Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2014 Palazzo Overhead bunk issues

I could use to hear if anyone else has this problem, or suggestions or remedy...

I lowered the bed to try out the air mattress and then the bed wouldn't go up far enough on one side to put the locking pin back in. (Passenger side) It leaves a small amount of the drilled hole (Lower one) visible, but not enough to get the safety pin in.

I drove the MH to my storage, about 5 miles, and the bed progressively dropped as I drove, so the locking pins are needed.

The dealer may have to do this under warrantee, but I think if the motor could drive a few more inches, I'd be set. Or there was an over-ride - or adjustment?
js43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2013, 11:25 PM   #2

When I have the pins in on my bunk, I have to make sure there is a bit of tension or they fall out when driving. Your issue makes me wonder if the bracket assembly where the pin is placed is somewhat adjustable. Mine seems too low and yours seems too high? I will have to take a look and see if there is some means of adjustment.
HeavyH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:21 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyH2O View Post
When I have the pins in on my bunk, I have to make sure there is a bit of tension or they fall out when driving. Your issue makes me wonder if the bracket assembly where the pin is placed is somewhat adjustable. Mine seems too low and yours seems too high? I will have to take a look and see if there is some means of adjustment.
I appreciate you looking at it. I removed the vinyl pillar cover and the white bracket underneath e completely hides the motor assembly from view. The track sits on a welded shelf of sorts so it doesn't seem that there is a way to elevate the track assembly.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by js43 View Post
I appreciate you looking at it. I removed the vinyl pillar cover and the white bracket underneath e completely hides the motor assembly from view. The track sits on a welded shelf of sorts so it doesn't seem that there is a way to elevate the track assembly.
Has anyone contacted Thor Customer Support to discuss this to see if there is an adjustment?

Ph#: 574-584-3388

Email: Warrantysupport@TMCRV.com
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post

Has anyone contacted Thor Customer Support to discuss this to see if there is an adjustment?

Ph#: 574-584-3388

Email: Warrantysupport@TMCRV.com
I got the manual to play with the limit settings, and amount of travel. I'll be working on it this weekend, and with any luck will be able to report that the issue is resolved.
The doc actually does discuss this issue, I was unaware that by removing the keyed switch from the back of the cabinet there is a procedure with some pots on the board... Pretty cool if it works out.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
All fixed now with new "up" limits, despite the motors having a bit if lash where they creep down a bit after hitting the top setting. A bit of over drive the stop point gets them to creep right into place.
I did replace the weak Oem pins with some hardened longer ones to keep them from falling out.
A bit of down tension should keep things rattle free.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:39 PM   #7

Quote:
All fixed now with new "up" limits, despite the motors having a bit if lash where they creep down a bit after hitting the top setting. A bit of over drive the stop point gets them to creep right into place.
I did replace the weak Oem pins with some hardened longer ones to keep them from falling out.
A bit of down tension should keep things rattle free.
thats what I do and it seems to hold it in place pretty good.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
thats what I do and it seems to hold it in place pretty good.
On my last visit to Thor, the DS loft motor was replaced because it was slipping.

Bill, 33.2
Luvrkds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I made an interesting change this past weekend. My guests were complaining about the air mattress being too noisy when "moving around at night "
Yeah right.. Moving around.. Anyway, we went out and bought a memory foam mattress, that is bout 3.5 inches thick.
Of course the bed locking pins can't be placed as normal with a thick Mattress, but besides sacrificing a few overhead inches, I wanted to keep the stock setup.
I bought two u pins ( can take pictures if any interests) and drilled a corresponding hole lower ( where the bed naturally stopped with the new Mattress in place) and used the top part of the u pin ( in position like a "c" ) to go into the oem holes, and the bottom hole for the bottom leg of the "c" to lock the bed in place.
Test was a 800 mile round trip drive that went perfectly, and gave my guests that "noise free sleep" there were expecting.
I can post a few pics if interested to show off the very simple mod, that affords a regular mattress permanently in place rather thanthe air bed.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #10

I have a 2013 33.2 and my ovhd bed doesn't have any pins or look like there is any place for them. It seems to stay up just fine when traveling, am I missing something here, does anyone else with a 33.2 have pins?

Bill
OC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:16 AM   #11

Quote:
I made an interesting change this past weekend. My guests were complaining about the air mattress being too noisy when "moving around at night "
Yeah right.. Moving around.. Anyway, we went out and bought a memory foam mattress, that is bout 3.5 inches thick.
Of course the bed locking pins can't be placed as normal with a thick Mattress, but besides sacrificing a few overhead inches, I wanted to keep the stock setup.
I bought two u pins ( can take pictures if any interests) and drilled a corresponding hole lower ( where the bed naturally stopped with the new Mattress in place) and used the top part of the u pin ( in position like a "c" ) to go into the oem holes, and the bottom hole for the bottom leg of the "c" to lock the bed in place.
Test was a 800 mile round trip drive that went perfectly, and gave my guests that "noise free sleep" there were expecting.
I can post a few pics if interested to show off the very simple mod, that affords a regular mattress permanently in place rather thanthe air bed.
i just bought some memory foam as well, the OHB seems to creep down on mine and has a tendency to rattle (which drives me nuts) when it is not snug up against the ceiling. Im hoping the foam has enough cushion to dampen some of this rattle... can you provide a pic of your setup, I may have to drill new holes for the pins as well. TIA!
Old 07-03-2013, 06:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post

i just bought some memory foam as well, the OHB seems to creep down on mine and has a tendency to rattle (which drives me nuts) when it is not snug up against the ceiling. Im hoping the foam has enough cushion to dampen some of this rattle... can you provide a pic of your setup, I may have to drill new holes for the pins as well. TIA!
The only way I can keep mine from making the rattle is to put down pressure on the pins??
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Bill View Post
I have a 2013 33.2 and my ovhd bed doesn't have any pins or look like there is any place for them. It seems to stay up just fine when traveling, am I missing something here, does anyone else with a 33.2 have pins?

Bill
U might the lucky one.. My 33.2 did not have pins when I got it. The drivers side would sag down 8 inches or so. I ran it up an stuck a small screwdriver in the hole that is in the rail. While at Thor for other things they put the proper pins. I guess if yours stay up tight and does not rattle you should be just fine.
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
The only way I can keep mine from making the rattle is to put down pressure on the pins??
that is the whole idea behind the memory foam... to put downward pressure on the pins. When I put pressure on the pins by bringing the bunk down, after a long drive the pressure lessened by motor creak (like someone mentioned here). So Im relying on thick foam to keep the pressure on the pins rather than the bunk motor... thats the idea anyway. We'll see how this works.

Note: the overhead bunk didnt really rattle much till I went down DC (I95, I495), Baltimore area... bad roads really shook things up and the rattle was pretty bad. Though I dont expect to have the bad rattle on good long highways.