Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2010, 10:15 AM   #1

Two probably stupid questions.

I have a new to me 96 Ultrasport 3010 Chevrolet gasser and my first question is this, is the truck alternator supposed to charge the house batteries, or does that happen only thru the genset and shore power?

Second, just what does the battery disconnect switch do other than kill power to the dash radio?

Thanks in advance
Kent
Old Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rocker View Post
I have a new to me 96 Ultrasport 3010 Chevrolet gasser and my first question is this, is the truck alternator supposed to charge the house batteries, or does that happen only thru the genset and shore power?

Second, just what does the battery disconnect switch do other than kill power to the dash radio?

Thanks in advance
Kent
The alternator should charge all the batteries while the engine is running.
The battery disconnect switch should completely isolate the batteries from the coach, keeping parasitic draws from draining them during storage.

Terry
tmh462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:51 PM   #3

Shucks

Thanks Terry, that is what I thought was supposed to happen. Means I must have a problem because the alternator is not charging the house batteries.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:57 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rocker View Post
Thanks Terry, that is what I thought was supposed to happen. Means I must have a problem because the alternator is not charging the house batteries.

Are the house batteries chargeable or dead? Are there any other problems? Let us know what you found out.

My unit is an 07 which I purchased new. the house batteries used to run dry several times a year from over charging. Then I installed a Intellipower charge wizard, like this: , and that ended the problem.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #5

Mine's a little older, but I don't think that the alternator charges the house batteries unless I merge them with the coach battery???
Old 11-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1BUD View Post
Are the house batteries chargeable or dead? Are there any other problems? Let us know what you found out.

My unit is an 07 which I purchased new. the house batteries used to run dry several times a year from over charging. Then I installed a Intellipower charge wizard, like this: , and that ended the problem.

KC1BUD,

I put in a new charger/converter with charge wizard this year along with 2 new 6-volt golf cart batteries. I'm very happy with the performance, but I'm still trying to get a good answer and understand what the flashing/solid lights mean when no charge is being applied and the system is being used/discharging. It seems like it's in reverse?? From a slow flash to a faster flash to solid as the batteries get weaker?? Is that how your's works?

Thanks,

Ken
Old 11-13-2010, 06:21 AM   #7

I havent had a chance to look at it recently, but I am not getting a charge from the chassis alternator. They do charge from shore or gen power. The batteries seem to be good.

My old Winnie had a solenoid inline controled by a dash switch to connect the coach batteries to the alternator and another one to connect to the starter for emergency start. I am going to look for something like that on the Damon.

The battery disconnect switch seems to do very little. All 12v to the coach stays on (lights, etc) and in the disconnect position, the dash radio works. In the on position it kills it. I am thinking that is kinda weird. I may have some wiring problems also but it all looks original to my eye.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:07 AM   #8
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
My two cents. I'm told that an easy way to check if your coach is charging your house batteries is to disconnect your house batteries, start your coach and use a volt meter to check to see if an charging current is coming at your pos and neg leads. If not, that's your answer. Then it comes down to diagnosis. It may be a problem isolator. I've had the same problem and need to do this myself.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:02 AM   #9

An easier way would be to leave the batteries the way they are and put a volt meter on the house batteries while the engine is running. If voltage is above 13, they are charging.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:25 AM   #10

Looks like I need to find my old voltmeter.
Thanks to all!
Old 11-14-2010, 08:18 AM   #11
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Ya you are right. I was thinking of my own situation where I'm plugged into shore power and didn't want to have a conflict with the trickle charger component while checking voltage. Forgot to mention that. LOL
Old 11-20-2010, 10:16 AM   #12

The latest

This seems to be getting stranger in my mind or I am losing it (my mind that is)

Left the coach unplugged last week, and went to winterize both today. Took my trusty dvom and measured voltages of all the batteries before doing anything. The Winnies were at 12v both coach and truck. The Damons were 12v at the truck and 9v in the coach batteries. Plugged into shore power and coach batteries stayed at 9v. The 110 circuit came on and functioned normally. Could not start the genset because, and I am assuming, the batteries were too low.

Unplugged shore, fired up the coach, 13.6 at the truck battery, 9v at the house batteries. I am thinking that the truck and the converter are not charging the house batteries now.

I did play with the battery disconnect switch and did hear a relay ticking in the house battery area, but cannot find it. All lights stay on, no matter what the position the switch is in, but the dash radio works in the off position only.
That is the strange part for me. I would have thought the radio would work off the truck battery with the ignition in the on or acc positions, but no such luck...

BTW I cleaned all terminals on the house battery and am now charging them with an external trickle charger....

Any ideas? Take it to a pro?

Thanks
Kent
Old 11-21-2010, 08:39 AM   #13
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
My 2000 Winnabego Adventurer has a House/Truck Toggle switch for the radio on the dash. The radio won't work when the vehicle is started and in "House" position. When I switch the Radio to "Truck" the radio works. Same in reverse. This might explain the radio. As to the take it to a pro question, I'm new at this game and I'd rather pay someone than be stressed out trying to figure it out. These things are way more complex than my knowledge of mechanics.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:45 AM   #14

All your batteries were dead. 12v is a dead battery 9v very dead. When you start your engine and measure 13.6 at engine battery, that is simply the charge that the battery is receiving. Most coaches will have a delay before connecting the battery banks and if the engine battery is dead as you specified by your volt readings, it will be a longer delay before you see higher voltage on your house batteries. If you solenoid is toast you will not see any increase in voltage to the house batteries.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote