RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2014, 09:45 PM   #1

1st impressions- ACE 30.1

I'm going to post this for someone looking to purchase an ACE. It does appear the Thor section is a bit dead...but here goes anyway.

Had a two hour walk around and was very impressed. During the drive home I couldn't get the radio to work and was disgusted. New motorhome issues!!! Turns out I had the house batteries off which powers the coach radio. Odd, yet I can play the stereo while tailgating without keeping the key in AC? Nice!

There were a couple screws I needed to finish tightening and some drawers that needed adjusted. I'm very picky about fit and finish. But after all that I must say I am very, very impressed for an 'entry level' class A.

I love sitting high and being able to look around. I feel as if I am going to hit every limb as opposed to my class C in which I was shielded. With time, I will be used to it.

I must say the color scheme and interior are very rich. We showed it to friends and family and they were all floored by it.

It took me a short time to figure the slide lock needed to be placed down by the floor behind the drivers seat. I am not impressed by the cheap screen sliders at the drivers and passenger seat windows. They literally bend as you push them. We have one bent arm in the window by the sofa which I am hoping I can straighten. And the steering seems a bit stiff which may be the way it should be compared to my C.

But besides that what a nice, clean, affordable class A with so much potential which is a decent size and can sleep 7-8 family members with kids.

I can honestly say I can sleep tonight...

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2014, 11:54 PM   #2

I have the same window issue on my 2015 27.1 I looked at it and, unless you can figure a way to stiffen it up some way, it will just bend again. I contacted THOR warranty and they are replacing the entire window (I hope with a better designed regulator) That arm is too weak to handle that size window, the one by the sink and the one in the bedroom seem to be OK, because there is far less "load" on them. I think they should have left it with the sliding windows like the 2014.

rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:23 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Glad to hear that you are enjoying your new ACE! Like all motorhomes, you will find a few problems, but overall, they are a lot of fun!
Old 08-12-2014, 07:33 AM   #4

I would agree that at first I was impressed by the entry level coach. I have found though that there are just too many 'quality control' items for me to feel as good as I did the first few trips. Leaks in both the main sink and now shower...coming from under the wall board. That scares the hell out of me. The main door that hits the frame and could barely be opened. An awning that creaks and shimmies open and closed...like its binding no matter how much lube I hit it with. Decals and ugly bubbles...sloppy screws..half in and sideways. Front main seal across nose popped up and had to be fixed...good thing I crawl up there to check things! Buttons not hooked up...

I'm a DIY'er so things don't scare me but I have had to spend too much time fixing stuff that should have never left the factory. The Thor video shows all their QC...etc. I call BS on that because a simple test of the water system would have caught my 'water' issues.

Anyway...don't want to bash Thor in any way...because i love the idea of this coach and i get it is an entry level coach...i'm disappointed in the things that they could have caught. The other stuff...a rolling home will surely loosen up and need adjustments...I get it and that is not my issue.

I'll keep modding and playing...as always and enjoying more miles in the rig. Just got back from 7 days at Myrtle Beach where my shower would leak all over...not a warm and fuzzy feeling!

Good luck with yours!
Old 08-12-2014, 08:48 AM   #5

Do you know what is leaking, ie: drain connection, water supply, tub surround, caulk, etc? I am always paranoid about water leaks and check regularly.
streamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #6

YIKES!
I was feeling pretty happy about my purchase until this.
I know the ACE is more of a Ford Mustang than a Jaguar F class. But I have no problems with that and wanted something brand new that I could take care of from day 1...no scratches, fading, wear marks, etc.
It now sounds as if I ended up buying a Ford Pinto.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamcamper View Post
Do you know what is leaking, ie: drain connection, water supply, tub surround, caulk, etc? I am always paranoid about water leaks and check regularly.
Nope..that is the problem. I 'thought' it was a poorly caulked shower pan...but alas, i redid all of it and still a leak. There 'was' a leak from behind the main controls...that CW said they fixed. My bet is that they did not. I also found a stripped screw that holds the controls on and the seal is broken...again, fixed and water still shows up in a puddle at the floor coming from under the pan, the base and to the floor.

Water freaks me out too in the RV...it is the RV nemesis. Anyway...i'm not 'unhappy' as much as disappointed...i too loved the idea of new and taking care of my own...modding etc. I'm pissed at the QC stuff...that has nothing to do with wear and tear...just poor construction.

I'm going to pull it apart myself and see what is up. Then let CW take care of what I cannot figure out.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGT View Post
YIKES!
I was feeling pretty happy about my purchase until this.
I know the ACE is more of a Ford Mustang than a Jaguar F class. But I have no problems with that and wanted something brand new that I could take care of from day 1...no scratches, fading, wear marks, etc.
It now sounds as if I ended up buying a Ford Pinto.
I'm sorry...I hope you have the fully positive experience. I know many have...or at least the regular fixes that are needed. I too loved the new ACE and chose it for finish and function and brand new. Some folks are luckier than others. Otherwise we love the design, the features and look etc.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:12 PM   #9

Well, here's to hoping you got a Friday afternoon ACE!

Old 08-12-2014, 04:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGT View Post
Well, here's to hoping you got a Friday afternoon ACE!
i sure hope it was just a fluke!!
Old 08-12-2014, 09:03 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
If you've done any research at all on Thor QC problems then none of this should come as a surprise. A simple Google search will unfortunately yield a bevy of results...
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
If you've done any research at all on Thor QC problems then none of this should come as a surprise. A simple Google search will unfortunately yield a bevy of results...
There is a write-up on the Tuscany in the current Motor Home Magazine that laments the lack of quality control at Thor. (I'd really be pizzed-off if I spent 300 grand and had Q C issues!)
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:09 AM   #13

Sorry to hear some of you have had issues with the ACE. We love ours and except for one minor issue (pet drawer cracked) and crappy batteries (Harris Warranty claim pending) nothing major..(fingers crossed)... From talking with folks with different coaches it really seems that now days the QC sucks from all makers not just Thor
ssgwsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:57 AM   #14

The way I look at it is this way- if I need to place a couple dollars into the ACE and make some adjustments, I am fine with that. IMO, with the $$$ saved I can afford to do so. Had I spent $200K for a new gasser, I would expect 0 problems and would have 0 tolerance for problems. Now by problems I mean speaker, tv, water pump upgrades. I am finding the snafu of it all seems to be the service area more than anything. Finding a good service center for warranty claims is going to be imperative.
Now delamination, that is a different story.