Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2019, 08:19 AM   #1
gts

Traveling Across Country

Hi this is Tony in SoCal, the outlaw has been good so i have no questions until now i know you will have the answers or can re-direct me so here we go

1-im planning a trip from home to NC pick up pop then drive back I always have my side arm, but still would like to know the safest, easiest roads, best places to camp. Im planning on taking the 40 I will watch the weather
2-About how many miles should i expect per tank after 500-550 i usually fill up
3-i need tires should i go with the original michelin's or something as good but not as expensive
4-It also needs shocks and an alignment any brand that you would recommend
thanks for the advice
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2019, 08:52 AM   #2

Outlaw?
1, Dont take it
2, What motor? What weight?
3, what fits your budget. I like Yokahamas
4, Again what chassis?
Old 03-18-2019, 08:56 AM   #3

I40 is the best route
500 miles is max for me, fill up and park for the evening
People post good luck with Japanese tires, cheaper than Michelins
Koni is the best and most expensive, Bilstein are ok, no experience with Monroe on a MH
Happy Trails
In Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:21 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
1. Not all States allow carry license from another State
2. I never allow my fuel to get below a half of a tank, for two reasons.
(1) Fuel pump uses fuel for keeping the pump cool. So the more it is submerged, the better.
(2) The generator will not run with the fuel tank below 1/4 tank. Never know if you may need to use for a extended period of time.
3. Personally, I would never buy another Michelin tire in my life!!! But, that is my opinion, others may have better success. I bought some with 2014 with 2014 Dot dates and the tires started showing signs of bad sidewall cracking in 2018. I have replaced the fronts already, working on the rears this month. Did not want to trust their info about checking depth and length of cracks on my front tires. Front tire blow out are not very forgiving. There are many good tires out there, I bought some Gladiators on the front, and so far have no large complaints, but have only put about 500 miles on the tires so far. I loved the ride of Michelin tires. They are a softer rubber, but that softer rubber is the down fall to all the sidewall cracking.
4. Can't help you on shocks, like other have said, Koni or Bilstein. Price?

Safe travels!
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:27 PM   #5

Just drove from Vegas to Knoxville, Tn last Aug/Sep. Made Winslow the first day after work, camped in a WM parking lot. Tried to make OKC the next day but came up a short. We got lost in Amarillo looking for the Big Texan Steakhouse (recommend stopping). Made it to Shamrock, Tx stayed at Lonestar RV park, $20 for the night (pay cash at the restaurant). We just needed a place to sleep, wanted the hookups so we could run the AC and get a good sleep. Made OKC the next day, stop by the bombing memorial if you have time. Would not recommend driving an rv thru downtown OKC during a weekday. Got to Memphis, stayed at the Graceland RV park a few nights. RV park is adjacent to the Graceland parking lot. Arrived Knoxville the following day for Wing Ding. Came back the southern route thru Huntsville, Schreveport, past Dallas, to Carlsbad Caverns. I filled up at Costco whenever possible, was usually 10-20 cents per gal cheaper than any stations in the area. Worst part of the trip was a chipped windshield on the Natchez Trace Hwy.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:35 AM   #6

Hi Tony, fellow Outlaw owner here. I had Koni shocks installed last summer and I like them a lot.

I replaced all 6 of the OEM Michelins 3 years ago with Toyo tires, and they have been great.

I don't understand 450Donn's flippant comment about "don't take your Outlaw" across the country. Not a very constructive post without any follow-up. I just rolled my odometer to 50,000 miles and it has been a great coach. Took it all over the western U.S. last summer, and the only problems I had were self-inflicted

One thing I have learned is that many small towns, especially in the midwest, have small city parks where rv's are allowed to stop for the night. But prolly more common in towns along highways, not so much along interstates.

Have a great trip!
Old 03-22-2019, 05:44 AM   #7

I think he was talking about taking a sidearm. This is always a touchy subject so carrier beware. 40 some years traveling in a motor home never had a problem but being a retired State Trooper you figure it out.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:28 AM   #8
gts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Outlaw?
1, Dont take it
2, What motor? What weight?
3, what fits your budget. I like Yokahamas
4, Again what chassis?
why shouldn't I take the outlaw
ford motor