Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2010, 11:01 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
upgrade night time driving lights

Has anyone thought of or know a source for GREAT additional night driving lights
i have adjusted, tweaked and just cant seem to get enough light out in front
the stock lights once adjusted to give great view of the road out to about 50 feet, leave lots to be desired at any farther distances.
I adjusted the fogs to sort of c under cut and reach out a bit more
but i still get the feeling i am over driving the lights
i try not to drive at night to much
but lately it seems i find myself in dark situations on two lane roads
i was thinking about adding some under the front lower valance plus add some lights that come on to the side when i turn.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is somthing dramatically wrong if your lights are only looking 50' down the road.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
These folks sell Headlight Upgrades. You’re not the only complaint about the headlight coverage.
Repair composite RV Headlights and Motor Home Sealed Beam Lamps

Dick
Old 01-22-2010, 01:12 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
My Outlaw also has an issue with the headlight aiming. I've got the bottom adjuster all the way in and the upper one all the way out and still my headlights are shining about half the distance as yours. People don't even flash their lights at me with my high beams on which is most of the time.

I have a set of PIAA 910 pencil beam lamps off my other bike that I'm thinking about installing.

Maybe someone here can enlighten up as to the secret of proper headlight adjustment. As I see it there are only two adjusting studs on the headlight mounting frame to accomplish this.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adj View Post
There is something dramatically wrong if your lights are only looking 50' down the road.
i agree 100%
i adjusted the fogs to reach out far about 150 feet but the area in between is DARK and filled with shadows

i have spent countless hrs adjusting them
if i run the brights its pretty good but just aint the cats meow

i had thought about mounting some on the roof line just behind the front curve, and aim them down but i think i would get stopped for to much light

my headlights are made by DEPO number 114 OR anyone know what type vehicle these are normally on like a ford or benz? then i could source a HID upgrade

i think i found it it it used in a corolla from years 03-07
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides

Old 01-22-2010, 02:51 PM   #6

i think i found it, it is used in a corolla from years 03-07

Well hell that explains alot. Only works on Toyota MH's
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:55 PM   #7

I haven't tried to adjust mine yet but I hear where you all are coming from. Seems like there is never enough light on a moonless night on a two lane country road.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:14 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
the DEPO website which takes you to a site
but its vague at best
I left a message to verify the depo number is really for a corrolla
if its a corrolla i found about ten HID upgrades assemblies

i think sitting up so high sort of makes the beams short
i would like to have a set that shoots out about 40 degree to light up the road side, then another set to reach out across both lanes out to say 100 yards or more
i have a heck of a time seeing whats right next to the driver window at night when making a turn

Old 01-22-2010, 05:24 PM   #9

I don't know about the rest of you, but if it's that dark outside I'm going to be parked with my jacks down and an adult beverage in my hand. One thing you might try is replacing the fog lights with a couple of good halogen driving lights. If it's foggy enough to be using my fog lights I KNOW I'm going to be parked, not taking any chances with my baby and I'm not in that big of a hurry.
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I too have been pissing and moaning about the lack of light ever since I turned them on the first time. Factory says there are only two adjusting screws per light and you have to use shims to get the lights aimed where you want 'em. If anyone gets a good solution to this issue I too want to hear about it. My right side beam is pretty decent but the driver side looks like it is glowing on my toes. If I don't run the fog lights I can't see much either. Even though the factory says the last thing they do to the coach before delivering it is to align the headlight beams it appears they miss the target pretty frequently. OOps. I need some warmer dryer weather than we have had lately to crawl under that thing to put shims between the lamp assembly and the bracket for vertical alignment.

I look forward to hearingwhat you guys come up with for solutions.
teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #11

I'm going to get some of those projector lights all the little road racers use on these new cars. They put out that very bright blue light. They road race up and down my canyon all night long. Even on dim they blind oncoming traffic. I also like the idea of putting off road lights on top.

Six of them on a big light bar ought to work.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:23 AM   #12

>>> I've got the bottom adjuster all the way in and the upper one all the way out<<<<

DG....if your adjusters are like my Daybreak's, I think one adjusts the vertical and one adjusts the horizontal. My lights were terrible and I considered upgrading to relays and shorter cables or HID but decided to try adjusting first. I pulled up to about 6' away from my closed garage door and measured the height of the beam and compared to the height of the lamp, and found it to be aimed way too low. After fiddling with the adjuster screws I figured out how to raise them. Made a world of difference! (and saved some money) At least I can now read signs from far enough away to actually use their information.<g>

PS. We froze our a**es off in Gulf Shores, hope it was warmer for you guys.
Scottwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottwig View Post
PS. We froze our a**es off in Gulf Shores, hope it was warmer for you guys.
When we arrived on December 27th it was 64 degrees, the next day it was 40! The wind was nuts as well. We rode out to Pensacola and they were plowing the sand off the roads! Interesting enough it was so white it was just like being back home and seeing the snow being plowed. We stayed for three days then packed up and headed west to New Orleans

So can you tell me if the adjusters you're talking about are the threaded studs inside the motor compartment with the two rusty nuts on them? I couldn't find any other means of adjusting them and there are only two and they are vertical to one another. I'm hoping I'm missing the correct adjusting screws somewhere.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:37 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you can, call tech service and ask them what the lights are from. I called Winnebago tech and they told me mine were from a 98 Pontiac. Makes it much easier if you need a replacement or want to order better bulbs. I put in upgraded Silverstones ?, adjusted the aim on the headlights and fixed the problem. I adjusted the aim using my garage doors. I used my pickup lights to put some marks on my garage doors to set the focule point, adjusted for height and width to the motorhome lights and adjusted away. Came out great.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote