RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2010, 12:48 AM   #85

Send a message via Yahoo to Bill98116
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmpbauer View Post
My wife and I originally bought a Four Winds Chateau 31' C. Drove from Tampa to Little Rock, where we stopped at for a ladder. Three hours later, we walked through a new 2008 Essence. 40' DP/Cummins 425/FCCC. Loved everything about the coach. We've had lots of issues...many from dealer neglect as it sat for a year on a lot. Damon is working through the issues with us. They really do want satisfied owners who speak highly of their products and their company.
We had a Damon Tuscany 2008. We had so many problems with the unit Damon wanted us to bring the rig back to the factory for re-inspection. We bought it August 2009 but it was in the repair shop till April 2010. My other half was so upset with it she was finished with it!!! So we traded it in on a 5th wheel. I will admit we loved the Tuscany, it was much more plush than the 5th wheel we have now, but it was almost unusable. Every time we took it out for a weekend, it ended up back at the repair shop for another month. Damon was good about taking care of the problems, but if you can't use the RV, what good is it??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2010, 04:54 PM   #86

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bill.. There is an old saying.. Every company, no matter how good, turns out the occasional LEMON, and every company turns out the occasional Gold Nugget.. So,,, What (other than nationality) is the difference between Yugo and Lamborgini?

Well.. Lamborgini don't make many lemons

That said, another Itialian hand made car once broke down on I-94 in Detroit,, It was the last straw for the owner who's story (It spent more time in shop than on road) was like yours.. Ask some time if you'd like to find how that turned out (BAD for the owner)

I will admit I've had a few issues too.

WIndshields (Self removing, Fixed by Damon no problem)
Dash (Workhorse dash issue: Damon is an authorized fix-it center)
Air Conditioning (Chassis air) See last line. The A/C tech and I are now friends as well
Assorted screws loose: I have a good set of screwdrivers (NOTE: Power panel is common location for loose screws)

Microwave: Dometic Not really Damon's issue but I have the skills to fix that turkey too, The unit as delivered could not be fixed, I had to engineer a couple modifications, Worked great since.. Though the door says Dometic, the ID plate says LG.. Never not once, have I ever been pleased with an LG product and this one is no different.

VCR: Zenith, an LG brand, see above (Panasonic from the house worked 100%, and now it's been replaced with something better.. DVR network)

Slide out (Power gear) Major source of labor.. I keep replacing bolts.. I think I can re-engineer that one too when I find my big high-power resistor and drop the voltage a volt or 2. But I'm not sure I wish to do that.

But I do buy shear bolts by the dozen.

Would I buy another Damon... YES.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #87

Damon Owners Club
Bill, sorry to hear how bad your unit turned out to be. We've had ours over 3 years now and would by another Tuscany in a heart beat. The coach has been so good to us and Damon has also stood behind their product.

But we know about the lemon and not being able to use your coach. We had the same issues (in the shop more than we could use it) on the gas coach we traded in on the Tuscany. Couldn't get out of that fast enough.
The Woodieboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #88

Damon Owners Club
Damon Problems

We have followed Bill's unbelievable problems with a Damon coach and will say that it does have one positive for those considering a purchase. Anyone seeing his posts sould make a list of his problems and make those part of the check list of any coach they might buy. I think any smart buyer could benefit from a complete and thorough examination of the coach they are considering using some of Bill's problems at the top of the list. There is that first blush of finding just the right coach and rushing in to buy only to be disappointed because we accepted something less than our expectations. I have to say that we bought a new 2009 Damon Challenger 377 last October from General RV in Brownstone, MI. and have been well pleased by their service and support as well as e-mail responses from Damon on questions we had. Several minor problems were easily fixed before we took posession of the coach and only one major one that was expected to take 3 weeks to be looked at and repaired, was repaired over-night! When I asked how that could happen, they explained that they had nearly 80 units on the lot for service but mostly for insurance claims and didn't want to promise us something that would disappoint us if they couldn't meet the schedule. Better to be pleasantly surprised rather than mad for an extended wait. I like that idea. The coach has been a dream with all the features and floor plan we wanted. We are extremely satisfied with both the dealer and the brand. At this point, would definitely buy again!
capndan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:21 AM   #89

