile operation.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:22 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveOGilroy View Post

We travel with the refrigerator set to Auto and leave the propane on. When driving we generally run the inverter and that keeps the refrigerator cold. And we run the generator when it gets hot. But we still leave the propane on to kick in when we don't run anything for electric.
The Woodieboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:38 PM   #12

I have RVed since 1972 and fulltimed over ten years. The fridge has always operated on LP when traveling.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:37 PM   #13

Always with the propane on, seems to me that is why they made one to run on propane and not just AC. John H...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:49 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Invert and AC

Say I
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote