Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2020, 04:39 PM   #1

Exclamation 2012 Thor ACE 29.1 Water Heater Bypass Value

Hello. I have a 2012 ACE 29.1 and I cannot find any information related to the Water Heater Bypass Value. I have drained everything, even hooked up the AntiFreeze bottle, which is immediately sucked into the Hot Water Heater. Unlike some others, 29.2 for example, there are no water pipes under the bed. Dseabee
Dseabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2020, 07:02 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
[Mod Edit]

I don't know about your unit specifically. However, you should be able to locate your water heater from the outside. It'll probably be a metal panel (though it may be painted) with an exhaust vent on it. Once you've located it, look in the same spot on the inside of the MH. You'll probably be able to find a removable false wall or panel. Once you unscrew and remove that wall, you should have access to the back of the water heater, and the bypass valves should be right there.

Note that you probably also need to drain your water heater. Filling it with antifreeze likely isn't good enough; it'll be too diluted. On the exterior access to the water heater should be a drain plug (probably plastic/nylon) that you can unscrew.
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:10 AM   #3

Your water heater appears to be located under the bath sink cabinet. Probably against the exterior wall. The outside access is to the rear of the rear wheel on driver's side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	29.1 WH.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	310008

Click image for larger version

Name:	29.1 wh2.png
Views:	229
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	310009

On my 2015 29.3 Id close the in valve and the out valve to the water heater. Open the valve that connects the hot an cold lines together. On mine the three valves were located behind a removable panel on the inside of the coach.

Drain the water heater, on mine done from outside, removing plug to water heater.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:14 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplewide View Post
On my 2015 29.3 Id close the in valve and the out valve to the water heater. Open the valve that connects the hot an cold lines together. On mine the three valves were located behind a removable panel on the inside of the coach.
For the benefit of the novice, a little more detail: There will be a cold water line (should be blue) going into the water heater, a hot water line (should be red) coming out of the water heater, and a short section (probably blue), called the bypass, connecting the two. There will be a valve on each. The valve is probably an oval and can be rotated 90 degrees. When the oval is parallel to the tubing, the valve is open; when it's perpendicular, the valve is closed. Normal operation will have the cold and hot water valves open, and the bypass valve closed. This allows cold water to flow into the heater, where it is heated and then exits as hot water. To bypass the water heater, you close the cold and hot valves, and open the bypass valve. This prevents water from getting into or coming out from the water heater. And because the bypass valve is open, "hot" water comes directly from the cold line.

I know that this is all immediately obvious and really simple to a lot of people, but that's not how it was for me when I started.
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:48 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Unless the dealer ordered the unit with a bypass valve you may not have one. (my unit was new and did not have one but I jawbone/strongarmed the dealer into installing one).

My bypass is at the back of the water heater and is a small brass valve and you just about be an acrobat to reach through under the sink to get to it. You have to give it a quarter turn to bypass the water heater.

I would not recommend puting antifreeze in the water heater as you will end up with smelly hot water.

To winterize my unit I drain the water heater, (take out the nylon plug and leave it behind the water heater door), drain the fresh water tank and open the low point valves. After draining close the fresh water drain tap, close the low point drain taps (mine are hidden under a bottom drawer that I have to remove) turn the bypass valve. pour 4 gallons (maybe you can use less) of the edible anti freeze that I buy at Walmart ($3.00 ea) in the fresh water tank. Turn on the pump and open each tap in the camper including shower, toilet and o/s shower (hot and cold) and run until "pink" comes out.

I usually put a part bottle of winshield antifreeze in the toilet that I flush to the blacwater tank.

When you de winterize you can rinse your fresh water tank using baking soda to eliminate anfreeze smell/taste.
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, heat, heater, thor, water, water heater