Easy Answer

The floorplan. I had been searching and doing my research for almost a year to replace my antique Winnie. I KNEW what I wanted, DP, slides, 35 feet of goodness. Thank goodness I didnt get any of that.
Found a 96 Ultrasport 3010 with 13k on the clock at a really low price. The floor plan is very open and for a single guy more than enough. I work for a GM Medium Duty dealer and have heard the diesel horror stories from our techs plus I can replace the 454 ,if needed, cheaply. The only minor problems I have had were easily fixed with wd40 and light bulbs! A plus is that this coach gets 3 mpg more than my older shorter lighter Winnie 454. Saved enough to keep the old one and pass it down to the kids!
Old Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #90

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Went to the RV show.. Toured about 20 coaches.. the 2005 Damon Intruder 377 was the only bath and a half on display.

Eventually.. I may trade it in on a new one but this I can tell you.. IF that new one does not have that second toilet.. NO SALE.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:43 PM   #91

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
Well, I have to hand it to Damon....

We've had issues, and Thor Motor Coach is coming to get our coach in January. I've sent them a list, and I am hoping they address everything in the right ways. I am expecting them to fix the coach. I have been very happy with their response. I will keep you all updated. They will pick up the coach the first week of January 2011 and I expect it back by March with everything fixed.

We believe they will stand by their products. I'm betting they do.
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:18 PM   #92

We chose our 2003 38' Damon Intruder because of layout and price. We have never had a home with slide outs so user ignorance has been a lot of our problem. Today....everything is working as it should. Took me a good 6 months and scouring IRV2 website to track down all the little "hic-ups". But we love the coach. It is so beautiful and well decorated. We have the L shaped sofa, corner entertainment center and dining table. Just like home when we are parked. It stills takes my breath away when I turn down our street and see it parked there!

Mobilemom
Kountze, Texas
mobilemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #93

Damon Owners Club
Talking 2008 Damon Outlaw

We bought our outlaw because I didn't want to tow a trailer carrying our Motorcycles. I wasn't impressed with the First Outlaw that I came across as it fell apart as I was going through it. Luckliy I found another one that is in mint condition. It is perfect for boondocking RV Park camping or whatever. It carries the whole famdamly and our toys!

Lisa
lapeake143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineKap View Post
Hello All.

I am just curious to find out why everyone choose a Damon Coach over all the others.

Myself, I bought mine because the price was right and i liked the layout. I realize now i should of done more research on the coach and its maker but so be it. I am still happy with my purchase.

Kevin
Ditto Pinekap
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:35 PM   #95

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
Well, I traded my Essence for a 2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40' QTH and I couldn't be happier.
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:19 AM   #96

After a year of evaluating many coaches we narrowed our short list down to two manufacturers, Winnebago and Thor/Damon. We chose our Damon Escaper 4076 because it was the nicest coach with the amenities and price we could find.

We purchased our baby at the end of January 2011. We have put a little over 5,000 miles on it. As I write this we are sitting in the Creekside RV Park in Pigeon Forge, TN. We started out trip on July 20th in Sarasota, FL. We travel with our pets (two dogs and two cats) It is truly a home away from home for us. On this trip we went to Long Island, NY and are traveling back home through the Smoky Mountains. The diesel power is everything that it is cracked up to be. I've got my wife to thank for keeping me focused to purchase a DP.

We love our Thor/Damon. I am glad to hear that so many of you are happy with your Thor/Damon purchases also.

Happy trails...
randco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:16 PM   #97

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by randco View Post
As I write this we are sitting in the Creekside RV Park in Pigeon Forge, TN.
My wife and I were there Saturday and Sunday on site #33
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote