RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #1

Vinyl Tile vs Carpet

Has anyone replaced their carpeting with vinyl tiles? Or vinyl sheeting?

How did it work for you, if you did?

Thanks in advance

BACKDRAFT161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #2

Backdraft...my gal and I were refurbing our 1995 Bounder last season to make it into our current cycling platform....we needed an indestructible flooring that would keep up with our bikes....our cleats...our dogs and be easy and quick to clean. We went with a garage flooring inside the RV. I bought the material mail order from Sam's Club. $295.00 for the roll that covered the interior of our 34ft rig. It is way better than I thought. I would buy the same again if choice be....I ended up even trimming the entrance steps in the scraps too.

Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #3

Sorry - can you elaborate on what garage flooring is? Thanks. Photos would be great!
DogLdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #4

with vinyl, you get what you pay for. We had it in our Coachmen, and I dropped a small plastic food container (full of mayo), and it took a chunk out of the floor. Heavier duty stuff won't scratch or tear as easy. Also, look into vinyl plank flooring.

with that said, the MH is going to feel a bit colder and you'll get more road noise without carpet. Carpet feels warm on the feet. When buying used units, some people like vinyl, but many others like coaches that are all-original as they came from the factory...I am one of those people. Re-sale is another consideration. If you get vinyl, get a pattern that is neutral and looks very at home.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:36 AM   #5

Dogldy....
G-Floor - Garage Floor Protector - 9' x 20' - Sam's Club

This is what I bought in TAN color.

Instead of gluing it in place....I used a bronze colored carpet edge strip from Lowes to hold down the edges around the galley and hallway and up under the driver /passenger feet. The stairs area is trimmed in brown vinyl stair molding also bought at Lowes. My install is as close to indestructible as possible. We have modified the MH interior to house our recumbent trikes (removed dinette and slid couch to dinette area). So with cycles inside....dogs inside....people inside.....this needs to be impervious to everything and easy to clean. I think I am very close to obtaining that with this flooring.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #6

I ripped out the carpet in the kitchen & living room area of out 2000 Intruder this spring and replaced it with Allure Flooring from home Depot, love it no sand easy to clean and maintain. I never did understand why they would place carpet in an RV of any type. I'm sure it's all about the $$$$
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010009.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	350.1 KB
ID:	42518   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010010.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	306.1 KB
ID:	42519  

hicksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We took ALL our carpet out last year and put in Allure vinyl planking from Home Depot. It's great stuff, cleans up easily and we love it. What the problem is, if you have a slide with skids, they will scratch the heck out of it. This can be overcomed, but takes some work. If I had to do it over again I would use a very hard surface laminate.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #8

Thumbs up

The old girl is coming along nicely.

I took the carpet out in the living room, dining area, and the kitchen area. Added a sub flooring of 1/2" finished plywood. Cut to fit and liquid nails and screwed it down. I will NEVER take this flooring up. I pity anyone after me that would want too. Pic's will be coming soon.

Tile squares are being put down tomorrow. Should look real good and bring warmth and homey to the interior. It has been a real project but well worth it when DW and I are finished.

Stand by for pic's coming soon....
BACKDRAFT161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #9

Has any tried actual floor tile like they put in a more expensive rig?

Anyone know how they keep it from cracking once on the road????
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:48 AM   #10

Just for Fun: I watched a show called Extreme Rv's....it featured a renovation to a Provost rig where the builder described how they create a sub floor structure for marble tile. It uses the same membrane that they use in earthquake areas for tile flooring. Glad I got to watch the episode.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #11

Gocoffeer - thanks for sharing that link. How well is it holding up for you? I read some of the reviews that said it is slippery/dangerous when wet and also rather uncomfortable on bare feet. What's your input on the comfort for feet and paws? Also how do you wet clean it with the ridges in it? I'm assuming you need to sweep in one direction or do you use a vacuum? Thanks.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:51 AM   #12

Dogldy: I will agree with uncomfortable thus far. But there are two styles....I have certainly bought the wrong style. one style is ribbed (like mine) the other is a pattern of raised circles. This is what you might want. Both are reasonable and both available in different colors. I will say that the flooring is basically bullet proof for our MH needs. If you want to take a back woods type traffic in our small space and make it manageable...this is one option to explore. I am heading to the Florida Keys for a week of cycling.....there are tons of little sand bugs that can really infest a carpet....not in my MH....I am protected.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:24 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocoffeer View Post
I am heading to the Florida Keys for a week of cycling.....there are tons of little sand bugs that can really infest a carpet.
We spend the entire winter in the Keys and (luckily) have not had this problem. With two furry black & brown dogs it does see at lot of vacuuming though.

We agonized over what to replace our aging carpet with and went back to another carpet. This time a little lower pile that is guaranteed not to stain or pull. Time will tell if that is true. One reason for not going with vinyl or manufactured wood flooring was the transition on the flat floor slide out. None of them I saw in person or photos looked right. As it turned out the transition still doesn't look right so we are having the carpet company come back, rip out part of the carpet on the slide and put in an new piece that hangs slightly over the transition with the edge bound. The other half has a reclining sofa that hangs over the edge hiding it.

If you don't have slides or none like ours and if you are OK with a little cooler on your bare feet and a slight increase in road noise, vinyl or Pergo/Alure type flooring is for you. Some throw rugs with rubber backing might help and can be taken outside to shake out easily.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #14

I have dogs [several] and occasionally a litter of puppies. I can most certainly live without carpet and want something sturdy that sweeps easily and can hold up to lots of mopping/steam mopping, looking nice, and that does not get easily destroyed by a bored dog or a naughty pup. Thank you so much for sharing and elaborating on the garage flooring.