RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Thor Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2020, 05:21 PM   #1

30' 2003 Thor Hurricane - outlet problem

Hi, My name is Mike and I bought this RV last August and have been on the road since Oct 15th - and loving it.
However, I have several problems I haven't been able to solve so I am hoping someone here can help.
The first and most irritating is the outlet above the sink. It works fine when I am plugged into an offshore outlet. But when boondocking after a few days it doesn't get power at all from the generator. I checked all the circuits and fuses and none of them seem to be the problem. Since it is above the sink I thought there might be a GFI but it is not in the outlet itself (the bathroom has a GFI outlet) and I can't find a reset for it. However, when I plug back into shore power it suddenly works again. Everything else on the driver's side works so I have to use an extension cord to connect the coffee pot and small water heater into an outlet on the passenger side.
Any ideas?

Thanks
Mike

Sang Froid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2020, 05:35 PM   #2

A guess is that the outlet runs off an inverter and the batteries are running down after a few days of dry camping.

Do you leave your battery disconnect switch on. Its by the door and should be on unless in storage.

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 05:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sang Froid View Post
Hi, My name is Mike and I bought this RV last August and have been on the road since Oct 15th - and loving it.
However, I have several problems I haven't been able to solve so I am hoping someone here can help.
The first and most irritating is the outlet above the sink. It works fine when I am plugged into an offshore outlet. But when boondocking after a few days it doesn't get power at all from the generator. I checked all the circuits and fuses and none of them seem to be the problem. Since it is above the sink I thought there might be a GFI but it is not in the outlet itself (the bathroom has a GFI outlet) and I can't find a reset for it. However, when I plug back into shore power it suddenly works again. Everything else on the driver's side works so I have to use an extension cord to connect the coffee pot and small water heater into an outlet on the passenger side.
Any ideas?

Thanks Mike
The outlet in question is in fact on a GFI circuit. Most likely supplied by your inverter. Most MH have 2 GFI outlets. Must likely other outlets are out at the same time. It sounds like the inverter feeds the outlet by pass thru while on shore power but not when on battery power that the inverter needs to power the outlet. Or some variation of that theory.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:21 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum, it's great to have you here with us.
Camper25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:31 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share. Read the various threads here and ask questions as they come up or add info if you can.

Sorry I cannot help but it seems others have given you some ideas.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 09:00 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Mike! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Don't know about that outlet. Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 09:47 AM   #7

Outlet problem

Thanks for all the responses/answers to my question. I donít have an inverter, just a converter. Also, that is the only outlet that doesnít work. I also thought there must be another gfi for this outlet but why not a gfi outlet such as in the bathroom? I have searched everywhere for one.
So, if the gfi for this outlet is on the converter where do I locate it. I know where the converter is (under the bed) but I donít see anything on it to reset a gfi. Also, why does it start working again once I plug into shore power?

I appreciate the quick responses. Thanks!
Old 03-01-2020, 03:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses/answers to my question. I don’t have an inverter, just a converter. Also, that is the only outlet that doesn’t work. I also thought there must be another gfi for this outlet but why not a gfi outlet such as in the bathroom? I have searched everywhere for one.
So, if the gfi for this outlet is on the converter where do I locate it. I know where the converter is (under the bed) but I don’t see anything on it to reset a gfi. Also, why does it start working again once I plug into shore power?

I appreciate the quick responses. Thanks!
A GFI outlet controls any electric outlet within 6' of water supply including outside and any ground access storage compartment. Since this is a MH you surely will have 2 GFI outlets. They hide in cabinets and under shelving but in this instance your problem sounds like an Inverter is involved. What model # Hurricane do you have? Specs for a new 29' says 1000 Watt inverter is standard. Do you have a resi fridge?

The fact that the outlet works on shore power but not on battery tells us you must have an inverter that is not working. It is working in pass thru AC mode but not on battery. The only place a GFI outlet will act like that is on an inverter.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:05 AM   #9

per your description, the outlet goes back to working by simply hooking to shore power so I dont think the gfi is tripped , otherwise it would not work even when you hook to shorepower unless you hit the reset on gfi and thus you would know the reason it is not working. Not sure about your motorhome but seems reasonable it should have a inverter .
Darin1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:00 AM   #10

