RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2014, 02:44 PM   #1

12V Fuse Panel Issue 2014 ACE 27.1

Posted this over on the Appliances/Tech forum, but maybe better here:

In going thru all the fuses to make sure we had each fuse I.D.ed with what it protects & to label them on the panel:
We found that the #4 fuse "Fault Light" (see below Pic) illuminates after pulling the fuse out with all known demands in off position.

None of the other fuse fault lights come on with all pertinent demands off.

All will illuminate if something is left on and with that particular circuit fuse pulled.

Thinking we have a short, or maybe something "ON" that we can't find.

Or, maybe this is supposed to be this way on our model.

CW told us the 2 - 40V fuses also seen in the pic, & not ID'ed in our RVs documentation (that we could find), are for the converter.

Any input much appreciated.
THANKS!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ace Fuse Box.jpg
Views:	3306
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	67858  

millwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2014, 05:39 PM   #2

Circuit supplies something that is supposed to be on all the time? propane detector maybe, just a guess...

rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivraton View Post
Circuit supplies something that is supposed to be on all the time? propane detector maybe, just a guess...
I thought I checked on that one, but will look again when we get the rig back f/CW.

These RVs seem to be (or can be) very different even if within same manuf./model family - am guessing your #4 does not react that way - if you've checked it out.

If I find out what's up, I'll post back.
Thanks a bunch!
Old 07-15-2014, 05:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by millwind View Post
I thought I checked on that one, but will look again when we get the rig back f/CW.

These RVs seem to be (or can be) very different even if within same manuf./model family - am guessing your #4 does not react that way - if you've checked it out.

If I find out what's up, I'll post back.
Thanks a bunch!
I don't know if it does, It's still at the dealership, I'm supposed to pick it up tomorrow...
Old 07-15-2014, 06:35 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Besides LP detector, it could be electric steps circuit. Your job is a good one that will save you on some dark night when a fuse blows!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:37 AM   #6

Quote:
I don't know if it does, It's still at the dealership, I'm supposed to pick it up tomorrow...
Hope many of the earlier model wrinkles are ironed out in your 2015.
Good RV'ing & have fun!
Old 07-17-2014, 12:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by millwind View Post
Hope many of the earlier model wrinkles are ironed out in your 2015.
Good RV'ing & have fun!
The 2015's still have only one latch (at the bottom) securing the pantry, mine now has one at the top as well. (and the dealership plans to install them on all units on their lot, A lot of damaged closet doors from the pantry flying open on test drives!) I found a few minor defects during the walk through, I'll probably correct them myself. (Just easier than driving 55 miles back and wasting a day)
Handling is a little "mushy", not unbearable, but I can see why most install sway bars, I probably will fairly soon, because I will be towing most of the time. The fuses are still not identified, nor are the 3 upper switches by the door. Still no dash speakers, but installing them should be easier because the bedroom and exterior speakers are on a radio in the bedroom, so with only the 2 right behind the cockpit hooked to the dash radio there will be circuits available for the dash speakers, but I'll probably mount my Alpine unit with XM
in one of the little cubby holes for driving entertainment, plenty of time to fiddle & fine tune..
Old 07-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #8

Quote:
The fuses are still not identified, ..........

Did not intend to mislead - our fuses are ID'ed in the Thor manual, but not on the panel itself - also another poster related some faulty (RV house) 12V fuse panel issues - thus my tinkering/labeling & discovery of our #4 (12V side) having the fault light issue (light 'on' w/all known demands off & w/fuse pulled).

........., plenty of time to fiddle & fine tune..
If, during your fiddling, you have time to check out #4 in the house panel maybe you can advise if your fault light is lit w/demands off & fuse pulled. Fuse #4 in our rig is ID'ed as "REAR" in the manual & near as we can tell it's the BD closet lights only.

.........and Congrats on the ACE!
Old 07-17-2014, 02:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Rivraton, got our rig back yesterday, checked & verified that Prop./CO detector are on another circuit - do very much appreciate the suggestion tho
Old 07-17-2014, 03:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Besides LP detector, it could be electric steps circuit. Your job is a good one that will save you on some dark night when a fuse blows!
Checked & verified that one too - the step & step light are on another circuit. Only fixtures I find on this line are the 2 rear closet lights & the vanity light btw. them. Wife says 'forgetaboutit' - maybe I will.

Holding out for another 27.1 owner to check their unit out & pipe in - perhaps it's some non-switched minor drain that's supposed to be on all the time.

Thanks so much for the suggestion.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:17 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is a guess.. However there are 3 devices in my Motor home that are not easy to shut off.

1: Smoke detector: Mine uses internal batteries but some use external power with internal battery back up.

2: CO Detector: See comments for 1:

3: Explosive gas (Propane) Detector.. this is a 12 volt house battery device, Mine does not have an OFF button or switch.

I"m thinking you have one of those too.

A second thought but way farther down the posiblity list.. Moisture, does not take a lot of current to light an LED, a drop of non-pure water can easily bridge two contacts with enough draw to light it up. And outside of a lab. PURE water is kind of rare.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
This is a guess.. However there are 3 devices in my Motor home that are not easy to shut off.

1: Smoke detector: Mine uses internal batteries but some use external power with internal battery back up.

2: CO Detector: See comments for 1:

3: Explosive gas (Propane) Detector.. this is a 12 volt house battery device, Mine does not have an OFF button or switch.

I"m thinking you have one of those too.

A second thought but way farther down the posiblity list.. Moisture, does not take a lot of current to light an LED, a drop of non-pure water can easily bridge two contacts with enough draw to light it up. And outside of a lab. PURE water is kind of rare.
1,2 & 3 all checked & verified as on other circuits (or in the case of the smoker detector, battery).

No moisture in the area (or the entire so. end of the state for that matter) - had panel cover off today & don't see anything obvious - just one blue wire off #4.
Appreciate the input!!
Best.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:05 PM   #13

Update

Just traded message w/another 27.1 owner (2015 model) & he verified that his #4 circuit (12V panel under dinette seat) also has its red fault light illuminated with fuse pulled & all known demands off - so am concluding, at least for now: no short, but rather an intentional (non-switched & non-ID'ed) demand of some sort.

Tags
fuse, panel