RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2020, 02:21 PM   #1

2006 Thor Motor Coach Tuscany 40rt

Okay folks..Need some help here.

We are VERY interested in buying this coach and wondering what input you might have on this year, both pro's and con's.

2006 thor motor coach tuscany 40rt

It's a 2006 with 43K miles and we just spoke to the only owner who has taken very good care of it and it has been stored indoors when not in use.

I'm planning on hiring an inspector to take a look at it, unless of course anyone is in the area..but since it's a private seller I don't think that would work.

The floor plan can work for us but just need to know what you folks think of this year and perhaps any other questions we need to ask.

He did mentioned that when they 1st bought it the turbo went out as they had a bad bunch that year and he's had no more issues with it.

Fridge was replaced 3 years ago, as well as the Microwave.
Chassis batteries are 5-6 years old, house 3.
Tires replaced in 2018, four slides, sleeps 6.

Trying not to get excited...we've been looking for a long time and this is the 1st one that has appealed to us. (Has a King bed!)

Appreciate you input.

Thanks!
PS: Do any of you folks know of a good inspector in the Peoria, AZ area?

TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2020, 11:03 AM   #2

Hmm, "Hello? Anyone here?" No one goes to this Forum?

Old 03-09-2020, 11:05 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
TriMoot --

The 2006 Damon (Thor) Tuscany 4074 (this is the floor plan noted in the details of the RV Trader posting) is very similar (including floor plan) to the 2007 Damon Astoria 3774 we previously owned. The Tuscany model is one step up from the Astoria to get into the 40 foot long coach size. Overall we enjoyed our Astoria but because is only had 4,900 miles of use when we purchased it in 2014, it came with "limited use" risks. Due to limited use, the stabilizer bar and track bar bushings had to be replace, the dashboard A/C compressor locked-up and had to be replaced. The Lippert controllers for the slide outs had to be replaced (they just "burned out), and the most concerning of all the automatic transfer switch had to be replaced after it overheated. We later learned that Iota Engineering (transfer switch manufacturer) went bankrupt due to many of its transfer switches failing. The entry steps motor also had to be replaced. The reason we traded the Astoria for our new-to-us Newmar Ventanta LE was the Astoria had vinyl graphics which after 13 years had dried-out and were cracking. The cost to replace the vinyl graphics was not economic vs. the market value of the Astoria.

The Tuscany you are considering looks great inside and out! You'll like the 4074 floor plan. The "aged" items I'd question are the two original, CRT televisions. I question if those work with over the air, cable and satellite HD television broadcasts. If the current owner is making the old CRT televisions work with current HD broadcasts, I'm curious how that is accomplished.

As you stated, a thorough inspection of the Tuscany is a must before making a purchase decision. From my experiences, there are no concerns with a Damon manufactured motorhome. The Tuscany would be a big, roomy upgrade over your current coach.

Here is a link to the sales brochure for the 2006 Damon Tuscany 4074 you are considering --> https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/2006_tuscany_1.pdf

With regards to an RV inspector, the NRVIA website can provide some help --> https://nrvia.org/locate/
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:47 PM   #4

Nice coach and should be fine given things age and you simply fix or replace

the price should be close as well

At the time they were very nice coaches and still are
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnaml View Post
TriMoot --

The 2006 Damon (Thor) Tuscany 4074 (this is the floor plan noted in the details of the RV Trader posting) is very similar (including floor plan) to the 2007 Damon Astoria 3774 we previously owned. The Tuscany model is one step up from the Astoria to get into the 40 foot long coach size. Overall we enjoyed our Astoria but because is only had 4,900 miles of use when we purchased it in 2014, it came with "limited use" risks. Due to limited use, the stabilizer bar and track bar bushings had to be replace, the dashboard A/C compressor locked-up and had to be replaced. The Lippert controllers for the slide outs had to be replaced (they just "burned out), and the most concerning of all the automatic transfer switch had to be replaced after it overheated. We later learned that Iota Engineering (transfer switch manufacturer) went bankrupt due to many of its transfer switches failing. The entry steps motor also had to be replaced. The reason we traded the Astoria for our new-to-us Newmar Ventanta LE was the Astoria had vinyl graphics which after 13 years had dried-out and were cracking. The cost to replace the vinyl graphics was not economic vs. the market value of the Astoria.

The Tuscany you are considering looks great inside and out! You'll like the 4074 floor plan. The "aged" items I'd question are the two original, CRT televisions. I question if those work with over the air, cable and satellite HD television broadcasts. If the current owner is making the old CRT televisions work with current HD broadcasts, I'm curious how that is accomplished.