Yes, I leave both switched on all the time. Everyone keeps telling me to check the inverter. I only have a converter on the bed area. All outlets only work when on shore power or on the generator - except the plug above the sink! When on shore power it works but when on the generator it works for a short time and then stops working. Several have indicated I should have two GFI's and that makes sense. The only one I can find is a standard GFI outlet in the bathroom. It doesn't seem to affect the one above the kitchen sink. So, I am at a loss.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Yes, I leave both switched on all the time. Everyone keeps telling me to check the inverter. I only have a converter on the bed area. All outlets only work when on shore power or on the generator - except the plug above the sink! When on shore power it works but when on the generator it works for a short time and then stops working. Several have indicated I should have two GFI's and that makes sense. The only one I can find is a standard GFI outlet in the bathroom. It doesn't seem to affect the one above the kitchen sink. So, I am at a loss.
you may have a cobo converter/inverter. Tell us the model # of your converter.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:23 AM   #12

Took a look around and cannot find much except for a couple of things . 1. Saw a post concerning Thor with no inverter because the model had one battery so an inverter is unlikely . 2. The brochure does not mention an inverter. One post was claiming the converter is crappy and had problems, so not a lot of help. Something is going on that related to you running gen for a while such as circuit overheating? The fact that you can plug in to shore power and do nothing else to get the outlet working tells me it can't be a tripped gfi because then you would have to hit the reset button. Question, when the outlet quits, can you shut off gen ,wait a while and restart and get the out let going again ? My thought is while it is working on gen I would go to the converter or breaker panel and flip breakers to see what breaker is connected to this outlet for starters, also check the source of power that feeds that breaker , and check evert thing between there and gen.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:46 AM   #13

Cavie also.

I have checked the circuit breakers, I have looked for another possible GFI (other than the one on the bathroom), I checked the outlet itself and can't find a solution. I have a converter. It is a Fortron Power, Inc., SRV Series Power Converter. I can't determine the model # because of its location under the bed but I am guessing a Model 32(?) because this is a 30 amp RV plugin. Right next to it is a LYGHT Power System Automatic Transfer Switch. I got this from the owner's manual which doesn't mention an inverter at all and one warranty policy (long out of date) for the converter. The manual doesn't mention the LYGHT system at all.

Now what I have learned or surmised through my own research is that there isn't a second GFI attached to that outlet nor is there a second GFI other than the bathroom and that wouldn't be the problem anyway because if there was it wouldn't work after being tripped even when plugged into shore power (as mentioned previously by Darin). It does work when plugged in. When I unplug and use the generator it works for a few days and suddenly stops(?).

The LYGHT system only keeps the generator and the shore-power from working at the same time. The converter just does its job as far as I can tell.

So, what other things can I check to see why the outlet above the sink quits working while boondocking/dry-camping and using the generator?
Old 03-02-2020, 01:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Cavie also.

I have checked the circuit breakers, I have looked for another possible GFI (other than the one on the bathroom), I checked the outlet itself and can't find a solution. I have a converter. It is a Fortron Power, Inc., SRV Series Power Converter. I can't determine the model # because of its location under the bed but I am guessing a Model 32(?) because this is a 30 amp RV plugin. Right next to it is a LYGHT Power System Automatic Transfer Switch. I got this from the owner's manual which doesn't mention an inverter at all and one warranty policy (long out of date) for the converter. The manual doesn't mention the LYGHT system at all.

Now what I have learned or surmised through my own research is that there isn't a second GFI attached to that outlet nor is there a second GFI other than the bathroom and that wouldn't be the problem anyway because if there was it wouldn't work after being tripped even when plugged into shore power (as mentioned previously by Darin). It does work when plugged in. When I unplug and use the generator it works for a few days and suddenly stops(?).

The LYGHT system only keeps the generator and the shore-power from working at the same time. The converter just does its job as far as I can tell.

So, what other things can I check to see why the outlet above the sink quits working while boondocking/dry-camping and using the generator?
My thought is you gotta check every thing while gen is on and outlet is working , and when outlet is not working to determine what changes. I am an old trial and error guy from way back when I have nothing else to go on

This is what I would do if I was right there. When running on gen and the outlet is working , I would find the breaker that cuts it off by flipping breakers till it does in fact go off, now you know the breaker in question then I would see what feeds that breaker by opening up the converter box cover( I am assuming the breaker is on the converter ), from there keep going perhaps into the transfer switch and so on, then when it is not working I would check again and perhaps you will find your answer. Also I would check the gen output , not sure how your is wired but could it be it has on over load of some sort that cuts out a feed of some sort?

I am sure someone out there can tell you exactly what is wrong because they have experienced the same thing . I know very little about your system but have worked on and fixed about everything possible and I believe with this process of elimination you will find something.

Tags
hurricane, problem, thor