RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2010, 03:35 PM   #15

The adjusters are those threaded shafts that are perpendicular to each other, but I think the shaft is what turns, or at least has to be held with a wrench (they're flatted on two sides so a small open end wrench can turn/hold them). It's been a while since I fiddled with mine and I can't remember exactly how they worked. Sure made a big dif tho, and nice to NOT spend a coupla hundred $ and still find out they were aimed wrong to begin with.

I rode in Gshores on Mon, Tue and Wed but it only got up into the 40's, then on Thur it got up to 62 so Janet got her's out of the trailer and rode, too. I'd left the HippoHands on mine, and was kind of glad I did, even though I didn't imagine using them in AL.

Good luck on the lights!
Scott
Scottwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2010, 04:34 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
If you can, call tech service and ask them what the lights are from. I called Winnebago tech and they told me mine were from a 98 Pontiac. Makes it much easier if you need a replacement or want to order better bulbs. I put in upgraded Silverstones ?, adjusted the aim on the headlights and fixed the problem. I adjusted the aim using my garage doors. I used my pickup lights to put some marks on my garage doors to set the focule point, adjusted for height and width to the motorhome lights and adjusted away. Came out great.
Sounds like some really good advise, I'll do that. Thanks!
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:36 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Scott. I'll post here when I figure it out.

We're heading to Key West next Christmas. If it's cold down there then the world is coming to and end.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:43 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
My Outlaw also has an issue with the headlight aiming. I've got the bottom adjuster all the way in and the upper one all the way out and still my headlights are shining about half the distance as yours. People don't even flash their lights at me with my high beams on which is most of the time.

I have a set of PIAA 910 pencil beam lamps off my other bike that I'm thinking about installing.

Maybe someone here can enlighten up as to the secret of proper headlight adjustment. As I see it there are only two adjusting studs on the headlight mounting frame to accomplish this.
if upper is out all the way and lower is in all they way the headkights are point down as far as they will go you need to raise them up
gasser 38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:09 AM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser 38 View Post
if upper is out all the way and lower is in all they way the headkights are point down as far as they will go you need to raise them up
Thanks for the post.

That seems opposite of what I see happening. The studs are attached to the nose. They go through holes in a metal frame that the headlight is mounted inside of.

Pulling the bottom of this headlight mounting frame close to the nose (nuts all the way in) and pushing the top of this frame away from the nose (nuts all the way out) tilts the metal frame back and pointing towards the sky and presumably Up.

What am I missing?
Old 01-27-2010, 07:04 AM   #20

Quote:
Thanks for the post.

What am I missing?
If the adjusters move just the reflector within the housing then it works opposite the conventional wisdom. I don't remember which way it works, I just nosed mine up to the garage door and starting moving one way to see which way the beam moved on the door and adjusted accordingly.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:47 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottwig View Post
If the adjusters move just the reflector within the housing then it works opposite the conventional wisdom.
The entire headlight assembly is mounted in a custom made frame as far as I can tell. The only adjusting points I can see adjust this frame and move the entire headlight assembly up and down as I noted as well as to the left and right by adjusting the upper and lower either in or out simultaneously.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:20 AM   #22

Don, it sounds like you're trying to move the entire headlight assembly. Mine may be different since it's an '06 but the adjuster I'm talking about is a threaded stem the protrudes from the back of the light assembly Horizontally from nose to tail), is about 3 inches long. It moves something internally to change the aim of the lamp. It sounds like you're trying move the whole housing, ( which may be the only way on yours, I don't know..). Mine has some rusty nuts that hold the whole assembly in some slotted mounting bracket but I don't think they're intended for aiming the lamp but merely aligning the assembly in the hole for appearance's sake. The long threaded shaft is about 3/16" or 1/4" in dia. and is flatted so that it can be held or turned with a small open end wrench, like 3/16" or 5/32". There's also a shorter adjuster shaft that is mounted horizontally, protudes toward the side and is shorter, that I presume is for lateral adjustments.
If I can get a picture of it I'll try and put it up.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:51 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
The entire headlight assembly is mounted in a custom made frame as far as I can tell. The only adjusting points I can see adjust this frame and move the entire headlight assembly up and down as I noted as well as to the left and right by adjusting the upper and lower either in or out simultaneously.
yours should be the same as my challenger there should be 3 screws at the headlight tighten top loosen bottom, light moves up mine is covered so i cant send a pic.
gasser 38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:35 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottwig View Post
the adjuster I'm talking about is a threaded stem the protrudes from the back of the light assembly Horizontally from nose to tail), is about 3 inches long. It moves something internally to change the aim of the lamp.

Mine has some rusty nuts that hold the whole assembly in some slotted mounting bracket but I don't think they're intended for aiming the lamp but merely aligning the assembly in the hole for appearance's sake.

The long threaded shaft is about 3/16" or 1/4" in dia. and is flatted so that it can be held or turned with a small open end wrench, like 3/16" or 5/32". There's also a shorter adjuster shaft that is mounted horizontally, protudes toward the side and is shorter, that I presume is for lateral adjustments.
If I can get a picture of it I'll try and put it up.
Now I think we're getting somewhere. The studs with the rusty nuts is what I have assumed were the adjusters. Now that I question that thanks to the advise here I'll try looking harder for what you describe.

Thanks for using the term "rusty nuts" that made it clear that I was adjusting the wrong stud. Now the real issue is that if I need access to the back of the headlamp I may be in trouble since the driver side looks to be completely covered by a host of electrical items
Old 01-27-2010, 10:02 PM   #25

Here's a couple of pics (if I can figure out how to load 'em) of the back of my headlights. The orientation of the adjusters is different between both lights but one of the stems adjusts the vertical and one the horizontal. One stem is threaded with flat sides and the short one is a hexagonal shaft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2350.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	2518   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2351.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	2519  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2349.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	2520  
Old 01-28-2010, 04:42 AM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ahhhh pictures..... Someone finally figured out I can't read. whew... I though I'd never get this figured out. I'll crack open the egg tonight and take a look although the inside of mine looks a bit different at least now I'm no longer looking at the wrong adjusters.

I busted off one of the rusty studs trying to loosen one of the rusty nuts. What a nightmare trying to repair that thing. Just goes to show you how dangerous a man with just a little knowledge can be.

Thanks a million!
Old 01-28-2010, 07:09 AM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to idenphones
We had the same problem with our 1998, 2002, and 2004 Corvettes and our last motor home a 2003 Vacationer.

Only had one Vette at a time!!

On the Corvettes it was down right embarrassing not to mention dangerous especially if it was raining.

On the Vette we tried different types of Super Bulbs and we almost wore out the adjustment screws.

So, the next step was to go and see a pro. They adjusted the lights, a bit at no charge in less than 5 minutes. Then they gave me the not so good news.

The headlight lenses are made out of plastic in North America and the optics leave allot to be desired so I am told. Sunlight, sand and general road junk only make them worse.

The solution was to buy the glass Euro headlights from GM at many $$$ or go to that that famous auction site and buy an HID conversion kit for around $100.00 for the low beam only.

HID's are a little slow warming up so you don't want to use them for high beams.

Being generally on the cheap side, I ordered a set off of that auction site. You just need to be sure to get the ones that are very close to white as there are bluish ones and the County Mountie may not like that.

A few days and two bandaids later I had them installed in the Vette. (Pretty tight under the hood)

I did not adjust the beams and waited until it got dark.

WOW!!

No need for high beams anymore as the HID pattern, especially after I had them readjusted was just great!

The same kit fit our Vacationer and driving at night was a whole lot more pleasurable after that.

Our newest motor home, a 2009 Safari Simba has Escalade headlights and these guys work very good as it is.

But maybe for Xmas...............................
idenphones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:46 AM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by idenphones View Post
No need for high beams anymore as the HID pattern, especially after I had them readjusted was just great!
I've installed HID driving lights on my motorcycles so I know what you're talking about. The HID kits are relatively inexpensive these days so maybe I'll get a set after I figure out how to adjust them. No sense making the road 5 feet out any brighter then it already is!