Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum > Damon
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2008, 06:28 AM   #1

Just throwing this out there for those of you may have done a satellite installation on your Damon.

This AM I climbed up on the roof to install my R5 KVH and right in front of the area where I plan to install the dish is the 4" round decal installed by Damon that basically says "Drill here to expose Satellite Coaxial Cable. Drill 1 1/2" hole 3/4 deep."

I drilled a 1 1/4" hole (to be on the cautious side here) and guess what I ran into. Directly under Damon's Crosshair "drill here" symbol was a 1/2" cold water line, and you guessed it, I nicked that baby. Obvious here is why did they put a water line anywhere in the neighborhood of the satellite decal/vise versa. I took a bunch of pics from the roof top and threw a board over the hole, we are due rain today! I basically quit at that point, day ruined at 8:30AM.

Now for the worst part....as if it could be worse....I removed the styrofoam pellets from my new 1 1/4" sunroof and there is NO Coax anywhere within my fingers reach, nothing. The water line was there as was two 12v wires, again directly in this drill area.

So not only did I destroy a water line, which is going mean cutting an even larger hole for the repair, but it was for no reason at all. I plan to call Damon on my way to the repair shop first thing. I know this may be laughable, but I'm going to ask them to pay for these repairs, as I did exactly what the decal said to do. I will post my response, sure it will be a joke to ask. This is ridiculous though, esp the main reason, no coax anywhere.

Anyone else ever experience this type of thing? I just figured I would ask.

2004 Damon Intruder 369/W22
Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2008, 06:28 AM   #2

Just throwing this out there for those of you may have done a satellite installation on your Damon.

This AM I climbed up on the roof to install my R5 KVH and right in front of the area where I plan to install the dish is the 4" round decal installed by Damon that basically says "Drill here to expose Satellite Coaxial Cable. Drill 1 1/2" hole 3/4 deep."

I drilled a 1 1/4" hole (to be on the cautious side here) and guess what I ran into. Directly under Damon's Crosshair "drill here" symbol was a 1/2" cold water line, and you guessed it, I nicked that baby. Obvious here is why did they put a water line anywhere in the neighborhood of the satellite decal/vise versa. I took a bunch of pics from the roof top and threw a board over the hole, we are due rain today! I basically quit at that point, day ruined at 8:30AM.

Now for the worst part....as if it could be worse....I removed the styrofoam pellets from my new 1 1/4" sunroof and there is NO Coax anywhere within my fingers reach, nothing. The water line was there as was two 12v wires, again directly in this drill area.

So not only did I destroy a water line, which is going mean cutting an even larger hole for the repair, but it was for no reason at all. I plan to call Damon on my way to the repair shop first thing. I know this may be laughable, but I'm going to ask them to pay for these repairs, as I did exactly what the decal said to do. I will post my response, sure it will be a joke to ask. This is ridiculous though, esp the main reason, no coax anywhere.

Anyone else ever experience this type of thing? I just figured I would ask.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:56 AM   #3

There is no way that is a water line. I bet they slid the coax into a pex line to protect it. Why would they run a water line in the roof where it can freeze?

Sam
Old 06-08-2008, 07:11 AM   #4

You know, I thought the same thing, it was moist in the cut area but also still early with dew on roof of RV.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:16 AM   #5

I would be willing to bet that thats not a water line.There is no reason for one up in that area. I have been told by a ton of rv techs to pay no attention what they write on the roof,the coax is almost never where it is supposed to be.Plug the hole after you figure out what the pex line is all about and run the kvh wires thru the roof cap with sat plate to your componant cabinet.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:40 AM   #6

Should I cut the hose and find out if coax is inside first? If it's not, then I gotta fix that line, whatever it's purpose is if not transporting or encasing the coax.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:05 AM   #7

Give it a good yank and see if you can pull it out, although that might be difficult through a small hole. On my 04 challenger, no water lines are even ran in the walls so there is just no way they are going to use the ceiling.

Sam
Old 06-08-2008, 04:59 PM   #8

Just in and wanted to update. So I give it a good yank....actually I cut the rest of the hose and exposed a beautiful piece of RG-6, whew!

Thanks to all of you. I knew better than a water line up there but kinda went the other way thought-wise when I saw the Pex line. It just threw me off. Didn't have any time to go back to the Coach to dig deeper. I had to go to Church, then in-laws, then the LSU baseball game (wow), so I didn't get to come back to cut it open until around 7:30 this evening.

Nonetheless, I had planned to just cap the thing and run new lines up to front, but instead will utilize the existing cable. Pulled it out and sealed her up real good with self leveling. Thanks for all your input, you saved a poor guys Sunday. Haha

Old 06-08-2008, 05:02 PM   #9

Commish, you said you nicked the line, did you put a hole in it? If so, then you've got to cut it anyways. I agree with Sam. There is no way, no way at all Damon would run a water line in the roof. All the water lines run inside the coach body where they can stay warm.
Thinking with your production hat on, it would be very easy to slide the coax inside something you have lots of and use the stiffness of the Pex to slide the coax down the roof where you want it. If you do cut it, do it carefully and see what's in there.
If you do talk to Damon, I wonder if they'll tell you that they run the cable in the pex all the time...like you should know that.

Chandler

Wife, Dee
Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:12 PM   #10

Seems as I was updating you were also typing a reply. Did exactly as you said above, all went well. Good to know though.

Thanks Chandler, always appreciate your input.