RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2010, 05:10 PM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well thanks to the guys that posted here I was able to find the "correct" adjusters and bring up the beam of my headlights. I'll need to aim them properly as soon as I get a chance but at least now I know how to do it.

Thank you all very much for putting up with an ignorant shade tree mechanic.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2010, 07:41 PM   #30

We had an unfortunate situation about 6 weeks ago dealing with the lack of light due to our headlights being so dim.

This is what my husband did. He purchased these bulbs at Off Road Warehouse but I am sure you can find them at any off road auto parts place.

Replaced headlights with PIAA Xtreme White Plus
HB4 (9006) 51W = 115W

Replaced high beams with Xtreme Cool Blue White Light
HB3 60W = 120W

I can tell you there is a huge difference. We had the same problem as others have complained about. Don't have that problem anymore!!
Old 02-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #31

Freightliner Owners Club
We have a 2008 4055,are you just talking about Bulbs,and do you have web site for where you bought them?

Thanks DBOL
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can also get the bulbs direct from PIAA, $69 for a pair. I just looked it up because I have the same problem. BRILLIANT !!

http://www.piaa.com/Bulbs/Bulbs-9000.html
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:22 PM   #33

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for quit reply on info will look into it.I try not to drive at night and when i do have bad glare driver side window.
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:03 AM   #34

Anyone know for sure what bulb numbers a 2008 Daybreak uses?

I'd like to look into HID replacements.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:35 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
jcthorne, You first have to find out what vehicle the headlights are from. Then just see what that vehicle used for high and low beam bulbs. Otherwise you have to pull your bulbs to see what number they are. That is the problem with these fancy expensive headlights. Mine came from a 96-98 Pontiac Grand Am, whoopie!!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #36

JC, I just pulled one out of my '06 Daybreak and it's a Sylvania HB5/9007 DOT 12V> So, as long as it's out, I'm taking it down to the auto parts store and match up some Silverstars.
Scottwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #37

Had the same problem. Replaced bulbs with Sylvania Silverstars helped some but still needed more light. Best thing I did was to replace my fog lights with Hella driving lights. Now when I drive on dark roads I have the head lights on and the Hella's. Have the Hellas pointed out just past the head light beam without drivers coming towards be flahing thier brights.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:44 PM   #38

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I also had the same problem on my 2008 daybreak then i found a website on how to aim the lights and then bought some silverstar 4000k bulbs for low and high beams and this weekend was the first night drive since i adjusted and changed the bulbs and let me tell you it was a huge improvement..... I should have done it myself along time ago the dealer did adjust them originally and mad it better but now it is nice to drive in the dark
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:21 PM   #39

Hey Mavric, any chance you could share that website on how to aim the headlights? I re-aimed mine and they are WAY better but I'd kinda like to know the right way.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:11 PM   #40

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey there Scottwig the website i got the directions from doesnt seem to be working but here are the directions since i saved them to print out for when i did my adjustments
hope this helps

Time the job so that it's dark enough to see the headlight's glow clearly. Begin working at around twilight.
Step 2
Park the car on a flat surface facing a wall or garage door. The parking surface must be long enough to allow you to park the front of vehicle 25 feet away from the wall or door, but park the front of the vehicle up close to the wall for the initial procedure.
Step 3
Mark a center line on the wall. Extend a yardstick from the hood ornament, or center line on the hood, to the wall or door. Make a vertical line on the wall with masking tape to mark the vehicle center.
Step 4
Take measurements for reference marks. Measure from the ground to the center of one headlight. Mark the wall two inches below that measurement with a horizontal stripe of tape that's as wide as the vehicle. Place a yardstick vertically in the center of front grill. Use the hood ornament for a guide. Measure from the center of a low beam headlight to the center of the yardstick. Measure that distance from the vertical center tape along the horizontal tape stripe. Mark the distance with small vertical strips of tape that cross the horizontal tape on both sides of the center line.
Your wall marks will look similar to this: (----+-------|------+----)
Step 5
Back up the car in a straight line until the headlights are 25 feet from the wall. Use a tape measure to mark the distance accurately. Be sure the driveway or parking surface does not slope up or down.
Step 6
Turn the low beam headlights on. Notice the glow from each lamp is lower on the left side than on the right. The flat line at the upper left of the glow is called the cutoff.
Step 7
Adjust the vertical aim of the beams. Use the vertical set screw over the center of the lamp to set the cutoff of each beam level with the horizontal tape line.
Step 8
Adjust the horizontal aim. Use the horizontal adjustment screw, off to the outside of the lamp, to line up the angled slope coming up from the cutoff with the vertical side marks.
Step 9
Adjust the high beams on vehicles using a four lamp system. Leave the vehicle in the exact spot where the low beams were adjusted. Switch on the high beams. The glow should fall below the horizontal tape line, and be evenly spaced between the low beam markers. Use the horizontal and vertical set screws as needed to position the high beams as such.
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:41 AM   #41

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2010, 09:07 AM   #42

National RV Owners Club
Scottwig

Here's a copy you can print out.

Dick
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HID-VISUAL-HEADLIGHT-AIMING-PROCEDURE.pdf (32.7 KB, 88 views)