Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2008, 03:25 PM   #1

Does anyone know what type rubber roof we have. I think the dealer said EPDM when we bought it but as we all know we usually have other thoughts running through our minds at the time. I need to replace an antenna and want use the corect sealant. I have used pure silicone caulk on commercial building EPDM roofs. I don't trust the competency of whoever I can get on the phone at the dealer and can't find anything in the M/H owners papers. \

Hope everyone had happy holidays

Thanks
gene2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2008, 03:25 PM   #2

Does anyone know what type rubber roof we have. I think the dealer said EPDM when we bought it but as we all know we usually have other thoughts running through our minds at the time. I need to replace an antenna and want use the corect sealant. I have used pure silicone caulk on commercial building EPDM roofs. I don't trust the competency of whoever I can get on the phone at the dealer and can't find anything in the M/H owners papers. \

Hope everyone had happy holidays

Thanks
Old 01-09-2008, 08:04 AM   #3

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
Welcome gene2 , to iRV2.com .
yes it is a EPDM rubber roof system . get a tube of DICOR self leveling sealant it comes in calk size tube 10.3 oz for about $5.60 . real easly to use around vents and antenna and also sat system . it stops leaks real fast also.put it on thick it will level by itself. great for where the front or rear cap is seal , because after about a year it will start to dry and show cracks. I went up and had to put some DICOR on both front and rear cap on top at a few places only. Always carry a tube with you on the road.
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:05 AM   #4

forget the caulk, it just don't get it. get some "eternabond" tape ,and tape any seams you can find on the roof. then you can forget about leaks, period.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #5

Write to Four winds via e-mail with your vin#
Half way through 2007 they started using tpo roofing membrane.Its differant than epdm.I am not sure Dicor lap sealent is approved.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice everyone. Mine was built in August 2006 so I will use the Dicor caulk.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:33 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reply </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gene 2 , Glad to be of help.. Now while you are up on the roof , now is a great time to installed your new Trac Vision r6 in - motion sat system and watch all the games and sports channel , and pay per view movies while cruising down the road.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:31 AM   #8

I did some research on Eternabond Tape and the outcome is I going to seal all seams on the roof with Eternabond Tape. Camping world ask for $74.00 for 4"x37'but I went to RVupgrades.com and order it for about $51.04 and I am getting 4"X50'. So, when the weather gets better I'm would be on the roof.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:16 AM   #9

All my lap joints are starting to crack and dry out,so time for me to make a decision.I am definitly going to use eternibond tape on the cap/roof seal,front and back.I will never have to remove those.The rest of the roof ,like the vents I will reseal with lap sealent

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:02 AM   #10

I am going to have enough of the tape that I could do all on top of the roof..
Old 06-22-2008, 10:59 AM   #11

my roof is tpo and i would think all the hurricanes and windsport for the last couple of years are "tpo". don't bother with the caulk use the etearnabond tape and never look back!
Old 06-22-2008, 11:14 AM   #12

I'm thinking of doing the roof with that white stuff, I guess is a coating from Dicor first and then do the tape or tape first and then Dicor. Once done no more climbing on the roof for a while. I feel I am too heavy for the roof.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:31 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reply </div></BLOCKQUOTE>