RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2020, 02:37 PM   #1

2015 Thor ACE 30.1. Electrical issue!

I just put in two brand new interstate deep cycling house batteries. I bring it home put my coat up on its levelers plugged it in were sure power like I normally do,came out three days later and the batteries are dead! Jacks wont retract! Everything works fine on shore power except the generator will not start and the levelers will not go up and down. As a 76-year-old widow, Im running out of ideas. To come to the house mobile units want $135 an hour minimum two hours!

I have a Hunch it might be a short in the store and use switch That is right inside the front door. Question is: is that a toggle switch or a switch that flips to store or to use? That is right inside the front door. Question is: is that a toggle switch or a switch that flips to store or to use?

Gosh any suggestions would be so appreciated.

Longj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2020, 03:01 PM   #2

The "store/use switch" is a remote switch for a solenoid that does the actual on and off switching. Pretty high current, so that's why they use the solenoid. I doubt that this is the cause of your problem, though, because if you're plugged in to shore power it should be charging the batteries.

I'm pretty sure your Ace has an "automatic transfer switch" that flips between generator and shore power, and the generator is the default position. Your transfer switch could be stuck in the generator position, so no shore power gets to your inverter/charger. The transfer switch is usually a solenoid and sometimes you can tap it with a screwdriver handle to free it up. The transfer switch is usually the first thing in line from the shore power cord, usually a plastic or metal box a few inches by a few inches... Another possibility is a loose connection (or 2) inside the transfer switch box. If you can open the transfer switch box cover (unplug from power first!) look for little dabs of soot around the screw terminals, wires that are discolored (the white wire turning tan or brown) or that have melted insulation. If you find things like that the fix is relative fast and cheap unless significant damage was done to the wires or the switch terminals.

Finally are you for-sure getting power to the outlet your ACE is plugged in to?

Good luck and let us know how things work out.

Old 05-10-2020, 03:15 PM   #3

[QUOTE=Solo_RV_Guy;5257855

I'm pretty sure your Ace has an "automatic transfer switch" that flips between generator and shore power, and the generator is the default position. Your transfer switch could be stuck in the generator position, so no shore power gets to your inverter/charger.

Good luck and let us know how things work out.[/QUOTE]

The generator is the PRORITY position, not the DEFAULT position on the automatic transfer switch.
It switchs to generator mode ONLY if it senses 120 volts from the generator AND goes thru a 30 second generator stabilization delay.
This is how they all work and your description is wrong.

If it was to " stick ", that could only happen after running on generator the last time it was powered up.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 03:28 PM   #4

It may be that the Store / Use switch that controls a latching solenoid is acting up but its also a strong possibility that the battery installer left off a cable to the batteries.

With the cable off, everything will work while on shore power, as you stated things do, but the charging from the electrical systems converter/charger isn't getting to the batteries. That does not explain the new batteries going dead in 3 days.

There will be a circuit breaker near the batteries for the generator cable, or its possable the generator cable isn't connected properly. Did the generator run after the new batteries were installed ?

Does the main engine start ? Its possable that the levelers and generator use the starter battery, so you may have 2 issues.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 04:14 PM   #5

Thanks for the prompt reply. I will gives this a “look see” tomorrow!
Old 05-10-2020, 04:16 PM   #6

Thanks, see it is going through a surge protector and all lights are green!
Old 05-12-2020, 12:52 PM   #7

house batteries

When you run the rv engine it should also charge the house batteries. You might try letting the engine run for 30 minutes to see if the house batteries charge enough to start the generator. Or at least retract your levelers so you can drive it to a repair place.
bsheet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 02:38 PM   #8

I've had the same issue this year and trying to figure it out. The only switch is the on/store switch. Is there another place to look from the generator to the batteries?
robertsonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longj12 View Post
I just put in two brand new interstate deep cycling house batteries. I bring it home put my coat up on its levelers plugged it in we’re sure power like I normally do,came out three days later and the batteries are dead! Jacks won’t retract! Everything works fine on shore power except the generator will not start and the levelers will not go up and down. As a 76-year-old widow, I’m running out of ideas. To come to the house mobile units want $135 an hour minimum two hours!

I have a Hunch it might be a short in the store and use switch That is right inside the front door. Question is: is that a toggle switch or a switch that flips to store or to use? That is right inside the front door. Question is: is that a toggle switch or a switch that flips to store or to use?

Gosh any suggestions would be so appreciated.
You could put a battery charger on the coach batteries long enough to get a good charge on them. Then see if everything works. If everything is OK then you have an issue of no charging current to the coach batteries. Could be converter, isolation relay, BIRD module, Store/Use switch, circuit breakers, or the wiring and connections in between any of them. Like Twinboat said, suspect proper battery installation. If you still have issues with the coach batteries fully charged then there is probably more than one issue involved.

Let us know what you find or do please.

Tags
ace, electric, electrical, thor