Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2008, 04:26 PM   #1

I recently purchased a Hurricane 34B and I'm curious of common problems with this brand or model that I should look out for. My parents had a few mh's when I was growing up and they still do. I have had 2 travel trailers and 1 class C before this class A, so I'm not new to the scene. I know they all have their quirks. Just looking for insight on the ones common to the brand / model.
adesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2008, 05:50 PM   #2

Not sure if I can sat these items are specific to the model but they are my experiences with the 34B since I bought it new in September '07.

Dash bounces causing a CD to constantly skip making them virtually unplayable. The radio/CD has completely stopped working twice.

Slide wipers do not fold properly causing rainwater to enter the MH.

Our microwave and back-up monitor have both stopped working.

Other than those and the usual pain in the rear items that most, if not all, MH's will have go wrong I cannot complain.

I am picking up my MH on Wednesday from the dealer after getting a few warranty items fixed. Hopefully all is working well for our trip to Disney for Christmas.

I hope you enjoy the 34B. PM me if you have any questions and I will try to help you out.

2007 Chevy Cobalt (5-speed manual)
Skrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:16 AM   #3

skrams, what do you mean when you say your slide wipers don't fold properly and let water in. is your slide all tthe way out or all the way in when rain comes in. i didn't think the slide wipers alone would keep rain out.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:25 AM   #4

The usual fix for the slide seal problem is applying a strip of 'no skid' tape on the slide out surface parallel to the seal lip. The tape will grab the seal lip when the slide out is going in or out and force it in to the proper position.

2004 Hurricane 32R w/Demco bar and Cavalier toad
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by billyb:
skrams, what do you mean when you say your slide wipers don't fold properly and let water in. is your slide all tthe way out or all the way in when rain comes in. i didn't think the slide wipers alone would keep rain out.
When my slides are out the wipers do not fold correctly, they want to stay in the position they would be in when the slide is closed. So, when the slides are out and it rains I get a seeping of water coming inside from the roof of the slide.

I have tried lubrication of the wipers but no luck. The dealer has told me they made some adjustments to the slides so I will see later this week when I pick it up.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by JimD:
The usual fix for the slide seal problem is applying a strip of 'no skid' tape on the slide out surface parallel to the seal lip. The tape will grab the seal lip when the slide out is going in or out and force it in to the proper position.
Sounds like a good idea that may just do the trick. What kind of tape do you use?

Old 12-15-2008, 10:20 AM   #7

skrams, i'm just trying to understand how your seal setup works. is there a rubber gasket around the perimeter of the slide that seals it to the rain from the outside or just the slide wiper.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:47 AM   #8

The tape that most folks use is like sticky sandpaper maybe an inch wide. It is typically used in bathtubs, showers, on stairs, etc. where a non slip surface is needed for safety. Should be available at your local home improvement store.

2004 Hurricane 32R w/Demco bar and Cavalier toad
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:00 PM   #9

Skram, the wipers should just wipe the water off...the rubber around the edge of the slide is what should seal the water out...yes?

As far as problems, I had the usual...nothing major. The only one close to major was that the wipers on the dinette slide were coming off and they needed to be replaced.

I also had a major squeak in the dash which they fixed.

I had the famous "Hurricane Whistle" which I fixed by putting black gutter screen on the inside of the grill. Doesn't stop any air flow, but disrupts the wind that caused the whistle.

The other thing is that the shower surround was not caulked very well and it leaked. Seems to be common. I fixed that.

Another leak I had was coming in ONLY when the Dinette slide were closed while raining. Turns out it was the caulk along the outside moulding was open and water seeped in and ran along the inside of the bottom of the slide. That was odd. (Not a manufacture thing, just dry caulk).

Oh yea...one other thing...the water inlet valve cracked (replaced).

2007 CR-V w/BlueOX Aventa LX tow bar
cltkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by billyb:
skrams, i'm just trying to understand how your seal setup works. is there a rubber gasket around the perimeter of the slide that seals it to the rain from the outside or just the slide wiper.
I only get a leak when the slide is out. When it is closed the seal around the perimeter is good and tight. But when the slide is out the wiper (around the perimeter of the opening in the MH wall) does not flip out as it should. I like the idea of the tape, so if it is not fixed when I pick it up on Thursday I will have to do it myself.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:21 PM   #11

One thing that I noticed in mine is wind noise coming from the upper left corner of the drivers windshield. I haven't had the opportunity to travel in the passenger seat so I don't know about that side. I only get it at highway speeds. The windshield looks seated properly and does not leak, however if you look at the top corner of the windshield from inside you can plainly see the rear unfinished side of the fiberglass cap. I'm guessing this sound is just due to the flat front pushing through the wind and no sound deadening insulation where I see the rear of the fiberglass cap. I'm really comparing it to my class c which was like driving a van so it had insulation, trim panels etc. and I didn't hear a thing. I'm guessing it's not going to be quiet like that or like a car. Does anyone else have this, or should I be concerned?
Old 12-20-2008, 02:25 AM   #12

you can see the backside of the front cap while in the driver seat? if so i don't think that should be i know i can't in our 32e hurricane.
next to no wind noise from the windshield in our unit.but they are different than a class c.

toad:2007 honda crv
larry penner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:25 PM   #13

I can't see it from the drivers seat while sitting down. I have to stand and lean over and look up. (foward of the sun visor)
Old 12-21-2008, 03:45 AM   #14

i'm not sure but i don't think that's right i would talk to my dealer,we can't see the inside of our end cap on our unit.

toad:2007 honda crv
larry penner is offline   Reply With Quote