As you stated, a thorough inspection of the Tuscany is a must before making a purchase decision. From my experiences, there are no concerns with a Damon manufactured motorhome. The Tuscany would be a big, roomy upgrade over your current coach.

Here is a link to the sales brochure for the 2006 Damon Tuscany 4074 you are considering --> https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/2006_tuscany_1.pdf

With regards to an RV inspector, the NRVIA website can provide some help --> https://nrvia.org/locate/
Thanks so much for your input Fagnaml! Greatly appreciate it.

I requested an email address from the owner saying I had a lot of questions that might be better if it was all put down on paper so to speak, rather than bugging him numerous times with text and/or phone calls.

I'm having a hard time seeing any others of this particular make and model for sale. I found one I think but it was not in the same kind of shape.

Sure do wish it was closer to us so we could actually sit in it and see how we feel.

We have some pretty hard and fast must haves and if they're not met than it's a no go.

One of them is kind of silly in a sense, but one of the biggest reason we love a class A rig is the view out the front window. Many RV's, especially the newer ones, have the cabinets and/or the shades too far down which limits that open expansive view that we love so much.

On this rig, we noticed the cabinets are quite tall and are worried that when we sit in the front seat they will hang down low enough that we'll not get that view we want. But since the ceilings are 7' high...maybe that's not an issue with this? Don't know, and I am not seeing any similar rigs around here in Spokane to compare with. I would hate to put money into an inspection for the house and engine (two separate inspections) just to fly down there and be disappointed with thew view. I know I know..silly, but hey..to us, it's important.

This weekend I'm going to schedule a visit to one of our RV dealers here and test drive two 40'ers. I have not driven a diesel rig before and would like to know and feel the difference from what we've been driving for the last 6 years. Other than the usual getting blown around a bit our old 97 does pretty good. But it's funny, because that's one thing the owner of this rig mentioned was "the wind pushes you around". Hmm, it's a 26K pound rig vs our 17K pound one..I was kinda hoping it wouldn't do that. Of course perhaps it needs a new sway bar or shocks, I've asked all those questions so it'll be interesting to hear back on what he says.

Well this is sure an adventure. Getting ready to retire and all the unknowns that comes with that. Sure wish there was a manual to follow!

Thanks for your input and help.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:21 PM   #6

Ugh...finally sat down and started googling reviews for this rig and Tuscany's in general..NOT GOOD.

https://www.rvinsider.com/Thor-Motor...iews_container

Think I'm going to pass on this one.

Back to the research.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:10 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
TriMoot --

Be cautious attributing the Thor name to the 2006 Damon Tuscany 4074 you are considering! The poor reviews of 5-8 year old Thor motorhomes are unfortunately fairly consistently "bad". When my wife and I were looking for a new-to-us motorhome ten months ago we had considered a Thor Aria (replacement for the Damon Astoria) but did not pursue the Aria due to the abundance of poor Thor reviews.

My experience and opinion is the Damon Tuscany 4074 you are considering would be a very good choice if your price point is $65,000 - $70,000 especially considering that Damon looks to be in great condition! The reviews of 2006 (+/-) Damon Tuscany's are quite good --> https://www.rvinsider.com/Damon-Tuscany-RV-Reviews?manu=Damon&brand=Tuscany#reviews_container

With regards to your concern about the size of the "cockpit" cabinets, the bottom of those cabinets are slightly above the top of the entry door frame and above the top of the front windshield. The cabinets (which are nearly identical to the ones I had in the Astoria) do not block views out of the huge front windshield.

The 2006 Damon Tuscany 4074 would be a great first time Class A motorhome for you!

If your finances allow, a 2006 Newmar Dutch Star such as this one would be worth your time to investigate --> https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...027-5010908300 The "coach" side of a Newmar has more robust wall and roof construction and higher amenities versus a Damon Tuscany (and thus costs more!). Here is a link to the sales brochure for the 2006 Newmar Dutch Star --> http://library.rvusa.com/brochure/2006dsdpbrochure.pdf
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
Ugh...finally sat down and started googling reviews for this rig and Tuscany's in general..NOT GOOD.

Back to the research.
You should increase the budget or switch to gas only

Don't really think that you are ready for a DP
Old 03-17-2020, 02:27 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post

Back to the research.

second the thor TUSCANY, had issue right out of the gate.. the DAMON built tuscanys were and are good units. same stuff inside as all other busses.

our 2008 is doing very well, we have changed out the roof top a/cs a residential fridge and advatium convection oven, all of which are same as other brands.
that coach looks pretty darn good.

the small cabinets above driver do not block the view

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor, thor motor coach, tuscany