RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #1

2012 Thor A C E

Hello,
We are looking at the A C E 30.1 to purchase. We would like any feed back
that any owners would like to share with us. What do you think of your units
good or bad? Which options did you chose?

Thanks Doug McD.
Morro Bay, Ca.

dmcduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
I own the Thor ACE 29.1 and have owned it for 1year next week. it is an entry level coach that has not disappointed me at all. I have had a few minor issues that needed fixed and or replaced. Thor has completed all request without any hesitation. Mine was fully loaded except the bedroom TV. Full body paint looks great too. the only thing I reported back to Thor after 90 days at their request was I thought they could use better adhesives in some spots where parts just were not adhered good. the top step had to be reinforced by me because I thought I could do a better job than the dealer in repairing it, and I did. All in all great coach and Thor has been awesome to me.

Bdhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:36 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So far we love our 29.1 model. There are things that I wish it had or that were different but like Bdhicks stated - it is an entry level MH and it doesn't have a lot of the bells and whistles of many of the others. My biggest complaint is the way the radio/monitoring screen is set and the controls for the AC/heat. They are not very easy to see and use if you are in the driver's seat.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #4

Caution, the drop down bed is only rated for 250 lbs! not enough for 2 average size adults. And the couch and dinette bed are only suited for those a hair over 5 feet long.

In other words 3 adults max or 2 adults and several children...

We are 2 adults and a 6 and 8 yo.... Works for us!
Don't let a salesperson tell you it sleeps 8.

Fit and finish.... you get what you pay for ( relative to other models)

Waiting for snow to melt and get ours on the road....
Tv Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
I thought the overhead bunk was rated for 400lbs. I had 2 college age kids on ours for a week traveled from Portland to Vegas and back no problems at all.
Bdhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #6

Thats good to hear. I noticed the sticker on the new models at the RV show . Our salesman was all of 250 lbs and was hangin and swinging to show how solid it was.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #7

Thor A C E

Thanks for your replies. All good info. Any one else?
dmcduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:51 AM   #8

Ace 29.1

Got my ACE in June of 11. So far just a few minor issues mostly adequately addressed by (myself) and Houston-Campers World where unit was purchased. As indicated primarily entry level MH which to date suits DW and I just fine. Excellent chassis and the V-10 is rated excellent. Interior is better than dirt camping, and we are mobile!. Suits us for now although I need to get up and inspect top cap for issues as described by ShadowT. Retiring at end of this year and then DW and I "Have Rods Will Travel", fishing that is!. I do believe it's necessary to recognize that Motorhomes do not at price ranges below say 175k have the quality that should be expected for the monies paid. I suspect if you can pay 250K+ perhaps You Get What You Paid For!. Hope you like yours as much as DW and I like ours, for now anyway.
ToledoCharli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcduck View Post
Hello,
We are looking at the A C E 30.1 to purchase. We would like any feed back
that any owners would like to share with us. What do you think of your units
good or bad? Which options did you chose?

Thanks Doug McD.
Morro Bay, Ca.
We have had our Ace for a little over a year. We have put 10000 + miles on it. We really like it to travel in for the 2 of us. What you get for the price is great and the service is good. I usually drive 55-60 and get about 8 miles to the gallon. It takes a little getting use to driving in a cross wind. It has lots of power and is fun to drive. All motorhomes have issues and the the Ace is no exception. There have been a lot of screws that were tighten to tight and the heads broke off. There is some knocking noise in the slide when hitting bumps that we hear but the the dealer cannot. The big issue that we have just dealt with is the Electronic Box that controls the charging system. On a recent trip the battery light started coming on and then going off. The coach ran fine and everything worked good. After getting gas the coach would not start. We found that the Chassis Disconnect had tripped. That happened one more time on our way home but the switch would not activate without some coaxing. We finally got it started and headed for home driving 500 miles without shutting it off. The next day I was going to take it to the Dealer and the disconnect had tripped. I had to run the generator to get the battery up so I could activate the switch. As I was leaving my drive the disconnect tripped and the coach shut down. I was able to get it started and held my breath until I reached the dealer. The dealer found that the charging control box was fried. As it turned out ours is not the only one that has had a problem. Thor said they found a problem in the design of the box and have come up with a fix. I have mine back and they say it is fixed. It took about a week to get it fixed. That is a pretty long time to spend in a Motel while on a trip but a pretty short time for Thor to redesign the box. My suggestion to those of you that have Aces that you check with Thor Tech Support about it. If it were to shut down while going down the road it could be serious.
rstrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:38 AM   #10

Question Electronic box

Hello Rstrater- The location of the "electronic box" is I am presuming the box under the bed OR ???
ToledoCharli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:34 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Guys ... Check out my post about a mod I made for the fold down bed.
"Thor ACE Fold down bed support"
mgheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
My husband and I just bought a 29.2. We love it so far....except... I wish the TV wasn't stationary and would swivel. I also wish there were outside speakers. I also wish the TV would go thru the speakers like the radio does. Why are we even watching TV while RV'ing? NASCAR. :-)

But for two people with two large dogs and an occassional mother-in-law, it is the perfect size for us.

I preferred the 29.2 floorplan because the kitchen has a better layout.

Get the automatic leveling jacks.
SillyAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #13

There should be a release lever by the TV. That will let it swing out. ( the one by the main door).
Old 04-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
I did run a 25 ft AV cable with RCA plugs from the TV aV out in the back to the radio R-AUX in the front. The radio connection consists of RCA plug recepticals in the back of it. If you cannot get the radio out of the dash as was my problem, you can reach the connections quite easily taking the drink holder in front off.

When you watch TV switch the radio to R-AUX and adjust volume.
The cable can be pushed along the carpet, behind the couch and up in the door frame.

vrugt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor