Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2020, 02:53 PM   #1

2016 Thor Outlaw LS GFCI issues

Does anyone know what is daisychained onto the GFCI outlet in the bathroom or where the load wires route? I think my GFCI went bad, replaced with a new one, and still can't get the reset to stay in. There is a single set on the 'line' side of the outlet and I'm getting a 120 reading on the wire. But on the 'load' side there are 2 sets coming out and I believe the circuit splits to the garage and living area. I've got outlets out all over the coach. The only one's not affected are the ones on the inverter line (tv in garage, tv in loft, tv in living area, switch box cabinet next to entry door all work). Fridge still runs. Microwave still runs. But I have outlets that are not marked 'GFCI Protected' that are also out. Would they have run the entire coach on the same GFCI or is there another issue that I need to track down?
Noble6047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2020, 09:04 AM   #2

short?

I do not have an Outlaw so can't speak to specifics. But, if the GFCI will not set that likely means a short somewhere. To trouble shoot you will need to nail down how the outlets are daisy chained. This unfortunately may be trial and error approach. Just remove one of the outlets. See if the GFCI will then reset. If it does, then the short is somewhere down stream of the removed outlet. See which other outlets are then not working and you will understand how that daisy chain is likely routed. If the GFCI will not reset, try again by removing a different outlet.

Good luck!
bsheet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:23 AM   #3

I figured as much, just hoping someone would have something that would eliminate a lot of the guess work. Given that I have 2 legs coming off the GFCI, I can at least pull one leg off and retest. Hopefully that will eliminate about 1/2 the coach.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:41 AM   #4

I don't know if this will be any help , but after helping a friend with a similar issue , the problem came back to the fridge being in need of defrosting , seems the ice maker in his fridge was a 120 volt item and the frost build up had compromised the wiring connection in the freezer compartment .
I've also seen other posts where , members had issues with GFCIs after having their coaches washed , so checking the fridge outlet is in order.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:34 PM   #5

Good tip, but not it. It's a residential fridge and runs off the inverter. And every outlet that runs off the inverter is functional.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:22 AM   #6

From bad to worse....

In my effort to fix the electrical issue, I've made it worse, and now measuring 8 -20v coming into the gfci. Does anyone have any insight into where the 'failure points' could be on a 2016 Outlaw?

Everything on the inverter line is functional and pushing 120v to all of the outlets on that line. Every other outlet is effectively dead, and the gfci in the bathroom will not reset (probably due to less than 120 coming into the outlet). I started to pull apart the breaker panel, but honestly got scared about making things worse than they are. I did open up all of the outlets in the front of the coach to visually inspect and didn't see anything that would give me pause.

Oh, and I did rip apart one of the outlets with the pinch type connectors. They are junk!
Old 06-01-2020, 10:26 AM   #7

Low power on the supply side of a GFCI should trace back to a connection issue in the circuit breaker box , as usually the GFCI would be the first item after the C/B in the daisy chain .
Power off at the supply and remove the cover , tighten the screw on the C/B where the wire connects , check ALL connections while you have the cover off .

YES; unfortunately the outlets RV manufacturers are allowed to use are JUNK!
Old 06-15-2020, 06:52 AM   #8

I think I finally found the source of my electrical issues. This was on the 50A main breaker. Not too sure how this happened, but glad I caught this before I burned the coach down.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200613_134413.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	289668Click image for larger version

Name:	20200613_133609.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	289669
Old 06-15-2020, 11:42 AM   #9

Good catch .
I'm thinking you've found your issue .

Safe travels
Old 07-19-2021, 11:16 AM   #10

I had been having problems with the gfci on my 2015 Thor Outlaw and found a wire was shorted out on the exterior TV mount. It finally broke the wire but did not trip the breaker. When I found the issue I was surprised the wires were run under the TV mounting bracket frame that was sharp, it cut through the insulation of 2 wires. We had to remove the exterior TV and the mounting bracket from the wall of the MoHo to access and fix the damage. This was a factory issue.
NorthrnRVguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outlaw, thor