Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2007, 05:54 AM   #1

Now I don't want to ignite a fierce debate here, but I recently test drove a Tuscany 4055 with the Caterpillar powertrain. We liked it alot! I had never driven a diesel before. It seemed noisier than I thought a rear engine should be. (Exhaust brake was on.) Then the other day the salesman called and said they got in a Tuscany 4076, which is the floorplan we're interested in. We went to drive that and it was an'08 with the Cummins engine. It did not seem as loud. I took this one out onto the highway and opened her up. I was up to 80 before I knew it! You didn't even get the feeling of "high revving" while the pedal was to the floor.

Now I know this isn't a fair comparison because I didn't get above 30 in the Cat. It's probably a moot point anyway, because by the time I'm ready to buy, the 2008's will be in.

Just my 2 cents...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2007, 05:54 AM   #2

Now I don't want to ignite a fierce debate here, but I recently test drove a Tuscany 4055 with the Caterpillar powertrain. We liked it alot! I had never driven a diesel before. It seemed noisier than I thought a rear engine should be. (Exhaust brake was on.) Then the other day the salesman called and said they got in a Tuscany 4076, which is the floorplan we're interested in. We went to drive that and it was an'08 with the Cummins engine. It did not seem as loud. I took this one out onto the highway and opened her up. I was up to 80 before I knew it! You didn't even get the feeling of "high revving" while the pedal was to the floor.

Now I know this isn't a fair comparison because I didn't get above 30 in the Cat. It's probably a moot point anyway, because by the time I'm ready to buy, the 2008's will be in.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 09-08-2007, 01:27 PM   #3

My understanding is that Caterpillar significantly raised the prices on the new reduced-sulfur engines and Cummins did not as much. Many RV manufactures went with Cummins due to the price increase. The new Cummins engines are a bit quieter, have more emission controls and have less torque than the regular Caterpillar diesel engines.

Most bus and truck drivers I have talked to like the Caterpillar because it has more power. This scenario is similar to the leaded vs unleaded gas change a few years ago. More equipment was added onto the gas engines to reduce emissions.

I am running with a Cat diesel and did not change to the Cummins since it changed just when I was buying mine 2007 vs 2008 models.

I guess if you want more torque or less emissions would be the difference.
skippy the rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:41 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
They are both good engines and will last much longer than the coach will.

The Cat is is not that loud in our 4055 adn we've put almost 4500 miles on it since May 25th when we got it. But the Exhaust Brakes does add a lot of noise when it is in use.

As usual, the floor plan will drive the decision. What they have under it as long as it has a good warranty is not as important...
The Woodieboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:18 PM   #5

Before we bought our Tuscany 4072, we looked at the 2007 which had the Cat 350 engine. I went and looked it up on the Cat website because I was interested in the Torque more than the Horsepower. The Torque for that engine was around 860 lbs. I think. I then looked up the Cummins 360 and found that it developed 1050 lbs of Torque. Since I'm a Cummins fan, no contest and now I own a 2008 Tuscany 4072.
optomyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:29 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skippy the rat:
My understanding is that Caterpillar significantly raised the prices on the new reduced-sulfur engines and Cummins did not as much. Many RV manufactures went with Cummins due to the price increase. The new Cummins engines are a bit quieter, have more emission controls and have less torque than the regular Caterpillar diesel engines.

Most bus and truck drivers I have talked to like the Caterpillar because it has more power. This scenario is similar to the leaded vs unleaded gas change a few years ago. More equipment was added onto the gas engines to reduce emissions.

I am running with a Cat diesel and did not change to the Cummins since it changed just when I was buying mine 2007 vs 2008 models.

I guess if you want more torque or less emissions would be the difference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yup the cat at 860 lbs of torque sure puts cummins to shame at 1050 lbs.
jmon129 is offline   Reply With Quote