RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2017, 12:23 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
2013 THOR Hurricane V-10 Triton whistle

This week my V-10 triton during acceleration began making a whistle/horn sound when accelerating from a stop. All runs good but sound is somewhat annoying. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Adam1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2017, 01:14 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the grill. For my model year, 2006, Thor used 1/4" square grid of plastic material. Not sure how else to describe it. I removed the grill and covered it with heavy bug screen held in place with hot glue. Stopped the whistle and has also kept the multiple coolers cleaner. Didn't notice any lose of cooling capacity.

If it's not your grill start looking for air leaks starting at the air filter up to the throttle body. Heavy acceleration will demand a lot of air.

Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:46 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Thanks
Old 01-02-2017, 05:38 AM   #4

Also look at how your access door fits. I had a loud whistle at about 50 mph, after adjusting the hood for a better whistle went away.
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:20 PM   #5

I also have a 2013 Thor Hurricane with Ford V10. We bought ours new and did
remember hearing that whistle/horn sound when accelerating from a stop, analyzing
it, this happen only on the first gear and goes away when it changes gear. I was going to do a transmission service but since it's still new (has only 3000 miles on it) and also have a problem of constant shifting gear during a slight grade on the road, I decided and hoping the 5 star tuner is the fix. After the update with the tuner that whistle sound and constant shifting goes away and I notice my first to second is more quicker to change and more smoother too when it change to higher gears.
muscob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:20 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
I still have the whistle

I still have this whistle. It's not the hood for sure. Just don't know.

I have not purchased the 5-star tune yet but not sure that will fix it either.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1219 View Post
I still have this whistle. It's not the hood for sure. Just don't know.

I have not purchased the 5-star tune yet but not sure that will fix it either.

Five Star won't fix your whistle. Depending on which model you have you can call Thor and they will send you a grill insert, many people have had to do this to stop whistling sound.
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:34 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Thanks - I just sent an email to THOR

Thanks.

I just sent an email to THOR.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:59 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
I sent THOR an email per posts - here is my response

THOR responded with the following to my request for the grille kit:

Good morning!

There isnít a ďkitĒ for that issue. What we recommend is that you do a couple of things. First, remove the grid screen from the inside of the grille. Itís only held on by a few screws and is easy to remove. Then drive it and see if the noise disappears. Second, you may need to add some sealant to the inside of the A-pillars on the inside of the coach.

If you still want a grid of some sort inside of the grille, then you can replace the original with a hardware cloth but you have to be very careful that you donít get one that will block the airflow and overheat your engine.

I hope that you find this helpful.

** I will try what he said but each time I ask Thor for something I get things like this.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:15 PM   #10

A couple question.

Since you mention that this noise happen only when you're accelerating from stop:
Does the noise disappeared when it shift to second or to third or to fourth or to higher gear?
Or at what speed does the noise disappeared?
Does this happen when the engine is cold or it always do this in any temperature?
Did you make any changes in your intake system like change the air filter to K&N?
While the transmission in park(not on drive) do you hear this noise when you rev-up the engine slowly from idle to up 3000rpm?
Old 05-01-2017, 08:40 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscob View Post
A couple question.

Since you mention that this noise happen only when you're accelerating from stop:
Does the noise disappeared when it shift to second or to third or to fourth or to higher gear?
Or at what speed does the noise disappeared?
Does this happen when the engine is cold or it always do this in any temperature?
Did you make any changes in your intake system like change the air filter to K&N?
While the transmission in park(not on drive) do you hear this noise when you rev-up the engine slowly from idle to up 3000rpm?
1. Noise disappears once out of first gear.
2. No specific speed that I noticed.
3. Any temperature
4. I have made no changes to intake or changed the air filter
5. Rev-up the engine in park you do NOT hear the sound

I guess I will remove the grill and take it for a spin. If I still hear it it's not the grill. I have tightened the hood latches and that made no change.

Thanks for the any ideas.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:04 PM   #12

The noise you're hearing is coming from your transmission torque converter. I'm hearing that too in my 2013 Hurricane when I bought it new and it has only 1300 miles..It's annoying. I was going to service my transmission but analyzing it, that noise or sound happens only between 1st gear going 2nd gear. I've notice, it stay longer in 1st gear before it shift. The only fix , is to reprogram the trans ECM shifting
point. That's why I've decided to purchase the 5 star tuning. It takes care that problem. It shift from 1st to 2nd quicker and all shifting point are more smoother and barely I notice that sound.

Tags
hurricane, thor