Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2014, 12:09 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SteveOGilroy
Roy and Sandy,

MCD is a roller blind used in many of the higher end M/Hs. Here is their web site:

MCD Innovations

Nina and Paul from Wheelingit have a great review of their install at:
Easy RV Mod -> Install MCD Shades | Wheeling It

The blind is a two roller set, one for day and one for night. A little pricey but I've heard mostly good reviews. Our pleated blinds are falling apart after just 5 years.

Steve
SteveOGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just wanted to add our name to the Tuscany pot. Bought a new to us 06 and our first trip out got stuck up on the jacks and no toad. Since this was our first mh it wasn't a good thing. Second trip the front air valve started leaking bad. Did you know there is a scenic overlook in southwest OK? Since then it's been very good and we have enjoyed it. We use it for dog shows or short getaways.
We haven't done much on mods other than interior decor. We did recently have a custom Magneshade made for it. Seems to make a difference but we haven't hit the hot months yet though some pretty warm days here in Texas I could tell a difference. We liked being able to see out. Some other mods on the list such as the MCD s, vent covers and something else covering those front inside entrance steps that don't work. Don't care for the rubber. Probably other stuff I can't think of right now but we plan to keep it a good while and just make improvements.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckSavage View Post
Joerpilot.....can you elaborate? Where was the hose not connected? On the vent or at the heater? I have the same problem.....It's cold in the bathroom!!!!
Sorry to take so long to respond. They just did not hook the bathroom heater hose to the outlet. They did the same with the central vac hose which is also in the bathroom. The dealer is going to have to pull the fireplace on the other side of the wall to get to it. Otherwise i would hook them up myself. We love this motorhome.
Joerpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:09 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joerpilot View Post
Sorry to take so long to respond. They just did not hook the bathroom heater hose to the outlet. They did the same with the central vac hose which is also in the bathroom. The dealer is going to have to pull the fireplace on the other side of the wall to get to it. Otherwise i would hook them up myself. We love this motorhome.
Okay, I dug into mine & found that the didn't connect the hose to the register (outlet) Not alot of air comes thru, but it's something. I may dig deeper to see if I can eliminate any kinks or sharp bends that may be present. Glad to hear you're loving it!
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #19

We have looked at a number of 2014 Tuscany 40RX at dealers and have things we would like to change - mostly exterior and interior colors - not extras. We would like to purchase in the spring or before. How much of a problem was it to order the unit and did the unit end up costing substantially more just because it was a "special" order. Where did you order from - a dealer or other?
Thanks for your help and comments.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveOGilroy View Post
Roy and Sandy,

MCD is a roller blind used in many of the higher end M/Hs. Here is their web site:

MCD Innovations

Nina and Paul from Wheelingit have a great review of their install at:
Easy RV Mod -> Install MCD Shades | Wheeling It

The blind is a two roller set, one for day and one for night. A little pricey but I've heard mostly good reviews. Our pleated blinds are falling apart after just 5 years.

Steve
Steve:

Thanks for the MCD tip. We have seen them and had a demonstration on a neighbor RV'ers rig at the French Quarter RV park in New Orleans but did not recognize the name. We like the MCD blind and are considering ordering. Our pleated blinds are not so much falling apart, but are a pain to open and close. Sandy spends forever straightening them. I watched Wheelingit's blog and think we could install the MCD's ourselves.

Thanks again for the tip and hope you enjoy your Michelin tires.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:40 PM   #21

looking at signing the deal on a Tuscany

So we found the perfect upgrade for our family... 2010 Damon Tuscany 42rq ... we love everything about it.

However, there were some less than positive things said about the Damon product especially the interior. Based on what we have been able to ascertain, this was mostly prior to the Thor merger.

Anyone have any comments on the reliability of the interior quality of the Damon Tuscany products? We are ready to buy... but want to weed out as many fears as possible prior to making this major step.

Thanks
ronyrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:11 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyrhythm View Post
So we found the perfect upgrade for our family... 2010 Damon Tuscany 42rq ... we love everything about it.

However, there were some less than positive things said about the Damon product especially the interior. Based on what we have been able to ascertain, this was mostly prior to the Thor merger.

Anyone have any comments on the reliability of the interior quality of the Damon Tuscany products? We are ready to buy... but want to weed out as many fears as possible prior to making this major step.

Thanks
I am one of the major critics of Damon/Thor. While we enjoy our rig, the fact that we never come home from a trip with out at least four or more items that have failed and need repair is a real bummer indicator of the lack of quality in construction by the Damon/Thor company. We have friends with like priced units from other manufacturers that have not, and do not experience the same failure rates.

We are at 64.5 kmiles and have found the Freightliner Chassis and Cummins/Allison drive train to be absolutely superior and have only experienced one recall to the engine which was quickly handled.

However, the "box-on-top" of the chassis is a whole different story. I will not laundry list the issues for you, but if you search for my handle on this forum you can see most of the issues we have faced from day one. Now, in addition to every thing else we are watching the faux veneer begin to bubble and peal from the wood work around the slide-outs and my very reliable repair center guys have told me it cannot be repaired and would need to be replaced, but of course it is not readily available at Damon and would have to be special/custom made.

As I have stated before we have replaced almost the entire water distribution system due to repeated ruptures of low quality fittings, have had two ruptured leveling system hydraulic lines which have saturated the entire front compartment with hydraulic fluid which of course leaves a mess forever, nearly all window shade tension string anchors have pulled out of the sheet-rock and have had to be retrofitted, both side sunscreens have broken and needed repair. We have at least one electrical or electrical switch failure every trip. The cargo department door latches have all failed at one time or another and have been refitted to stop leakage from rain and road spray. The front cargo compartments leaked miserably from road spray on our first trip out and we had to fabricate and install wheel well shields to prevent the leaks. Electric step mechanical actuators have broken and been replaced twice. Refrigerator controls have been replaced twice through OEM recall. The rear video cam has now failed for the second time, just last week we noticed that the slide-outs are beginning to operate very roughly which we suspect is due to the same inferior construction that Powerboatr found and posted his repair methodology a couple of years ago, and now we note that all awnings are fraying badly on the leading edges. And last but not least the on-going upholstery problems that Damon has refused to correct and foisted their junk on the consumer

We have now resigned ourselves that we must budget for $400-500 per trip for repairs to the Damon/THor "box-on-top" and as we venture homeward each trip we humor ourselves by humming the tune of "the Rambling Wreck from Georgia Tech".

Good luck on your Tuscany purchase but if it were me I would be looking elsewhere. My bet is Damon has not changed their stripes nor their "buyer beware" approach to business.

PS: If you want to get a good sense of Damon quality just take a quick peek at the shabby wiring systems under the dash and imagine having to troubleshoot that rats nest at a later date.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:27 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyeduffer View Post
I am one of the major critics of Damon/Thor. While we enjoy our rig, the fact that we never come home from a trip with out at least four or more items that have failed and need repair is a real bummer indicator of the lack of quality in construction by the Damon/Thor company. We have friends with like priced units from other manufacturers that have not, and do not experience the same failure rates.

We are at 64.5 kmiles and have found the Freightliner Chassis and Cummins/Allison drive train to be absolutely superior and have only experienced one recall to the engine which was quickly handled.

However, the "box-on-top" of the chassis is a whole different story. I will not laundry list the issues for you, but if you search for my handle on this forum you can see most of the issues we have faced from day one. Now, in addition to every thing else we are watching the faux veneer begin to bubble and peal from the wood work around the slide-outs and my very reliable repair center guys have told me it cannot be repaired and would need to be replaced, but of course it is not readily available at Damon and would have to be special/custom made.

As I have stated before we have replaced almost the entire water distribution system due to repeated ruptures of low quality fittings, have had two ruptured leveling system hydraulic lines which have saturated the entire front compartment with hydraulic fluid which of course leaves a mess forever, nearly all window shade tension string anchors have pulled out of the sheet-rock and have had to be retrofitted, both side sunscreens have broken and needed repair. We have at least one electrical or electrical switch failure every trip. The cargo department door latches have all failed at one time or another and have been refitted to stop leakage from rain and road spray. The front cargo compartments leaked miserably from road spray on our first trip out and we had to fabricate and install wheel well shields to prevent the leaks. Electric step mechanical actuators have broken and been replaced twice. Refrigerator controls have been replaced twice through OEM recall. The rear video cam has now failed for the second time, just last week we noticed that the slide-outs are beginning to operate very roughly which we suspect is due to the same inferior construction that Powerboatr found and posted his repair methodology a couple of years ago, and now we note that all awnings are fraying badly on the leading edges. And last but not least the on-going upholstery problems that Damon has refused to correct and foisted their junk on the consumer

We have now resigned ourselves that we must budget for $400-500 per trip for repairs to the Damon/THor "box-on-top" and as we venture homeward each trip we humor ourselves by humming the tune of "the Rambling Wreck from Georgia Tech".

Good luck on your Tuscany purchase but if it were me I would be looking elsewhere. My bet is Damon has not changed their stripes nor their "buyer beware" approach to business.

PS: If you want to get a good sense of Damon quality just take a quick peek at the shabby wiring systems under the dash and imagine having to troubleshoot that rats nest at a later date.

Its not just you
we just returned from a short 1800 plus mile trip through parts of texas...trying to escape the cold...didnt work
even in la feria we froze
I to have a list of five to six items to be fixed after this trip
screws fell out or broke on the entry door hold back arm support
pass front tire started wearing ODD on the onside edge
i bumped the psi up 10 lbs it seemed to smooth out the wear
bearings are tight and no wobble with weight off the tire...but the wear looks like what is caused by loose wheel bearing

biggest PLUS is the samsung...we had frozen ice cream and lots of ice this trip
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:11 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
The odd wear on the tires is likely "rivering" which is the nature
of Goodyear G670's. I have an 08 Tuscany 4076 and have not
had all these problems noted. And having talked to a lot of other
coach owners with every brand know to man, I believe that I have
had no more issues than they have had on their coaches.
You do have to be very handy, and a good DIY person to avoid
repeated trips to get the little stuff fixed, and often I have found
the professional repair operators to be not always to be well
trained and experienced. The chassis is great, as long as you
have it maintained professionally. I do agree that Damon/Thors
quality control process is pretty lousy. But after 56K, I have
no regrets.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:54 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i should add my friend across the street has a tiffin phaeton
its not just tuscany or thor, they have stupid stuff break all the time as well

its just the nature of the beast
upkeep is key to keeping them good
I will second the chassis and drive train have never left me in a pickle
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:53 PM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Lets have a meeting in Myrtle Beach at the rally........
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:52 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
The odd wear on the tires is likely "rivering" which is the nature
of Goodyear G670's. I have an 08 Tuscany 4076 and have not
had all these problems noted. And having talked to a lot of other
coach owners with every brand know to man, I believe that I have
had no more issues than they have had on their coaches.
You do have to be very handy, and a good DIY person to avoid
repeated trips to get the little stuff fixed, and often I have found
the professional repair operators to be not always to be well
trained and experienced. The chassis is great, as long as you
have it maintained professionally. I do agree that Damon/Thors
quality control process is pretty lousy. But after 56K, I have
no regrets.
Can you explain Rivery further? Thanks
rufusfruge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:03 AM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Quote: