Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2010, 09:47 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Cool Traveling - Any Tips on These places?

Well, I thought I was retiring, but the Army is keeping me for a while longer. (yes, sad but true and not your problem.) :-))

So, here's the question. Looks like I'll be traveling on extended TDY through Ft. Bragg (Fayetteville, NC), Little Creek, VA (Virginia Beach), Hunter AAF (Savannah), Brooke Army Medical Center (San Antonio, TX), parts of the West Coast (San Diego and Madigan Army Hospital in Seattle), then south again through NE, Kansas, Florida Pan Handle (Hurlburt AFB), then end (thank good ness) at the Command at MacDill AFB, Tampa, FL. All this over a 6-10 month period.

Does anyone have any insights or recommendations on some out-of-the-way, (need I say inexpensive?) locations where I can park and blend into the back ground during the various stops?

I'd appreciate all input and ideas.

Mack
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2010, 10:29 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Florida Panhandle is like 2nd home!

I love Pensacola!! Ft. Pickens State Park is wonderful. Turn onto CR 399 (which takes you to Pensacola Beach) from Gulf Breeze Parkway (Hwy 98). When you come upon a light at Via de Luna and Ft. Pickens Rd., take Ft. Pickens Rd all the way down to the state park. It is on the beach! Fantastic place. Of course if there is too much wind and tide, the road can get some water according to a friend. We have not had to deal with that yet. Ft Walton Beach and Destin are an hour away. New Orleans is about 3-3 1/2 hours or so away. There are also nice state parks in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach, AL.
Sailshak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:33 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I also think the NAS Pensacola has its own beach area as well! Check out Seville Quarter as well. Pensacola has a lot to offer. I also have a few friends who live there. For Pensacola beach on the GPS, use 2 Via De Luna, Pensacola Beach (may have to use Gulf Breeze if your GPS doesn't find it right away). That is the Hampton Inn on P'cola Beach. Between myself and some friends, we can get you across Louisiana around I-10/I-12.

Good Luck!
Scott
"Hurricane Haven"
1999 Pace Arrow 37 S
Madisonville, LA.
Sailshak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:33 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
active duty on base you get great rates and many can be waived if there tdy,

or the tdy will cover the fees, plus you dont have to move every week or so
active duty on most bases is a NO move while your there deal

pcola has three great campgrounds two of which are navy and one is a state park, (big lagoon)
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:37 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Thanks guys, great input. Travel starts next week so I'll update as I move through those areas. Someone also suggested the "renovated" RV sites at Hunter Army Airfield near Savannah. May try that one on the way if I have enough travel days...darn SGM is already wondering why I'm not on the road!
Old 03-18-2010, 07:53 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
WayneM will hopefully see this and give you some good advice. He's been there, done that so to speak.